African Visions at Kente coffee shop

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
BruceHarrison

African Visions at Kente coffee shop

Post by BruceHarrison »

We are fortunate to have a new exhibition of African art at Kente coffee shop, 16 Sydenham Road until the end of October.

The pieces displayed exhibit the talents of artists from Ghana.

Enjoy the art, have a drink, relax and soak up the atmosphere.

The featured artist: Emmanuel Mawuko Arkutu

Born in Ghana, Mawuko's work aims to draw the viewer into a world of African symbolism. Mawuko treats each painting as an opportunity to explore and experiment with, what he describes as his primary obsession – colour. Once he begins to play with colour, he ignites what he calls the “other world” of African mythology in his painting with portrayals of masked heads and Adinkra Symbols (symbolism extracted from the Akan culture).

"Colour is my obsession. For me, all other consideration when I paint are secondary to the basic and universal language and emotions evoked by colour."

African Visions

African Visions is a small team of agents with a passion for original art, and an ambition to raise the profile of tremendously talented artists in West Africa.

African Visions seeks to:
- Provide financial aid and resources for under-exposed, unrecognised artists in Africa.
- Further expose to a universal audience the resourcefulness and talents of featured African artists.
- Add to the decor of your home and encourage your mind to explore the meanings, stories and the culture behind the paintings and artists.
- Inspire those who are new to African art and culture.
Eagle

Re: African Visions at Kente coffee shop

Post by Eagle »

I must pop in George always very hospitable.
Best coffee shop in Sydenham.