Recommend me some books to read please

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
CaptainCarCrash

Recommend me some books to read please

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Could you recommend me some books to read please, maybe something factual that has had a profound affect on your life. The only thing I ask is that you do not include the Bible or anything that is too inaccesible. So god and Karl Marx are off the menu.

Thanks in advance

Mike
leenewham

Re: Recommend me some books to read please

Post by leenewham »

Cradle to Cradle.

And watch http://www.ted.com if you don't already know of it. It's about brilliance.
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

Encyclopedia Britannica.

The older versions contain some interesting how-to-do-it of things now illegal, or just repressed and are wonderfully non PC in places.
My 1911 edition goes into great detail about the manufacture of Nitro-Glycerine and the Distillation of various drinkables.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Since you're interested in Shakespeare, how about the book I mentioned by James Shapiro: 1599: A Year in the life of William Shakespeare. Lots about the politics of the time. Very happy to lend you my copy.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 17 Jul 2011 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Thus Spake Zarathustra, by Friedrich Nietzsche. Changed my life. The perfect antidote to God. Accessible if you're prepared to make an effort; get an edition (eg Penguin Classics) with a good introduction.

The other book that changed my life is Apologia pro Vita Sua by John Henry Newman, but I'm afraid God comes into that quite a lot.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Pat Barker’s Regeneration trilogy: recently recommended by one of our book club members, I just cannot put them down. An extremely moving account of World War I events and their impact on the lives of all of those touched by them.

The more affective because some of the characters are real life ones (eg war poet Siegfried Sassoon)... these are, really, absolutely compelling & wonderful novels. How come had not read them before??
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

"Pure, White and Deadly" by Prof John Yudkin - probably out of print but you'll be able to get it second hand. A real eyeopener about the poison that is manufacutred sugar and the rise and rise of Tate and Lyle. It would be a banned substance if it were new today. I haven't eaten a doughnut since.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Tim Lund wrote:Since you're interested in Shakespeare, how about the book I mentioned by James Shapiro: 1599: A Year in the life of William Shakespeare. Lots about the politics of the time. Very happy to lend you my copy.
Thanks Tim, I'll pick it up on Saturday morning if you could bring it with you please.
Maria wrote:Pat Barker’s Regeneration trilogy: recently recommended by one of our book club members, I just cannot put them down. An extremely moving account of World War I events and their impact on the lives of all of those touched by them.

The more affective because some of the characters are real life ones (eg war poet Siegfried Sassoon)... these are, really, absolutely compelling & wonderful novels. How come had not read them before??
I've recently read a book called 19th Century poetry, the work of Wilfred Owen made the biggest impact, it took me a while because I found it to be a bit too heavy and it was quite depressing really. Not that I didn't think it was brilliant because it was.
marymck

Post by marymck »

The Wind in the Willows.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

My favourite book of recent years is The Corrections, by Jonathan Franzen
I adore it
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

The Corrections, by Jonathan Franzen
I enjoyed reading it too, though I can't say it has stuck very much in my memory. In fact, I can't remember a thing about it!
Kirkdale Boy

Post by Kirkdale Boy »

My fav book is The Lion , The Witch & The Wardrobe. Yes maybe a childrens book, however I love it
Pantwetter

Post by Pantwetter »

Any Human Heart - William Boyd

Bit of a cliche this one, but Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks is a particular favourite of mine
Kirkdale Boy

Post by Kirkdale Boy »

Im after Fly Fishing by J R Hartley. Any ideas where I can get a copy - LOL
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Best factual book ive read in years..........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/London-Autobiog ... 1845298756
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

My best recommendation would be to pop into Sydenham's very own Kirkdale Bookshop (est. 1966) where Geraldine and her extremely well-informed staff would be more than happy to recommend you literally hundreds of books (most of them on the shelves, new, or second-hand in the basement).

Otherwise my personal recommendation would be Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr (which I reread every few years or so) or anything by cult-gone-mainstream Japanese author Haruki Murakami (though his work may well fall into the 'Marmite' category...)
Kirkdale Boy

Post by Kirkdale Boy »

Michael, now I had you down as an intelligent man, however you are quite boring, keeping on the same topic about sockpoppets, for gods sake, turn the record over