ghost stories of sydenham?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SamC

Post by SamC »

Greg Whitehead wrote:For what it's worth SamC I applaud the way in which you consider Westow Hill to be Sydenham and not in a pedantic way.

Unless, of course, you're a two property girl and own in Sydenham and Upper Norwood?

Yes, I do really have too much time on my hands :wink:
hi greg. no i do not have two houses. i wish i did. i live at the lower end of westow hill. it is definately sydenham! between kirks and jews walk. if i live in upper norwood i would just say so. i applaud you greg for sticking with the forum even though you said you were going (in a pedantic way of course) :)
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Why thank you. I couldn't dissapoint the fans.

It seems, I have made one more. Hey ho.

I'm going to take it up with the people at the Ordnance Survey, AtoZ and land registry on your behalf Sam, that's how much of a pedant I am. Quite clearly they have got it completely wrong and you are the only person in the world who is correct that Westow Hill isn't in Upper Norwood.

Shall I talk to Streetmap also Sam? :roll:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... search.srf

Don't tell me you're a friend of Megan and Pippa?
SamC

Post by SamC »

Greg Whitehead wrote:Why thank you. I couldn't dissapoint the fans.

It seems, I have made one more. Hey ho.
what do u mean by one more.? you have made one more what.? really greg i am in sydenham. my postcode is se26 just like yours. if you have somthing to say i would appreciate your honesty to just come out with it. what fans would be disappointed.? please greg talk to me. tell me what is on your mind. pm if you want too.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I'm toying with you a little - which is wrong Sam and for that I apologise. I mean I rub people up the wrong way, intentionally or otherwise and those people I call my 'fans'

I think you mean you live on Westwood Hill? That is why I'm being pedantic as your signature says Westow Hill which is in Crystal Palace or Upper Norwood as it's offically known. Hence me being a pedant.

Friends again?
SamC

forever friends

Post by SamC »

hi greg. yes friends again.x. i have to admit i did originally use a false address as at the time i was not sure if i should reveal my real address for internet safety reasons. i used to live in westow hill before moving to westwood hill so i used my old address. so thinking of it yes you would be perfectly correct to say westow hill is in upper norwood. now that is out of the way it seems to me you have someone called chrisf on your case. whats it all about.? :?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Not quite sure if it's restricted just to me. I think Chris' problem seems to be with the world but I'm of the opinion he's being deliberately obtuse and may actually be quite a nice chap.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Ok heres the ghost story I have, It's not quite Sydenham , but Penge I'm afraid.
My friend used to live in a house on Thicket road back in the late eighties, he claimed to of once looked out his window and seen walking down the road,just on the corner of Orchard Garden, a woman who was totally white, as in everything: her body, hair, cloths ,shoes, bag ,she reflected NO colour in her form whatsoever but was a colourless spectre walking down the road...
leaf

Post by leaf »

WWwwwooooOOOooooo!!!

come on sydenhamites,there must be more spooky stories out there?

halloween is approaching,lets get spooky! :twisted:
Annie

Re: ghost stories

Post by Annie »

SamC wrote:hello leaf and everybody else.
my dad told me of a tunnel not too far away from here in penge/norwood. many years ago my dad worked for the railway. there is a tunnel known as the bunny hole. does anybody else know of this place.? it was once used as an escape route for armed robbers who drove their getaway car up to the bridge, got out and ran thru the tunnel and into another car waiting the other side. The filth were stuck at the beginning of the tunnel at the end of chartham se25. :lol: :twisted: :lol: zwhen the tunnel was being built it caved in killing a builder. the builder haunts the tunnel. if you walk through it is quite narrow and not very tall but you feel the tunnel is about to cave in on you. it is not a very nice feeling at all. but i still go back for more. i have not ever seen a ghost but i would love to. i would try not to be scared. we should all meet up for haloween :?: sydenham woods :evil: haha.
:lol: Hiya i used to live almost next door to The Bunny Hole great place for courting haha ah yes i remember it well!!! :wink:
I think its gone now hasn't it?that was in or should i say just off Warwick road/Withem road my teens were spent there.
Juwlz

GHOST SQUIRREL!!!

