Need to get a fire certificate: help!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
tonyade

Need to get a fire certificate: help!

Post by tonyade »

Hello.

Long shot here, but does anyone know how I can get a fire certificate for a front door? I live in an ex-local authority block and the council now want me to prove that my (UPVC) door is fire-proof (can withstand fire for 10-20 minutes). We didn't get the door installed and can't find any previous record of its installation, or its installers.

The council warn that unless we can provide a certificate, we have to buy one of their "reasonably priced" doors, starting at £900...

Anyone know what we can do? Obviously if it's not fire-proof, we'll get a new one (but I'm loathe to give Lewisham council any more money).

Thanks in advance.
marymck

Re: Need to get a fire certificate: help!

Post by marymck »

What?! Sounds like a scam to me. Building regulations change all the time and they cannot usually be applied retrospectively. I am not sure if this non-retrospective aspect applies to fire safety.

Is there a bsi kite mark or CE certification mark on the door? If so you could check out with those issuing authorities if it meets fire regs.

Or ring up the fire service and ask if they can send someone to check it out. They will carry out a Home Fire Risk Assessment free of charge.

I have a copy of Part B of the Building Regs (2002). But not sure if this has been superceded. I can PM you a pdf of this if it's useful.

You may also find this link helpful, if yours is a purpose built block ...

http://www.local.gov.uk/c/document_libr ... upId=10171
marymck

Post by marymck »

Also - if you do have to replace your door - I'd shop around and do a price comparison, rather than pay Lewisham.

Beats me that Lewisham Council are doing this, when I've nagged and begged to get them to prosecute dodgy electricians who've broken Part P. I suppose telling people to change their doors is easy and selling doors is a nice little earner for them.

Wake up Lewisham. Don't just fight fires; fight the causes of fires. And if an electrician is causing a fire risk PROSECUTE THE ELECTRICIAN!!
tonyade

Post by tonyade »

That's a great help, thanks.

Lewisham council are, in my experience pretty useless.