BAR EQUAL HONOR OAK - EQUIVALENT IN SYDENHAM??

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
GLOBAL THINKER

BAR EQUAL HONOR OAK - EQUIVALENT IN SYDENHAM??

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I went to a great bar/restaurant last weekend in Honor Oak called Bar Equal. Good food, great mixed crowd (twenty - thirty somethings), brilliant music. It was hard to believe I was five minutes from home.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for this type of establishment in Sydenham?, it would be nice to go out for some good music a drink or two closer to home.

Please don't send me moany replies about gentrification etc etc. Yes I want Sydenham on the map, Yes I want it be a place that people want to move into, Yes I want it have great bars / restaurants and pubs (even more than the good ones we have)

To me gentrification means that people have invested in the area and that can only be a good thing!!
Sandie

Post by Sandie »

Although not in Sydenham to best I can think of closer to home is Questions in Forest Hill, formerly The Malt Shovel. There is a development being built in Kirkdale which has pp for commercial on the ground floor and residential above. Would be a nice thought if something was to happen there.
danny1973

Post by danny1973 »

couldn't agree with you more Global .......

Sydenham is crying out for one or two bar/pub type establishments for the twenty/thirty something crowd.
I'm sure more people are moving to Sydenham as you get a lot more for your money compared with the likes of CP and East D. The likes of East D are great as you don't need to get on a bus or catch a cab if you want to go out for a meal or for a few drinks.

Fingers crossed and maybe Sydenham will start heading in that direction sooner rather than later.
kathleen

Post by kathleen »

I know this isn't Sydenham but the Darmouth Arms in Forest Hill was very nice for a drink en route back from the station last Saturday evening. I haven't tried it for food but the menu looks really good and the staff were very welcoming.

I can only reiterate what has been said by everyone else on pubs in Sydenham.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I have tried the food in Dartmouth Arms - I thought it was very good but the menu options were a bit limited when we went, and it is relatively pricey (£10+ for a main) - aiming squarely at the 'gastropub' market.

It got a terrible write up in the Evening Standard, but I wouldn't believe a word of it!
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I agree with all of the above - I am DYING for a decent place to go for a drink or a bit of Sunday lunch in the area!

Surely we're not going to have to wait 'til the tube comes (if it ever does) for someone to invest in a decent pub for Sydenham?
annabel mclaren

Bar Equal - the Railway?

Post by annabel mclaren »

Just picking up JulsB's point on the lack of decent pubs and bars - if anyone has got the odd £35K they could invest in The Railway - a brilliant location and art deco front - with the possibility of regeneration with Sydenham Gateway it could be a real moneyspinner!