Advice for the future!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Annie

Advice for the future!

Post by Annie »

Conversation I overheard in Sainsburys the other day,

(mum) Nah-you dont get piss*d in the pub.

(8/9 yr old child) Why not?

(mum) cos you gotta go to the nightclub after,gotta pace yerself.

Sign of our times maybe? :(
14BradfordRoad

Re: Advice for the future!

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Oh dear, bad habits passed on to the very young!
Disturbing, what hope can there be? :shock: :shock:
Annie

Post by Annie »

quite sad I thought.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Speechless.
Are they a fit mother ? I am sure my mother never went out pubing and drinking in clubs when I was that age.

I also agree very sad for the child and society.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

How utterly depressing.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Judgmental snobs at it again.

I don't know, maybe utopia isn't what it was and we now live in a shit pit called reality.

Although I wouldn't really have that conversation with my own children, people have different standards and levels of ignorance.

Just imagine me telling my son about how easy women are when you play in a rock band and the fact you never have to pay for the drugs and if someone offers acid don't drop it until after the gig because the last thing you need is to start coming up on acid during the intro of song number 4 in a live situation. He's only 8 years old, I'll wait until he's at least 10.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I thought it was quite sensible advice, assuming the mother meant it to be advice for the future and didn't expect the kid to be going out clubbing this weekend. Pace yourself - yes, excellent advice.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Annie

Post by Annie »

God almighty :roll:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Don't you find it rather sad that someone would say that to a young child Mike?

I do.

Are you saying that it's ok or a great example of parenting?

I don't.

It's interesting how the word 'snob' has changed. Is this snobbery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSahEDR ... re=related
Annie

Post by Annie »

leenewham wrote:Don't you find it rather sad that someone would say that to a young child Mike?

I do.

Are you saying that it's ok or a great example of parenting?

I don't.

It's interesting how the word 'snob' has changed. Is this snobbery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSahEDR ... re=related

I take Mikes posts with a pinch of salt,I assume he has a dry sense of humour.
but the other one! beggers belief! :shock:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Mine too, watch the video Annie.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Annie wrote:
Do you mean me, Annie?

Okay, let me clarify my position. I imagine that child is growing up in a house where s/he frequently see alcohol consumed, maybe to excess. Is that an ideal situation? Of course not. It's very sad. But it's probably the reality for a lot of children.

I've heard a lot recently about 'pre-loading', where people drink vast quantities of cheap supermarket-bought alcohol before they go out for the night. It's why so many young and not-so-young people are dangerously drunk on our streets at the weekend. By dangerously I mean that they are making themselves very vulnerable. Given how common this has become, I would much rather this mother told her child it was good practice to pace oneself when drinking alcohol, because actually it is.

Would it be bad advice to give to older teens of legal drinking age? I don't think so.

What's sad about the situation you observed was that a child that young is clearly being exposed to experiences we would all rather children not know about. But, given the probably reality of that child's home life, in context, and all things considered, there is much worse advice his / her mother could give.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I'm not sure Lee's video is much to do with snobbery, unlike the original version (with John Cleese, was it?) on which it is based and which poked fun at upper, middle and lower class attitudes.

I assumed that by 'snob' Mike meant something like, 'someone who publicly criticizes another person's behaviour in such a way as to give the impression (e.g. by speaking in an apparently patronizing, judgmental or stereotyping way) that they are claiming to be of a superior social status to that other person.'

No doubt he will correct me if I've misunderstood.
CaptainCarCrash

Yes you are right Robin, that's exactly what I meant.

People have different levels of what is acceptable for their kids, my parents were very 1950's and did not embrace such activities on a regular basis, they very rarely drank booze, never saw my parents drunk, ever. they had what I would consider very old fashioned values, 1950's suppression. They were grown ups by the 1960's with a young family so they missed out on all the free love and what ever else came with that decade so they were stuck in sort of post war depression they never really escaped from until the 1990's. The 70's were especially difficult for them, I think that a lot of the things I found myself doing was down to older siblings, especially my older brother who is five years older than me. We give thanks that we are separated by a five year gap because lord knows what sort of havoc we would have wreaked if it was only a couple of years.

