Hello from the other side of the globe

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Jwana

Hello from the other side of the globe

Post by Jwana »

Hi there - I am planning to re-locate to London in 2007 with my children & husband and have been looking around at places to live and I am really taken with the Lewisham borough.

I have to confess that I have also posted on the Forest Hill forum (hopefully you are all friends!) but after more research I think Sydenham is the area I'd prefer to live in.

I just have a few questions though if anyone can help. We live in a fairly multi-cultural area in Oz and I am in a 'mixed' marriage...so is Sydenham fairly ethnically diverse as this is what we're looking for?

I have 2 teenage daughters but only one of them will be attending high school as the other one will have finished school by then. I know high schools in London are very over subscribed but can anyone give me any info on some Ok secondary govt. schools in the area? I've also been told that once we move into the borough we will be on a wait list for a school place for my daughter but does anyone know how long this may take - i.e. would it be a matter of weeks or perhaps months?

Anyway, any information is gratefully received! :D

Cheers
Jwana
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Hi Jwana,

Welcome to Lewisham (maybe). I too am in a mixed marriage and am looking at areas in Oz to relocate to. Whereabouts are you? by the way Lewisham is one of the most ethnically diverse areas in London, so you will have no problems in that regard.

GT
leaf

Post by leaf »

hello Jwana

I told you sydenham was the place to be!

re schools,i doubt it would be months that you'd have to wait,but you might not get the school you wanted,but whichever has a place come up.

Sydenham is a very diverse area and mixed couples/marriages are quite common.

good luck with the move :D
Jwana

Post by Jwana »

Hi guys - thanks for the welcome & info - much appreciated!

Yes Leaf - you were right!!

Global Thinker - I actually live in Adelaide but I would definitely not recommend that you re-loacte here!! Our particular suburb has a large ethnic mix but sadly also a high crime rate. However, Adelaide in general is quite a 'white' city and very conservative...so if you're really contemplating a move to Oz I think you should look at a city like Melbourne which is far more cosmopolitan and sophisticated - Sydney is Ok but there are too many racial tensions there at the moment + it's sooooo expensive to rent.

I am happy to answer any questions about Oz if you need help - I may not be the best Aussie to ask though as I'm trying to get outa this place!! :D

Cheers
Jwana[/b]