Sushi of Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
NatashaM

Re: Sushi of Sydenham

Post by NatashaM »

I hope you do find a place in Sydenham... it would be wonderful to have a good Japanese restaurant nearby.

I do like Edo but it isn't brilliant. The staff are very friendly though and my 2-year-old loves it.

A straightforward place that did all the standard dishes but done properly (especially the tempura, I've been a bit disappointed by the Tempura at Edo) would be a dream come true. I love Nasu Den, sweet shrimp sashimi, prawn tempura and avocado rolls and agedashi tofu.

A set lunch bento box would be a must and, I agree, so would a takeaway option.

You could also run Sushi-making sessions for kids and adults? I know a few restaurants do that.
portobello

Post by portobello »

Yes!!!!
I would love a good Japanese resturant in the area.
And I echo the suggestion to locate it on Dartmouth road near the pools, for then you could attract custom from Forest Hill, Sydenham and maybe even Honor Oak Plus there are already a few destination pubs in the vacinity.
Good luck and hurry up and open :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Not so, infoleather. With the rebuilding of the pools, there are new shops opening already along the length of Dartmouth Road. You no longer need to be right by the station to catch footfall.

You might know that if you weren't in New York.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Fairlawner

Post by Fairlawner »

Love it, Sushi for us please! Definitely do not position the yourselves anywhere other then the main high street. We DO NOT venture onto Dartmouth road so you'd be alienating a lot of hungry customers setting up there. Good luck!
marymck

Post by marymck »

Do you think the ex Italian restaurant would be a good place for a sushi restaurant? It's big enough that you could have one of those central cooking areas, so that we can see the food being prepared. This is always exciting with Japanese food.

Sort of like this one that I went to ...

http://www.fortinasparesort.com/hibiki?l=1
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Hey Kaizensushi,

How goes the search?

Fingers crossed for a good result!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

To resurrect and old thread I thought was particularly relevant..

There are signs up for a sushi and grill place opening soon on Kirkdale. Where "that's amore", the Italian was/is - on the left as you come from Sydenham opposite the windmill.

They are also hiring.

I am over the moon about this for all sorts of reasons but mainly cos I bloomin' love sushi!!
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

sushi make me happy also :D
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Raw fish? Yuk. And isn't Japanese food legendarily expensive?
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

Not as bad as it used to be my mate lives in Tokio and he say its nowhere near as bad to eat out like it once was. I like Edo up in Palace and they deliver too
Syddders

Post by Syddders »

Hi. I'm new around here but thought I'd be useful and point people in the direction of @hibagonsushi on Twitter. They said they'd be open in 2-3 weeks as of the last week of April.
biscuitman1978

Sushi of Sydenham

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Syddders wrote:Hi. I'm new around here but thought I'd be useful and point people in the direction of @hibagonsushi on Twitter. They said they'd be open in 2-3 weeks as of the last week of April.
Welcome, Sydders!

I've added this Twitter handle to the list of Sydenham shops, restaurants, people and other things at https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 69#p111569
biscuitman1978

Sushi of Sydenham - Hibagon Sushi and Grill

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I understand that this restaurant is now open!

Has anyone been? Any reviews?

More details at http://hibagonsushiandgrill.com/ and https://twitter.com/hibagonsushi
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Thanks for posting, will hopefully try it in the week, looks a great addition to Sydenham!

Menu looks good and authentic, mixture of sushi and meats for all tastes, needs a few more Sakes maybe :) couple of things look expensive others quite reasonable compared to Soho prices.

http://hibagonsushiandgrill.com/menu

Opening hours off the website

Opening Hours
Mon Close
Tues-Thur 12pm-3pm & 6pm-10:30pm
Fri 12pm-3pm & 6pm-11pm
Sat 12pm-3pm & 6pm-11pm
Sun 12pm-3pm & 6pm-9pm

Looking forward to trying it!
Deep Sigh

Post by Deep Sigh »

I'd give it a while before trying it. Their waiting staff are - putting it charitably - having teething trouble. I went in at 8.25 to ask for a takeaway tonight, was kept standing around for 10+ minutes, then told in a faraway voice that "no, sorry, we stopped doing takeaway orders at 8.30". When I said I'd been there before 8.30, they could only say "sorrryyyy..." in equally not-quite-there tone. While standing around I saw a lot of people getting tetchy with the wait for e.g. their bills, too, and bumped into a couple as I left who'd been given the wrong order for their takeaway...

Food looked OK, mind. Not that I got to eat any.
lilydc

Post by lilydc »

Yes, it's open but only a soft launch apparently. Tonight, Tuesday 20.00, I was advised they're not doing Take Away at the mo. (Presumably as they'd hit a few probs as mentioned here.) People in there looked happy enough and menu looks good. Hope they do full launch soon.
vizzle

Post by vizzle »

Went in for lunch yesterday and it was brilliant. Good bento boxes. The service was good too, especially when we asked for fish-free sushi! They were very good about it. Delicious.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Glad to hear it vizzle!
I cycled past tonight around 8.15 and it was pretty busy :D
Planning on treating myself tomorrow and going with some japanese friends/people who have lived in Japan in a few weeks so will post a little review here then!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Went there about a week ago, I think it's a work in progress at the moment as I'm not sure what it wants to be.

The food was pretty tasty but I found the presentation a bit strange. I had a Salmon teriyaki don, I have had this in loads of places (including Tokyo), it's usually a box of rice with thin sliced cooked salmon with a hot teriyaki sauce on top. They had a plate with a bamboo mat with the salmon on top, a side of something and the rice on the side with a little pot of cold teriyaki sauce. I've never had it like that, it was like it was trying to be more upmarket than the dish was or something. Tasted fairly good but cold Teriyaki was weird.

The staff were friendly and there was good service. Maybe odd the sushi Chiefs weren't visible as in most traditional places.

I'd like to go back though and try the Sushi before I make my mind up and hopefully it gets better.
forumnewbe

Post by forumnewbe »

I tried the restaurant out last night with friends. Good food and service, reasonable prices and very enjoyable evening.