Can Annie be certain it was the child's mother and not an older sister? even so as I said it's not the sort of conversation I'd have with my kids. There are a lot of ignorant people around that have never been taught the basics of what types of subjects are suitable for children's ears.

Common sense to the likes of us might not register on lesser peoples moral compass, although the word p*ssed is not suitable and the word drunk would have been better in what was obviously an inappropriate conversation I'm convinced that there are probably more disturbing events on council estates all over the country.

Some of the people around Sydenham are low evolved, are ill-educated and they are having children, shocking isn't it.
CaptainCarCrash

rshdunlop wrote:
Annie wrote:
Do you mean me, Annie?

Okay, let me clarify my position. I imagine that child is growing up in a house where s/he frequently see alcohol consumed, maybe to excess. Is that an ideal situation? Of course not. It's very sad. But it's probably the reality for a lot of children.

I've heard a lot recently about 'pre-loading', where people drink vast quantities of cheap supermarket-bought alcohol before they go out for the night. It's why so many young and not-so-young people are dangerously drunk on our streets at the weekend. By dangerously I mean that they are making themselves very vulnerable. Given how common this has become, I would much rather this mother told her child it was good practice to pace oneself when drinking alcohol, because actually it is.

Would it be bad advice to give to older teens of legal drinking age? I don't think so.

What's sad about the situation you observed was that a child that young is clearly being exposed to experiences we would all rather children not know about. But, given the probably reality of that child's home life, in context, and all things considered, there is much worse advice his / her mother could give.

What about the wino middle class? boozers come from all walks of life and let's be honest here alcoholism knows no bounds, it does not discriminate race, creed or religion.

When I was a lad, I think I was about 11. I saw my mate who lived up the road from us on his bike so I asked him for a lift and he agreed, his only request that I hold his bag which he instructed that I must be very careful with???? as he passed me the bag I dropped it to the ground by accident which smashed the contents, which was wine. He called me a bastard and rode off on his bike crying. I thought it was very strange but then I remember my mother saying that his mother was a wino. Now that was back in 1979, his mother was a wino and made her son go to the off license to buy booze for her, so that she could get smashed, he was 11 years old at the time but I'm sure he grew up to be a decent law abiding conformist.
Annie

Post by Annie »

rshdunlop wrote:
Annie wrote:
Do you mean me, Annie?

You were not there.
I find it a very sad indictment of life today that anyone should have found the conversation acceptable.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Some of the people around Sydenham are low evolved, are ill-educated and they are having children, shocking isn't it.
mikecg
What is shocking Mike is the lack of concern over the child.
The woman was at least mid 30s and should have known better.
I could hardly be called a snob Mike, I come from the background you often quote,however my parents never encouraged me to "pace" myself,I guess you needed to be there to appreciate the way it was said-Oh well! I give up, You can all get on with it.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I didn't say I found the conversation acceptable. I said it was sad and inappropriate. I will not let that misinterpretation of my last post stand unchallenged.

What I did say was that in and of itself, in general, it wasn't bad advice given the drinking culture we have and in which this child is growing up. Good advice to give the child when s/he is eighteen, not eight. Which is what I meant, but didn't make clear, in my first post.

Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

We live in a preloaded society where people are hammered by the time they step out of the door
Annie

Post by Annie »

jamescbrown wrote:
rshdunlop wrote:I didn't say I found the conversation acceptable. I said it was sad and inappropriate. I will not let that misinterpretation of my last post stand unchallenged.

What I did say was that in and of itself, in general, it wasn't bad advice given the drinking culture we have and in which this child is growing up. Good advice to give the child when s/he is eighteen, not eight. Which is what I meant, but didn't make clear, in my first post.

well said... :)

Interested in Humble Roofing

Rather odd, your one and only post.