Recommendation for washing machine or oven repair

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
fatbob & lordclaire

Recommendation for washing machine or oven repair

Post by fatbob & lordclaire »

Hi
Has anyone recently used a company or individual to fix a washing machine or oven recently that you would recommend?
Cheers

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Janeco

Re: Recommendation for washing machine or oven repair

Post by Janeco »

I suggest Dave for the washing machine - 020 691 7867.
Been using him for repair of domestic appliances for years but not sure if he does ovens.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi. I've tried a couple for a washing machine and a tumble dryer. The trouble is that manufacturers don't make those intending that they be repaired, so even without a call out charge (which is unlikely) the parts are very costly and the labour trying to get at them to fix them even more so.

Ovens could be different as it's the element or fan in electric ovens I think that goes wrong, but again... I reasoned (after a bit of research) that if an old machine and one part replaced, how long before another goes?

However, I gather some machines are easier to fix than others (ease of getting at the bad bit and availability of parts) so could be worth asking that question first off (i.e my brand is...) as some repairers don't even want to look at some makes knowing you (the customer) would never accept the parts/labour bill likely to be involved - plus repairers want to be "in and out" quickly so some just don't want to know.

John Lewis does a 5-yr g'tee on new purchases, other companies are available of course. It's worth weighing up at what point it's better just to give up and buy a new one. Then again, it depends what's gone wrong with yours... Washing machine programmers start at over £100 +labour. Bearings? Frankly I'd forget it if that's the problem. I'm rambling a bit simply because one recommended person cost me £40 for me to told it was beyond repair and another just wouldn't touch it (washing machine that is). As I say, ovens are different but not tried to get one of those repaired.

One of my gas hob knobs seized up on a four-ring hob and I was told the hob would need to be replaced. Mind boggling for just one knob that doesn't work.

Hopefully others have more positive experiences of repairs to "today's" equipment.
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

Yup - I've used Alex Gabriel for years (Speedy Repairs). Knows what he's doing and charges very fair rates. He fixes washing machines/ tumble driers/ ovens. 020 8305 8073.