Astra Hotel - Crystal Palace

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Jules

Astra Hotel - Crystal Palace

Post by Jules »

Has anyone had any experience of the Astra Palace Hotel on Sydenhall Hill. I have a party coming up and have guests looking for somewhere to stay.
I don't want to send them somewhere that might have a bad reputation.
If you know of any other Hotels details would be appreciated.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Hi Jules
There is a leaflet available from the town hall (I've actually seen it in the planning dept) listing approved hotels in the borough. It might be available on the Lewisham website, or they might send you one if you ring them. I don't know anyone who has used the Astra Palace - the Queens Hotel in Crystal Palace might be a better bet.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I'm not sure about that hotel particularly, but many of the hotels around the area are used as temporary residences for asylum seekers. Not that it is necessarily a problem, and I believe that does that do generally also take paying guests.

I think there is a nice little B&B on Fox Hill?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Hi Jules

I have also heard that the Astra is used by the DHSS as a halfway house. The Queens Hotel at Crystal Palace is a better bet, but I've heard things about that place too.

There is a Best Western Hotel, The Bromley Court, which is just off Downham Way - probably about a tenner by minicab, which is probably the best place within a 5 mile radius.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Thanks for the tips guys.
Can't believe we don't have a decent Hotel in our area.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I can.

I don't mean it to be negative but it doesn't surprise me we don't. Why would we? Apart from the centre of town for the tourists and near Heathrow or Gatwick I'm not sure why any area of London would need a hotel.

Maybe if we start to wake up and get our act together and start to make use of Sydenham Hill Park (a.k.a Crystal Palace) et al then the Astra might enjoy a rebirth.
cnateghi

Post by cnateghi »

Don't go to this hotel!!

my family stayed here for 1 night. They were promised breakfast, but all they got was stale bread, left-over butter, some old jar of jam and some expired milk. When they asked for something to eat at 08.00 am, they were answered rudely by the manager, "Tony", with the phrase "What is your problem? Why are you complaining? Why are you walking down the stairs so early?"

"Friendly and Welcome" it states on their business card. They should change this to "Friendly and Welcome (until you have paid...)"
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

Hi Jules

We looked at the Queens Hotel for any guests staying after our wedding and it didn't take long to realise I did not want any of my family or friends having to stay there, the reception area is ok but the room we looked at was straight out of a 70's Australian soap opera and some of the other 'guests' didn't look too appealing either.

In the end we put the parents up at a B&B in Dulwich (nothing flash but cheap & clean & friendly) here's the link, you may find the website useful.

http://www.bedandbreakfast-directory.co ... p?id=25389
Angel2812

Re: Astra Hotel - Crystal Palace

Post by Angel2812 »

I stayed in the Astra hotel last weekend with my family and after one night we booked another hotel. The woman who runs the reception (Tonie) is not friendly and gets angry when u wake up early (stange isn't it?). The breakfast was horrible. The milk was souer and the bread was expired for 10 days already. When we asked for a normal breakfast (we payed for it), she got angry. We checked out but payed for a second night already. We never got our money back (75 pounds).
The next hotel we stayed was Chrystal Palace hotel. This hotel was cheaper than the Astra hotel, but is was very nice. The people who work there are nice and friendly, the rooms are clean and the breakfast was good. So don't book the Astra hotel, you will regret is.

Angel
cnateghi

Post by cnateghi »

Yes i think they are kosovan and don't care about the world, except for the money they can get from mugging people off. They have a very bad attitude and I don't recommend anyone going there.

The Queens Hotel in Crystal Palace is much nicer and cheaper as well.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Thanks for the advice.
I will make sure non of my guest book into the Astra.
Sounds a bit like the Bates Motel !!!