Transport Links

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
roisinhynes5

Transport Links

Post by roisinhynes5 »

Hi there, moving to Sydenham at the end of the month! Just wanted to check what best way (via public transport) to get to Heathrow is. Few options so I thought best to ask those in the know! Is driving there a there a total no no traffic wise?
Thanks
R
Rachael

Re: Transport Links

Post by Rachael »

We drive. 45 minutes with no traffic. Usually about an hour, worst case 90 minutes. Some people go via Herne Hill, Brixton and Vauxhall Bridge. We go Streatham, Battersea, Chelsea Bridge (avoiding tailbacks on Battersea Bridge). Then it's A4, M4 and you're there.
michael

Post by michael »

By public transport it is a bit of a hassle but should take about 75 minutes.

1. Train from Sydenham to Canada Water
2. Jubilee to Baker Street
3. Bakerloo to Paddington
4. Heathrow Express

It's not much fun, but the connections are reasonably straight forward (platforms are close together).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Michael
Is not the Heathrow Express very expensive and did not think travel cards etc could be used.

Could be totally wrong , would not be the first time.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

'Expensive' is a relative term and the OP didn't ask for the cheapest route, Eagle.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Good comment
michael

Post by michael »

It also depends how many people are travelling and for how long.
rshdunlop's suggestion of driving there is likely to incur a parking charge of £10 per day. That may make perfect sense for a family going on a short holiday, but not for a single person travelling for more than 5 days.
Taxi is another a cost efficient way if a family to travel to the airport is staying away for a couple of weeks.

There are three cheaper methods of getting to Heathrow; the Piccadilly line takes 100-140 minutes, cycling is likely to take around 130 minutes but may be difficult if carrying heavy luggage, walking may take 400-500 minutes.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

And you have to factor in the cost of shoe leather.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First welcome to STF!

Second - I do that route quite often in relaxed mode. Simples - take the first train out of Sydenham Station and change onto the Jube at Canada Water (LO) or London Bridge (Southern). Change at Green Park and Piccadilly the rest of the way. Zone 6 fare. I'm sure I've done it in less than the time quoted.

There are ways of making that time productive unlike driving which is total waste and just builds frustration. Well with me, anyway. YMMV.

Admin
squashst

Post by squashst »

From Paddington Heathrow Connect (https://www.heathrowconnect.com) is a slower but cheaper train alternative to Heathrow Express. Takes 25 mins as stops at 5 local stations en-route to Heathrow, but its 50% of the cost of the Express.
Personally I go from Gatwick whenever possible - far easier by train!
roisinhynes5

Post by roisinhynes5 »

Just saw all of the relies, thanks! Ended up getting a taxi to aiport as flight was v early but think I'll try trains home! Taxi both ways was cheaper than parking for week although had I booked carpark earlier this probably wouldn't have been the case. Pretty much come to conclusion that Gatwick is best if Its an option! Thanks all again! R

newbrit

Post by newbrit »

Roisinhynes5, at the end we have found out a local minicab is the best option. Takes you there from home, and brings you home back from the airport. At the end of the day you pay a bit more for the comfort, but it is worth it if you just want to get there or get home without hassle.