Noise

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

Do you find Sydenham more noisey?

Poll ended at 4 Aug 2006 13:39

YES
36%
NO
18%
Haven't noticed
45%

Total votes: 11

Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Knighton and Leaf I love u both!!! :lol:
leaf

Post by leaf »

:wink: glad to make someone smile.

leaf
lemonade

Nee Naw Nee Naw....Oooh Wooh Wooh!

Post by lemonade »

Hello people.
I must admit I've been having a right laugh at some of your comments!
Going back to my earlier remark, Why aren't there "Low Decibel" sounders for night time use?

Reasontobecheerful, since you're a person with X amount of years in the emergency services, I must ask, Is the sound of the siren as loud in the cab as to what it is on the street? Do you wear ear defenders?

I wonder if anyone's ever put in a claim for being deafened by the use of sirens whilst they've been walking along the street?

Around my way I've noticed lots of unmarked cars with similar sirens. What gets me is you see (& hear) them going one way and you see marked cars going the other way who are not in an emergency!

Furthermore, I was led to believe (I'm no expert) that "panda" cars could not go over 45mph in an emergency situation. Does anyone know if this is true? ...I've seen pandas go much faster, but I guess the police officers driving them know they won't get nicked!!!
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Ssssssh... Has anyone else noticed?

Do you think they have been called in from play because of the security scare?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Yeah, I haven't noticed any sirens recently. Its great.
leaf

Post by leaf »

sorry to burst your bubble but i have!

in upper sydenham anway :wink:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Oh I must've been out.. still haven't heard anything.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

They are much more occasional now.

Maybe reasontobecheerful looked up the Noise Abatement Act and passed the word on.
reasontobecheerful

Post by reasontobecheerful »

Knighton wrote:They are much more occasional now.

Maybe reasontobecheerful looked up the Noise Abatement Act and passed the word on.

Yeah Knighton because thats how i'm really likely to spend my days! Reading the Noise Abatement Act.

I'll leave that to you Victor Meldrew types :roll:
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

Lemonade,
"Panda" cars are a bit misleading, the main difference is in driver classification. Drivers who have been trained can exceed the speed limit, contravene red lights, use blue lights and sirens, etc - if they can justify their actions. Drivers who have not been trained cannot.

Knighton,
Every action taken in a police car is recorded - speed, braking, use of lights and sirens - to suggest that police or other emergency services drive with lights and sirens as they are late for lunch is not only insulting, but simply not true.
If an emergency service driver cannot justify the manner of their driving, then any exemptions do not apply and they can be prosecuted.
SamC

police

Post by SamC »

hi aidy-b. you know lots about the police are you a police officer?. if so can you tell me why you take so long to come out after a burglary and why you dont investigate properly. just give me a crime reference and go?.
leaf

Post by leaf »

seriously though,what are the chances of actually catching a burglar?

the purpose of a crime number is so you can make a claim on your home insurance,obviously there will be irreplacable items lost in a burglary that you will have no chance of ever recovering as stolen items are generally 'moved on' very quickly.

unless the burglars are stll on the premises what difference does it make how quickly the police arrive?

if you were being violently attacked and called the police,would you be happy to be told 'sorry samc weve got to go and see about a burglary that has happened first'
when you call the police what you report is awarded a priority and obviously something that has already happened isnt going to be top.

not sure why you are asking aidy b why HE doesnt respond quickly enough etc,even if he is a police officer surely he cant be held accountable for the actions of every police officer and general police policy?
Footloose

Post by Footloose »

When my house was burgled I knew who had done it. The evidence was all there, despite the half-soaked incompetence of the investigating officers.

At the police station they made a mess of their procedures and so the villains walked.
leaf

Post by leaf »

knighton?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D Hiya all, having just come back from holiday (3 weeks of rain may i add :cry: ) i thought i'd see how the noise debate is getting on.
I must say that since i have been back(tuesday)i have heard a few sirens at night but i am not sure if i noticed them more because i have been on hols to a quiet place in the country or if they are just as bad as when i left!
But one thing's for sure i am even more against noise than i was having seen "life outside sydenham"
8)
leaf

Post by leaf »

glad you had a nice break annie!

lets not get on sydenham too much with the noise thing,anywhere in a built up area is going to be noisy,im sitting in absolute silence right now as im in the deepest darkest countryside staying with relatives!

you know when you're home because it IS noisy,but i wouldnt want to live anywhere else [for now!]

what is that saying?

when you're tired of london,you're tired of life.

welcome home :)
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Siren watch update: Heard one siren at ten to one, last saturday night. Other than that...nothing much.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:o
Thank's for the welcome back leaf,
The noise thing is just an observation of the last few years, i have lived in Sydenham for 30 years and i just think that it has got noisier overnight,(perhaps it's me! getting older )I'm the original grumpy old woman haha. :lol:
leaf

Post by leaf »

you said it! :wink:
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol: Oi cheeky,
anyway according to a couple of people on here we are one? so you may well be insulting yourself :wink:
By the way when i said its got noisier overnight i meant the noise at night has got worse.
I'm waiting for my children to leave home so i can move my bedroom to the back of the house then i can stop moaning :lol: