Sydenham Walkabout (14-Oct-06)

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Falkor

Sydenham Walkabout (14-Oct-06)

Post by Falkor »

Click on photo for original size--compressed to 70%...

Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Wow, the photos look cool. Sort of like art. Look out Saatchi is on his way with his chequebook!
P.S. - love the juxtaposition of the old people's home with the skeleton!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Phew!

That was St. Clements retirment home in the first few? What a view!

You're certainly brave Falkor, Julwz (and I assume John?) to go all the way in. Certainly alot of water ingress...think I might have stayed outside watching the bags on this one - only joking I'll have to go in again.

BTW Falkor I think Rebelmc has a friend who would be keen to see the platform pictures.
lemonade

Very Interesting Pictures

Post by lemonade »

Hello
I'm really amazed by the tunnel photos. I've keenly viewed all the photos taken on all the walkabouts, but the tunnel pics are really something else.
Perhaps I could hitch up for one of your walkabouts in future? (That's if it's open to non-sydenhamites)
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Of course you are welcome Lemonade.

I think already we have Rob & Leaf penned in for next week. Rebelmc and Illuminance??

What about Pat and Steve (Grindlay)?

What do we think about a good old mooch around?

Maybe start at the CP museum (earlier than normal) taking in Charleville Circus and LPG then back up to Sydenham Hill, along to Eliot Bank then down (via Albion Villas etc, etc) and ending up a the Thorpes or All Saints (potentially having a pre-gastropub drink in the Dolphin) or The Golden Lion?

@ Julwz and Falkor are you free?

Illuminance, what do you know of the church at the bottom of Trewsbury Road that's been bombed but quite sympathetically restored (IMO)?
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 15 Oct 2006 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Are we talking Sunday? I think I can schedule a window in my busy diary :wink:
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Sunday was what I was thinking.

Falkor - have you removed some of the pictures? Some seem to no longer template.
leaf

Post by leaf »

falkor,your pictures look good even when its just a dark old tunnel!

was it just me or did one of those tunnel pics[at the beginingish of the tunnel ones]look like one of those ghjost apperition photos?

hazy mist over it?

greg i would have been outside with the bags too on this one!!

st clements heights looks lovely.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU for posting the pictures.

I might be taking liberties here, and I know it is very time consuming, but is there any chance of telling us where some of these pictures were taken (or possibly an audio recording attached :)

Maybe something like pics 1-6 Wells Park; 7 - 13 Crystal Palace Parade etc etc

Sorry to be a pain :cry:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

leaf

In the tunnel it is cold and when you breath its like in winter, a spooky fog comes out of your mouth. That's what that is on the photo. Either that or a ghost.
leaf

Post by leaf »

juwlz

aah yes i see,mind you falkor must have been holding his breath for the rest of the pics.............or yikes,maybe it was a ghost,run scooby!!
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Greg Whitehead wrote:
Illuminance, what do you know of the church at the bottom of Trewsbury Road that's been bombed but quite sympathetically restored (IMO)?
Erm, I have absolutely no idea!!

Need to pop down that end of Sydenham this week sometime so will make a point of looking.

Talking of time, I don't think I'll be able to make it on Sunday. Got too much on my plate at the mo and diary is full. Gutted, as I'm fascinated with all the information that is coming to the surface. I will make time for the next walk tho.

Cheers all
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Greg, if it's the building on the corner of Trewsbury Road and Sydenham Road you're referring to it was not bombed, just neglected for the best part of 100 years, before being converted to flats. I wrote an article on it some time ago (I should update it, really), which Admin has placed here: [Sydenham Chapel]

On the other hand you might mean the church at the opposite end of the road (called Cator Road once it crosses the Lewisham/Bromley boundary). Beyond the fact that it was burnt down some years ago, I can add nothing to Illuminance's comment.
lemonade

Walkabout

Post by lemonade »

Hello
Thanks for letting me tag along. Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend as I'm working...I'm very busy with work at the moment, mind you Christmas is coming and I need the extra dosh!
But I'll be up for it as soon as my work schedule slackens.
I'll be in touch as soon as I know I'm free.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Steve Grindlay wrote:Greg, if it's the building on the corner of Trewsbury Road and Sydenham Road you're referring to it was not bombed, just neglected for the best part of 100 years, before being converted to flats.
Thanks Steve, I had read your notes on All Saints (old & new). The church I was referring to was a the Penge end of Trewsbury Road as I call it, or as you rightly stated, the end of Cator Road.

Such a lovely road - whatever it it's called. I've seen a few million pound homes come up and thought, if only :cry: (although it incresingly seems a bit of a rat-run?)
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Just to say - pl accept my apologies for Sunday's walk - very busy w/e end coming up! Enjoy yourselves...
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Just to say, i loved the photos i feel like i "was there"Thankyou :)
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I might not be able to make Sunday now either, but I'll let u know.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Shame so many cannot make it... :cry: That tunnel adventure will take some beating though... Some of you are probably becoming bored with walking around Sydenham; I'm sure you guys can think of some better things to do at the weekend anyway. We're all advised to take so many steps each day for health reasons, so rather than being stuck behind a PC all day (part of my job), I now like to get out more. Before, I used to hate walking, but now I enjoy it (only around Sydenham of course). I'm always working at the Crystal Palace Museum each weekend, so if anybody would ever like to meet up for another Sydenham Walkabout (or even guided tour around Crystal Palace Park), feel free to pop along either Saturday or Sunday between 3:30 to 4:30. If arranged beforehand, I'm always willing to meet elsewhere--or even earlier--doesn't have to be at the museum. Juwlz, Greg (etc), let me know when you've read the first few chapters of "Sydenham and Forest Hill Past"; I bet you'd soon be up for the Riverside Walk along the Pool River? :o Remember, the history of Sydenham starts with the Pool River! However, I'm only willing to go along if our party consists of atleast 3 people--too dangerous otherwise. Again, I'd just like to remind you, this is the ultimate Walkabout! :lol: You ain't seen nothing yet... :wink: I don't know if you're ready for it... :P

P.S. Throughout November, my friend Tony will be stewarding at the museum and joining me on walkabouts every weekend for that month, as he's taking a holiday from his workplace.
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

I'm still up for it Falkor, if we can make up quorum. Weak preference for Sunday over Saturday.