Things to do in and around Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
elsie_em

Things to do in and around Sydenham

Post by elsie_em »

Hello,

We've got some friends coming to stay this weekend, and I want to take them out somewhere during the day. They're ex-Londoners so none of the traditional big city attractions will appeal to them, but I'd quite like to show them something close to home. I have thought of the dinosaurs at Crystal Palace Park if the weather isn't awful, or the Horniman Museum if it is - but has anyone got any other tips for local attractions that adults might enjoy?
Stefan

Re: Things to do in and around Sydenham

Post by Stefan »

Hi, Forest Hill Food Fair is on Sunday morning till 2pm, maybe check out Canvas & Cream afterwards before heading up to the Horniman as you have already mentioned
elsie_em

Post by elsie_em »

Oh, the food fair sounds great, thanks!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If you are walking past the old Naborhood centre with a lady of child , essential they where ear plugs.
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

Eagle wrote:If you are walking past the old Naborhood centre with a lady of child , essential they where ear plugs.
Sorry but don't understand your exact meaning, but assume you meant the the centre is noisy for some reason, but only women and children would hear it to be affected by it? Assume men won't be able to hear it then :)
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

I can recommend the Alexndra Nurseries if you haven't been, really nice spot for tea and homemade cake.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hilsbee
I agree we all need to be protected from abusive swearing and threatening behavior but ladies and children less so that gentlemen.
elsie_em

Post by elsie_em »

I hadn't heard of Alexandra Nurseries - will check it out, thanks.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

elsie_em wrote:I hadn't heard of Alexandra Nurseries - will check it out, thanks.

Yes. It's a lovely place.

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Alexandra Nurseries just put out an email, with the following listing for the next couple of months
Saturday 6th October: Blackbird Bakery bread on sale at Alexandra Nurseries – a very unofficial and pretty random poll suggests that this might be a great idea so we’re giving it a go starting this Saturday.

Tuesday 9th October: Hot soup and crusty bread goes on sale in the cafe.

Tuesday 16th October: Knitted Flower Workshop with Linda Litchfield. 10.00am-12.30. Knit a flower and make it into Suitable for all levels of knitting skills from basic to seasoned knitters. Limited places available. Please call us or come in if you would like to book. £25.00 including materials, tea or coffee and cake. [£10 non-refundable deposit payable to confirm a place].

21st October – Exhibition of art works based on’ Brenda’s Bottom and her birds [in London]’ by Brockley based author and artist Clare Stanhope. [For more info see our event on Fri 2nd November].

Tuesday 23rd October: Knitted Flower Workshop. 6.30pm-8.30pm. See above for details.

Saturday 27th October: Autumn Tree Walk. A chance to join an enjoyable and informative walk around the parks of Penge and admire the trees in all their autumn glory. Starts and finishes at Alexandra Nurseries. Please look out for further info on posters, twitter and facebook.

Tues 30th October – Fri 2nd November: HALF TERM ACTIVITIES FOR CHILDREN

Tuesday 30th October: TBA

Wed 31st October: The Witch and Wizard Workshop with Tea Dance for Little People – make your own bat potato head, carve a pumpkin, customise your own witch’s broom or wizard’s wand and make a lantern to keep an eye out for those spooky ones in the dark! £4 a visit [free for siblings under 2]. Buy your pumpkins and witch’s brooms on site to customise and take home. 10am-4pm [come when you like, stay as long as you like].

Thurs 1st November: Back to Nature: the antidote to Halloween. For all those who aren’t fans of scariness. Take home your own masterpiece - draw, paint and print on canvas on a flower based theme [7-11 years] with local artist Sue Cox. £8 per child/£14 for 2 siblings. All materials included. Places are limited so advance booking is advisable. For younger children there will be spring bulb planting and face painting [strictly no scary ones allowed!!].

Fri 2nd November: ‘Brenda’s Bottom and Her Birds [in London]’ by local author and artist Clare Stanhope. Discover how Brenda meets 52 types of birds and finds happiness with a very unusual posterior!. Children can listen to Clare reading her book and then stay on with her if they would like to make their own collages based on the story. Copies of ‘Brenda’s Bottom’ will be on sale and Clare will available for signing. Please book workshop places in advance if possible. £5 per child.

More info at: Facebook.com/BrendasBottom, Twitter.com/BrendasBottom, http://www.tlonchildrenbookspublishing.co.uk

Details of these events will be on our Facebook page, alexandranurseries@facebook.com

Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd December: Alexandra Nurseries First Christmas Fair. 10.00am – 6.00 pm. The Nurseries will be packed with stalls featuring a wide range of high quality gifts and foodie delights from local artists, designers and makers. Mulled wine and mince pies will be on sale in the cafe. More information available closer to the time.

Bulb lasagne: planting bulbs in layers in pots will extend the flowering period and colour combinations in your spring containers. Look out for free demonstrations throughout October.

Other up and coming events include workshops by The Skip Sisters, South London’s fabulous Queens of Upcycling. http://www.skipsisters.co.uk.

For enquiries or bookings for any of our events, please call us on 020 8778 4145 or go to our facebook page, alexandranurseries@facebook.com

Follow us on Twitter @alexnurseries [Never thought we’d see the day!]
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

I took my visitors to Dulwich Village- nice walk round the park - twee little shops /cafes/picture gallery. Not too far.
Maria

Post by Maria »

..........possibly too late, but while you are at it be sure to take them to "England's oldest purpose built art gallery", the wonderful Dulwich Picture Gallery opened in 1817!

Really not to be missed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulwich_Picture_Gallery
Maria

Post by Maria »

.......and if you are driving anyway, just carry on a bit further and visit a true historic monument: Down House, the home of Charles Darwin at the time he wrote The Origin of Species.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/days ... down-house: And there’s an exciting interactive multimedia tour, narrated by David Attenborough, to tell you more about how Darwin developed his ideas.

Fabulous gardens too, and rooms as exact replicas of how/where he lived + extraordinary details of his personal, private life. Wonderful
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Thanks Tim, for the info about Alexandra Nurseries. Looks very interesting and I might trundle down there myself! :D
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

Don't forget our hidden gem in the city!
Sydenham Hill and Dulwich Woods
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydenham_Hill_Wood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulwich_Wood

I had the pleasure of attending an organised walk earlier this year and learnt much more than I knew. It was great and I hope it could become a regular thing.
I want to go there on a Bat Walk asap

You can close your eyes in those woods and believe you are in the countryside.
Beautiful place at any time of the year (safety precautions precluding, of course)

Fantastic escape! :)

Sue

PS Search Sydenham Woods on here and you can read more.
alex11211

Post by alex11211 »

Is there a halloween trick or treating event on Sydenham high street? Every year it gets harder and harder to get information about this where am I going wrong?
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Oh joy! I look forward to the eggs chucked at my house like last year!
They didnt even knock and ask trick or treat.

Loops

Post by Loops »

Hi I've heard Sydenham has an organised trick or treat walk for Halloween
I missed it last year but would love to go this year does anybody know when where and what time please
Thank u
Louisa

Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Loops wrote:Hi I've heard Sydenham has an organised trick or treat walk for Halloween
I missed it last year but would love to go this year does anybody know when where and what time please
Thank u
Louisa

The high street event is from 4-5:30pm and costume judging is at 5pm outside the Sydenham Centre next to the post office. There will be trail maps of participating shops along the high street