CONCERTS IN THE PARK

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
MR G.

CONCERTS IN THE PARK

Post by MR G. »

WHO KNOWS WHY THE SUMMER CONCERTS IN CRYSTAL PALACE PARK (PROMS ETC) STOPPED A FEW YEARS AGO? THEY SEEMED TO ATTRACT A BIG CROWD FOR EVERY EVENING AND THEN NOTHING?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

It was a small problem of Bromley Council using an agent to book the concerts which resulted in a dispute over who was due to pay the orchestras (if I recollect correctly this was something in the region of £86k) which led to concerts in CP Pk being blacklisted by the orchestras.
leaf

Post by leaf »

hello pat

do you know much about the application for a late alcohol licence that has been applied for by bromley council for crystal palace park?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I have been asked about the licence application for a late alcohol licence for Crystal Palace Park. The following is information I have obtained from the councillors elected to represent Crystal Palace Ward, Chris Gaster and John Canvin.

A premises licence application has been submitted to Bromley Council (the licencing authority) by the London Development Agency (who are expected to sign a 125 year lease for the park sometime between now and 2009, and who are currently managing the park). The application is in respect of "Crystal Palace Park, Thicket Road, SE20 8DT".

The application says that it is for licensable events ranging from concerts (classical, pop and/or rock), circuses or fairs, or other events (films, live music or dance performances) and for a maximum attendance of 29,999.

Alcohol would be available for sale from 4pm - 11.30 pm on Mondays and Tuesdays; 4 pm - 11 pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays; 11 am - 2 am Fridays and Saturdays; and 12 noon - 10.30 pm on Sundays.

Regulated entertainment can be held Monday - Thursday (10 am - midnight); Friday - Saturday (9 am - 3.30 am); Sunday (11 am - midnight). Late night refreshment to be available Friday - Saturday (11 pm - 3 am).

Representations (objections) to a licence application can be based on the following reasons only:
1) crime and disorder
2) public nuisance
3) public safety
4) protection of children from harm

The councillors advise that they will be making representations on the grounds that the sale of alcohol and entertainments taking place after midnight is likely to cause considerable nuisance to local residents.

If anyone on this Forum thinks that this application is excessive they should send their comments in writing to the Licensing Team at Bromley Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH by 10 October. It is important to make views known to the Licensing panel as without evidence to the contrary they may be unable to refuse this application.
leaf

Post by leaf »

thanks pat
Georgina Flannagan

Licensing application re:Thicket Road Crystal Palace

Post by Georgina Flannagan »

[quote="leaf"]thanks pat[/quote]This application is worrying and needs to have much attention paid to it. The closing date is 4 October on the notice at the entrance to the Dinosaur area not 10 Oct, as is said in the letter to residents. For my part i have opposed the request for a blanket licence for alcohol+lentertainment. Concerts,etc. are wonderful in the Concert bowl,which is designed for them...but live or recorded music on the playing field or in the Dionosaur area would be a considerable nuisance to residents and to the usual park visitor. Clearly alcohol being available for sale would be an unpleasant intrusion into the normal enjoyment of the park by children,families and others during the daytime.....and a real nuisance for residents after 11.30 at night! All who like me think that we must oppose this application shoul e-mail bromley licensing or write to the by October 4th,2006....ie. by Wednesday this week.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:( Crikey i missed the deadline,I live in LPG but i didnt recieve any notification of dates etc? When the old concerts etc were being held i didnt mind the booming fireworks even if they did make my house shake because i knew at 10 oclock it would be finishing, but my god not 3am?? i have toi get up at 5.30 some mornings what is going to happen? :shock:
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

I think this smacks of NIMBYism - a couple (max) of concerts a year can't be a bad thing for the area can it?
leaf

Post by leaf »

im inclined to agree with you still robbo,i have thought as much myself,i wondered what it was all about,the first i heard of it was when someone asked me if id heard about it yet and wasnt it awful!

will it be that bad?

the only thing i can say would quite possibly be a bad thing is the lateness of it[or should that be earliness?!]

i lived very near to cp as a child [up to late teens] and we loved the free firework shows from mums bedroom window!

i think it might depend on the music genre of artists too,what sort of events would they be?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:(
i have no objection to the music Robbo just the late hour it could spill out onto sydenham once it has finished,People surely can voice their concerns?
i don't fancy the possibility of being woken up early in the morning or after a couple of hours sleep!
every thing in moderation i say. :lol:
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

Yes of course they can - that's what the forum is all about. I just didn't want it to be a whitewash of comments that were negative about the proposition.

For what it's worth I also think the later hours that they are seeking approval for are far too late. Concerts in Hyde Park end at 11 o' clock and I think that we should be seeking something similar - I don't think that's an unreasonable compromise for a residential area.

What I was concerned about was that people were encouraging others to help block the prospect entirely and that would be a shame.

Sorry my original comment was so harsh.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol:
Understood Robbo,
I'm all for the park being used as a music venue etc, infact i would love to see the actual Crystal Palce rebuilt, as the photos that were put on the forum were brilliant,
but failing that lets make the most of the lovely park and let it be versatile in what it offer's but just kept to a reasonable hour. :wink:
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

Just wanted to say that I agree with stillrobbo. I think that it would be great to have concerts in Crystal Palace park. It would help put the place on the map. Better to have a few concerts there than have the place built on!

I accept that there is the possibility of some disruption because of the late licence, but we can deal with that IF it causes problems. But let's not assume the worst and enjoy the fact that we are going to have (hopefully) great entertainment on our doorsteps.