This weekends walk...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Greg Whitehead

This weekends walk...

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Morning,

This might be quicker than PM. I'm afraid I've been informed that this Saturday represents a clash with my diary (A friend is getting married over in Richmond).

Would Sunday be possible? Clearly those who have already agreed reserve the right to go on ahead on Saturday but Pat, Julia, Steve, Giles, Caroline and Steve, does this work for you?

If not I'll see you all on the second 'Lower, Upper & Sydenham Hill rambling society' excursion.

My partner Katherine may join us also.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Sunday is even better for me, as my friend Tony can join us (he's not interested in Sydenham but can appreciate the exercise). I didn't even realise we were going Saturday; I assumed it was Sunday anyway. Saturday is usually a busy day for people, but then I know a lot of people who aren't usually available on Sunday for some reason, ie. Church. But this walkabout would start about 4:30pm in the afternoon? Or I could probably leave earlier at 4pm because it starts to get dark earlier now? If you arrive at the Crystal Palace Museum about 3:45pm, that would be good. I just hope it's not raining... Remember, that outdoor theatrical show they recently did at Wells Park? Well, when we got there it was cancelled because of the rain, so we had to go back home. Anyway, no point being negative... we've been fortunate enough to have many sunny days throughout september, so hopefully it'll continue for the start of October before winter properly kicks in... I look forward to meeting you guys on Sunday, otherwise depending on how everything goes, I could see you on the next walkabout instead?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

One last reminder... you might want to bring a bottle of water or something... This walk would probably be over 3 hours, unless everyone starts slacking... remember, preparation is the key! :wink:
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Falkor wrote:One last reminder... you might want to bring a bottle of water or something... This walk would probably be over 3 hours, unless everyone starts slacking... remember, preparation is the key! :wink:

"Sir, yes Sir!" :lol:
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Assuming I'm one of the Steves mentioned, I won't be able to make it on Sunday - off to Barcelona for a birthday treat. Anyway, I look forward to reading about it here when I return.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I did indeed mean your good self Mr Grindlay.

Have a great time in Barcelona and hope to perhaps see you at the next walk.

21 again eh?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Sunday 4.00pm is ok for me.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

See you at the Museum, 15:45 tomorrow.

Boots and water bottle waiting at my front door :D
leaf

Post by leaf »

hello all

im afraid i wont be able to make it to todays walk :cry:

my youngest son is a bit under the weather and despite his dads reassurances,he doesnt want mummy to leave him.

apologies to all,i hope it goes well,i look forward to the next[?]one.

leaf
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Ok. Lets be having your excuses* (yes I'm mainly talking about you Greg). Well its your loss because I have just returned from the most fascinating walk around Sydenham. Many, many thanks to Falkor for letting us in on the secrets of some of Sydenham's hidden gems (plus, we actually discovered some new ones!(well new to us)) including a ravine which looks like the start of the original watercourse down from Sydenham Hill) plus the only bit of the original Sydenham common left!. Those of you who couldn't make it - well all I can say is don't miss the next one. Falkor is going to deliver a full write up so I'll leave it to him (including photo evidence!)to show you what you missed.

*Oh, I get it - you are all saving yourselves for tonight's tyre rolling contest. :roll:
leaf

Post by leaf »

ooer!

i feel even worse now :?

i do hope i can make the next one and i look forward to falkors write up.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

oh well leaf, you had a good excuse and also you had the decency to inform of your absence beforehand - by the way I hope your son is feeling better now.
leaf

Post by leaf »

