Raising kids in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
soulfood

Raising kids in Sydenham

Post by soulfood »

Mrs Soulfood is expecting. Delighful news, and has got us thinking about where we live in a completely new light.

Anyone got any tips about what's good in the area for new parents? Eg classes, groups, cafes to hang out in etc. It's a whole new world!
couldbeanyone

Post by couldbeanyone »

We found that Lewisham Hospital did really good informative and helpful pre-natal classes, but you'd only get to attend those in the last few months before birth.

Following birth, dw and dd would attend post-natal classes at the Jenner Health Centre.

Now at 14 months, dd goes to Sydenham Green?Bell Green? healthcentre monday am for something, sydenham library on tuesday am for something, there is something too at st philpsnerys church on tuesday am and spends wednesday am at the one'o'clock crystal park road.

The recent Halloween treat or treat & fancy dressevent organised by Sydenham shopkeepers? for kids was most excellent.

However for our dd's sake we do not intend to live in Sydenham much longer.
leaf

Post by leaf »

hey,its not that bad!!

congratulations soulfood and mrs soulfood!

you could look on the site netmums

http://www.netmums.com/

it gives details of all sorts of things for families in your area.
whittellgardens

Post by whittellgardens »

yeah- congrats to mrs S
Do you want to buy my house in whittellgardens to be closer to St barts (very good primary school), only a short walk to Crystal Palace Park.

What ever you do- DO NOT have your baby at Lewisham. The midwives there are the pits- Our daughter was born there and they did not notice she had posteriered. They tried to fontuse her out- then that snapped- then the doc came in to read the notes and the midwives hadn't made any for the past 5 hours- then when she popped out of mum, the midwife put her in a cot- then 5 mins later she picked her up by one arm (like a Monkey in a tree) carried her accross the room then put her in another cot.

Absolutely Fkin awful

Go to kings instead
leaf

Post by leaf »

i could tell you some equally horrific stories about kings too!

i had all 3 of my children at lewisham hospital and i havent got any complaints really,the bathroom/toilets cleanliness left a bit to be desired,but then that is down to the filthy users who left it in that state,although there should have been more cleaning going on.

good and bad things happen in hospitals everyday,if you have a bad experience in a hospital ie a medical emergency,it is easy to say 'its a bad hospital' i do accept negligence happens though.

to say that all of the midwives at lewisham are the pits isnt really fair based on one experience of some of them.
whittellgardens

Post by whittellgardens »

i get your point- but to have all the midwives that were on duty that night to be in the same category- well what does that show you-
it shows us that the quality of our nursing staff are seriously dilapidating in recent times, hiring unskilled labour from overseas via agencies. Nurses with little or no interpersonal skills.
Just to save some cash- this does not happen too much outside of London
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Our experience at Lewisham was OK. Our son was our second baby so we were much more confident about the whole thing and left it later to go in.
All the prenatal appointments had been fine. Clean rooms and latest scanners etc
Most of the midwives were great on the day too, but there was one agency midwife who spent all evening on her mobile phone (so much for interfering with equipment!) But other staff had already reported her.
The worst thing my partner found was that she couldn't get any sleep afterwards when she went on to the general ward for the night because everyone had bedside pay TVs blaring out. They didn't have sockets for headphones. Earplugs might be an idea!
soulfood

Post by soulfood »

All interesting stuff. We've opted for Kings. So far so good. They seem pretty decent. But we shall see...
robotfish

Post by robotfish »

We had both of ours at Kings and have very little complaint. In fact I'll be more positive than that and say that the staff during both (one complicated, one relatively routine) were, on the whole, exceptional.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Why are you concerned about raising your kids in Sydenham?