Relocating to Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Bookem

Relocating to Sydenham

Post by Bookem »

Good Afternoon !

I need some local advice please ! I have just accepted a new job in London and need to relocate with my family from Portsmouth. Sydenham is on our shortlist !

Is it a nice place to live with a young family ? I already know the transport links into the city are good, which is one of the main attractions, but it helps if the town is nice too !

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
dickp

Re: Relocating to Sydenham

Post by dickp »

You've google earthed / streetviewed the areas, right? Google earth's best for locating parks for the kiddies, google streetviews best for getting a feel for actual streets.

If you're not familiar with London, you might not know a couple of factors. Firstly, local high streets tend to be a bit grotty. That's just a fact of life in all but the poshest areas. So don't worry about that - look at the residential streets just a couple of roads back.

Second, areas turn from "nice" to "not so nice" in a very few streets - and then back again. So it's difficult to pick out "nice" and "not so nice" areas. Sydenham's not so bad in that it doesn't have any vast, run down estates.

Personally, I prefer Crystal Palace to Sydenham, because there's more (child friendly) bars and pubs up there. The best roads are probably Auckland or Halmet Road, because the housing stock is REALLY nice.
Bookem

Post by Bookem »

Hi and thank you for your reply.

Pubs and bars are not really a priority for me. Just having a family friendly, fairly safe neighbourhood to live in is most important.

I gather the Sydenham/Crystal Palace area in general is a safe bet.
dickp

Post by dickp »

P.s. i have to ask, because your username is quite distinctive. I am aware of a bookem from another forum i post on. You,re not a lawyer, are you...?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bookem

Post by Bookem »

Hi, no it must be a coincidence !

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
dorino

Post by dorino »

Hello,

I moved to SE26 three years ago, when I was hugely pregnant. I absolutely love living here, much more than I thought I would. There's plenty of open space for kids, and great facilities around in the local area.

I have to say that I've always felt safe here, although with a small child, I don't go out at night that much. I've lived in London for 15 years, and this is the first place where I know all my neighbours, and have felt a part of a community.

The high street in Sydenham may not look very promising, but there's everything you need and some of the shops are very friendly. And there's lots of great housing stock around. There's also other factors which make it a good place to live, like having a brilliant GP surgery.

So a big thumbs up for Sydders from me, you wouldn't regret it!

Good luck.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Is your second name 'Danno' by any chance, Bookem?

We have been in Sydenham almost 4 years and like it here. There are loads of threads on this very forum similar to yours, it's worth searching for them. I'd recommend it.
Bookem

Post by Bookem »

Hi Dorino

Thanks very much for your input, very helpful indeed ! We are coming up to Sydenham tomorrow and Thursday to view some properties.

And Leenewham, you got it !

Cheers
Maria

Post by Maria »

Hi Dan - and welcome to Sydenham. Not that long ago (11 May) someone posted a thread very similar to your entitled (I think) Thinking of moving to Sydenham... please help in Town Hall - and got numerous replies from all sort of helpful neighbours.

If you trace those messages you will get... well, everything you need to know about our fabulous area.

Good luck

maria
Bookem

Post by Bookem »

Thanks Maria, will look it up.

We have just returned from 2 days house hunting in the area. Didn't find anything unfortunately, but will keep searching, as it is definitely the town for us !
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Hey Dan

I moved up here over 10 years ago and have spent a good 8 of those in Forest Hill and Sydenham.

As most have pointed out, in London you generally get both good and 'bad' areas right next to eachother. I do find though that this particular part of SE London (Honor Oak Park through to Crystal Palace) has always felt pretty safe to me and is so much better value for money and far greener than most other parts of London.

I see that you've already had a nose around, so to sum up some of the local areas: Lewisham High Street is like being down town, Catford is like Havant, Honor Oak Park is like Baffins or Copnor, Forest Hill is like a small North End (but greener and with the great Horniman Museum!), Crystal Palace is more Palmerston Rd'ish whilst Syd is more like Hilsea but with Kingston/Fratton Rd running through it!

Hope that helps - and good luck with the new job/house hunt!

Gaz
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Gaz wrote: I see that you've already had a nose around, so to sum up some of the local areas: Lewisham High Street is like being down town, Catford is like Havant, Honor Oak Park is like Baffins or Copnor, Forest Hill is like a small North End (but greener and with the great Horniman Museum!), Crystal Palace is more Palmerston Rd'ish whilst Syd is more like Hilsea but with Kingston/Fratton Rd running through it!
Hilarious description, coming from near Pompey myself. Very funny.

Do we not have a little bit of Albert Road in Sydenham? :D

Cheers

G-Man
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Nah, East Dulwich is Albert Road surely!? :D