thanks julwz
he is fast asleep right now,just a cold,but not nice when you're little and want your mum!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Greg et al, you guys let us down in a big way! Only Juwlz turned up, but we made the most of it anyway. I thought Greg might have had a hangover or motorcycle accident--I really didn't know to think!? We gave you the benefit of the doubt and waited a bit, but no sign of anyone else. Nevertheless, my friend Tony, Julia, and myself had a great time. We was a bit confused on what route to take, as most of the pre-planned route was for Greg's benefit, ie. the 2 tunnel mouths at High Level Drive/Hollow Combe. We mainly checked out the site of the Crystal Palace High Level station, as Julia had never explored here before, plus she was already somewhat familiar with the Hollow Combe area because she lives nearby in Longton Avenue. Julia really made the walk interesting by suggesting certain roads/paths to explore, which I had never thought about going down before. As Juwlz stated above, previously unbeknownst to us, we discovered a new stretch of Dulwich Woods and what we believe to be the source of one of those Wells Park streams. Considering she wasn't brought up in the area, Julia's enthusiam and passion about Sydenham is very surprising indeed. Thank you for making the effort to turn up and come along on the walkabout despite the main man and chief organisor, Greg, not being there, nor leaf, nor Pat (really wanted to meet you as well) nor Steve (Illuminance?). That really took a lot of courage, and we were very honoured to have just Julia's company. The ultimate companion would most definitely be Mr. Grindlay for sure, as Greg suggested in a previous topic, whom would no doubt--with his awesome knowledge--have made the walk even more interesting; maybe next time, guys? Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed today's walkabout and hope we can do it again sometime soon. It never rained, and if anything, we all benefitted from the exercise. I'll start a new topic in the Town Hall section and post up all the photos from the event. Thanks again Juwlz!
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Absolutely flippin marvellous.

Sorry for letting you down, I was under the impression - via a PM - that the event had been rained off.

I had been looking forward to it all week.

Just puts the icing on the cake to a thouroughly horrible weekend.

Regards

Steve
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Oh dear. I seem to have borne the brunt here and deservedly so.

I'm sorry. I'm already in the doghouse with Katherine for consuming too much alcohol and making a fool of myself at the wedding. On Sunday I was keen to do the walk but the outlook didn't look good.

I'm really sorry Steve for telling you it had been rained of. I had a discussion with Pat and at the time there was violent rain, thunder and lightning - as there had been for most of the day. Being on the top of a hill surrounded by woods didn't seem the best place to be.

I know it wasn't my call to make. Perhaps we could look to do next week? (I'll bring the tar and feathers).

Let's talk beforehand and not rely on this forum or email?

Work: 020 7316 9172 / Mobile 07801 194177

Looking forward to the pictures though!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Sorry, guys, from me, too!

I had previously pm'd Greig and Leaf that I could only make part of the walk and suggested to Greig that he called me when in sight of either the Woodhouse or Upper Sydenham Station. The weather was certainly a factor in my not turning up - also the fact that Wells Park closes at dusk - your pix (and congratulations on these) indicate that we would not have made the Wells Pk part of the walk.

Re the Millenium Green - Steve G knows about this as he (representing Sydenham Society) was part of the the consultation group which made the bid to the Millennium Commission. This came about because in 1994 there was an application to put 11 houses on this land to which Sydenham Society and local residents successfully objected. NB there were only two Millenium Greens created in London and this is one of them.

Also there is another part of the old Sydenham Common left - now known as Kirkdale Green. As part of local open land previously known as Collingtree Triangle it was under also under threat of development back in 1994 - 13 houses - a vigorous local campaign (again Sydenham Society and local residents) resulted in it being left undeveloped and subsequently landscaped.

1994 was a very busy year - two old Victorian houses 24 and 26 Longton Avenue (one owned by the Council, the second bought by the council at a very low market value as they would not confirm that they would never put a compulsory purchase order on it) were demolished and there was a threat of 18 houses being built within the current parkland. The local residents association and Sydenham Society campaigned rigorously against this and with the assistance of local councillors this plan was also withdrawn. This site is now the Woodland conservation area within the park - which is in need of a good management plan - but which is still there for the benefit of park users.

Hope to be able to do another walkabout before long - I'm happy to pm my e-mail address for this purpose
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Pat

I am interested in those old houses (24 and 26 Longton Ave) because I know a bit about the people who used to live in no. 24 before it was knocked down. At least I think it was number 24 but I'll check.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

No worries, guys! Maybe we can try again next weekend or the weekend after (whenever convenient).

Pat, thanks for the info... still have to check out that triangle... I got your email address.

Greg, I'l give you a call sometime...
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

I'm definitely up for trying again, boots and water are still eagerly waiting by the front door :)