Chef's Delight, Sydenham High Street

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Falkor

Chef's Delight, Sydenham High Street

Post by Falkor »

This restaurant is like the mecca for all different neighbours/friends I've met in different areas of Sydenham over the years. Whether they be from Sydenham Hill Estate, Wells Park Housing Estate, Longton Grove/Beaulieu Avenue or Lower Sydenham, a lot of residents have got to know each other through eating breakfast at this rather busy restaurant. Some chefs have even had to quit because they couldn't handle the amount of customers--that's how popular this place is! By word of mouth throughout the community, it seems Chef's Delight is one of the preferred places to eat your breakfast in Sydenham each morning, or even lunch. This place is very nostalgic for me, too. Normally, I can't stand your typical English Cafe. I don't mind a Mexican, Italian or Tapas restaurant if they serve a nice cheesecake desert, but you will really only find me inside an Indian, Chinese or Caribbean restaurant these days (I love my Ackee, Saltfish, Rice & Peas and Jerk Chicken). However, I will gladly pilgrim to Chef's Delight any day--even if it's just for my lime milkshake and a Quarter-pounder w/ cheese or mixed grill! :D

How many people here visit Chef's Delight on a regular basis? :?:
Last edited by Falkor on 13 Nov 2006 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
kster

Post by kster »

For a breakfast or fry up, the new one on Newlands Park gets my vote. It isn't smokey and the food is good. It doesn't seem to be that busy, but maybe that is because it is off the high street and hasn't been open that long. For something a little more heathly at lunch, it'd have to be Zucker.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I have been there once and had chicken curry with rice and chips. It was pretty good. I have to put in a word here for the fish and chip shop further down. The exterior suggested it might be a dire fried chicken shop, but in fact their cod and chips is superb. And proper chips not fries, which is vital.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

For a breakfast or fry up, the new one on Newlands Park gets my vote.

Will check it out...
It isn't smokey and the food is good.
I know what you mean... this can be a big problem for me...
have been there once and had chicken curry with rice and chips.
I didn't even know they served curry!? :) There's a curry house next door though... what's the hottest one you can eat? :twisted: My dad and I were reunited a couple of weeks ago after 9 years. We're going to have a challenge to see who can eat the hottest curry no doubt, so I suppose it will be a Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi, Lamb Vindaloo and Chicken Phaal + 4 Pillau rices. :P He always used to beat me at snooker, but I'll show him who the new champ is! 8) I think the curry house next door to Chef's Delight even does a Saffron rice--very rare! :shock:
but in fact their cod and chips is superb.
Don't you prefer Rock? Apparently, there will soon be no Cod left in the oceans they reckon, so you might end up getting stuck with Rock, Haddock or somesuch. :lol:
And proper chips not fries, which is vital.
True!
leaf

Post by leaf »

ooh yeah the cheffy!!

it is indeed a mecca for all true sydenhamites

child friendly[v.important for me]

reasonably priced

great pancakes

friendly and they will usually adapt a dish to suit.

*the curry would probably have been the special of the day.

i will also put in a good word for jasmines cafe on kirkdale,its opposite the chemist and avalon the fireplace place,they too are friendly and ilhan the owner/chef is a great cook,try his specials-his grilled chicken breast with chips or rice and mixed salad is yummy,also he serves as a special a homemade steak and kidney pie which by all accounts is delicious.

all of the usual fry up stuff too with bubble and squeak which is a must for the die hard fry up fan.

im hungry now!!
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

Juwlz wrote:I have been there once and had chicken curry with rice and chips. It was pretty good. I have to put in a word here for the fish and chip shop further down. The exterior suggested it might be a dire fried chicken shop, but in fact their cod and chips is superb. And proper chips not fries, which is vital.
DO you mean the Kentmens or the one near the cake shop? I think the Kentmens is pretty good.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

raymondus

No - but I agree the Kentmen's is very good too. Thats where I normally go, but they seem to be closed on a monday so that's when I tried out the one on the hgh street. I don't know what its called but its a couple of doors up from the pink cake shop on the corner and its next door to the party shop.

Falkor - Oh yeah, I know, I am very naughty eating all the cod. I am trying to eat as much as I can before it becomes extinct!
I used to be big into saving the environment when I was about 14. I didn't even learn to drive til I was 28 because I was worried about the impact on the environment. People use to laugh at me for worrying about such issues back in the 80s. I've done my bit. Now its everyone elses turn, its probably too late now anyway!
simon

Post by simon »

For a traditional fry up I dont think you can beat the Hill Top for consisntent quality. Propper bubble, good quality bacon and eggs just right.
The Kent House Cafe is good too, but is usually full of workmen and can get a bit rowdy.
Before it became Finkls, someone opened a cafe who really did not have a clue. Thought I would give it a try and their bubble was the worst Ive ever had; basically it was soggy Smash with peas in it, digusting!
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

The chip shop by Slatters seemed good when it first opened but we had a run of dodgy pieces of cod from there. Not sure what it was, but the skins didn't seem cleaned enough and they tasted a bit burnt. Not been back in months, however, so perhaps I should give them another go.

We were very enthusiastic when they opened. They do mushy peas, unlike Kentmans. We used to trek up to the chippy in Perry Vale. The woman owner had worked in the Perry Vale shop and she explained how they'd taken over the turkish restaurant but their background was in chippies and they'd soon decided to go with what they know.

The family are really nice and we want them to do well, but I've been too timid to complain and just stopped going