I have got damp in my kitchen and bathroom

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Mel

I have got damp in my kitchen and bathroom

Post by Mel »

Hi Lemonade,

This is my first time on this forum.
I have got damp patches in my kitchen and bathroom. I have not lived in Sydenham for very long. When I moved here each room was sound. But I have noticed the wallpaper peeling in the bathroom. Under the paper is mildew and I have noticed a nasty patch appearing in the corner of my kitchen. Both walls are not outside walls but are partitions to each room. Do you have any ideas how I can fix this problem.
I hope you can help me please?
Mel.
lemonade

Dampness

Post by lemonade »

Hello Mel
Firstly Welcome to Sydenham Town Forum. I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Dampness in kitchens and bathrooms found within internal walls are usually caused by condensation. Condensation occurs when warm air comes into contact with a cold surface. Over a period of time this can result in the peeling of wallpaper and damp patches.
Bathrooms and kitchens are high humidity areas resulting in condensation from cooking or running hot water. A way of decreasing condensation in bathrooms is by use of heated towel rails or radiators. This will increase the wall temperature and thereby decreasing the possiblilty of dampness occurring.
The use of an extractor fan in bathrooms or kitchens is another alternative to remove moist air from the room(s). A cooker hood will remove most of the moisture from the air. Another cheaper method is to keep the lids on saucepans whilst cooking.
Special anti-condensation paint is available which you paint onto walls or ceilings. These paints absorb moisture when condensation is present and release it slowly when dry. The paint also contains a fungicide to prevent mildew growing on the walls.
You could also purchase a de-humidifier which will remove moisture from the air. This method will be very effective but could prove a costly measure.
Well I hope this has been of help to you.
All the best.