Post by Juwlz »

GHOST SQUIRREL!!!

Following on from stone-penge's post about the ghostly woman walking down thicket road. I have had that story in mind for a while and been meaning to go and look at that spot in the spooky hope of seeing an apparition. I have just come back from running around Crystal Palace Park and I took a detour out of the gate at the bottom of the park, and under the bridge to have a look at the corner of Orchard Grove. I noticed that there is a very old looking red brick retaining wall on that side of the road. But I didnt see any completely white non-light reflecting ladies, so I ran off into the park. A few minites later I was up near the pond where they do the fishing, opposite the entrance on to Crystal Palace Park road when I saw some people looking up at a tree and pointing a camera up there. I looked up and there was COMPLETELY WHITE ALBINO SQUIRREL!!! It reflected no light at all!!! Could this be the white lady in a different form - her familiar perhaps???.....woooooooooooooooooo!!!!
I spoke to the man who was trying to take a photo but he said nothing really came out on the camera!
I'm going right back there now with my camera. If I manage to get a photo I'll find a way to post it up. But bear in mind - ghosts don't really come out on film...
leaf

Post by leaf »

sorry to disapoint you julwz,but there used to be a white squirrel that lived along sydenham hill a few years back....maybe its one of its descendants?

thanks for upping this thread though as halloween approaches :twisted:

any ghostly tales out there?
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

How can something be white and non-reflective? "white" is actually what we see when all colours are reflected, "black" when none are.

If it was albinio then it would be white (or whiteish depending on the degree) and pretty clear against a dark background, though not necessarily against the sky if you were looking/photographing upwards....

Could it just have been a pale grey squirrel in a shady tree that a camera flash or exposure didn't pick up well?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

sigh...yes I KNOW that if it didn't reflect light you wouldn't be able to see it at all. I was just being facetious because that's what stone-penge put in their original post about the ghost lady.
However, I saw this squirrel with my own eyes (no I don't need glasses), and not a photo. This was a genuine totally white albino squirrel, nothing grey about it at all - it was half way up a tree only about 3 metres away from me so I got a very good look at it . And I'm leaving the house now to try and get a photo of it.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Although I've never seen one, albino squirrels are apparently not uncommon, as [this site] shows. Good luck with the photo, Juwlz
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

There was an albino squirrel for several of years in the area around the stream in Wells Park. However, I haven't seen it for some while.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I went back and found the squirrel in pretty much the exact same place as before. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find my zoom lens since I moved so I brought my husband's camera which I have never used before and didn't have much of a clue how to work it. So I managed to get some shots but they are very blurry. I am going to have a look and see if they are any use at all. At the point when I finally managed to figure out the camera (sort of), the squirrel went all shy and hid behind a load of leaves. Typical.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

And then your Dog ate it Julwz? :wink: (your homework type thing and not the squirrel)

I believe you.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Thanks Steve, Pat and leaf for the white squirrel inf., especially the link to the pics - just slightly better than what I was able to achieve, ahem.
Leaf - I am in no way disappointed -since I have never seen a white squirrel before. If you got the chance to go on a trip to the moon would you be disappointed that someones already been before? :o
leaf

Post by leaf »

juwlz

i only meant that it wasnt a spectoral squirrel!

dont fancy the moon much,but i get your point :wink:
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

still_robbo wrote:How can something be white and non-reflective? "white" is actually what we see when all colours are reflected, "black" when none are.

If it was albinio then it would be white (or whiteish depending on the degree) and pretty clear against a dark background, though not necessarily against the sky if you were looking/photographing upwards....

Could it just have been a pale grey squirrel in a shady tree that a camera flash or exposure didn't pick up well?
Still-Robbo; you are confusing the natural world with the super natural one.
The laws of physics need not apply in the latter one.(and obviously don't)