Parking near Sydenham Hill station

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Suella

Parking near Sydenham Hill station

Post by Suella »

Can you please advise me on where I can park c 8.30 in the mornings. Are College Road and the station car park options?
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Come and park outside my house!
It's great having commuter's cars filling up my already over-congested road all day making unnecessary and polluting journeys so they can save a few quid on a rail ticket

:roll:
leaf

Post by leaf »

To be fair,she did ask about the station car park,but i get your point.
DaveT

free car park in Sydenham

Post by DaveT »

Hiya,

there's a free car-park just off Girton Road. Drive down the high street from Sydenham station, turn right at immediately after Somerfields and take the first left - there's a free car park with 100 or more spaces there.

DT

ps - please don't park on Girton road - packed enough as it is and the car park really is free...
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

It would be better that this car park, which is subsidised by a local retailer, was used by local residents for the purpose of visiting the high street and is not packed with commuter cars all day.

If it is used by commuters then local roads such as Girton Road will be used by local residents for shopping reasons - or alternatively the high street will be avoided altogether.
DaveT

Girton road car park

Post by DaveT »

<edit - woah - wildly off topic, original was for Sydenham Hill, not Sydenham, sorry Suella. D'oh. must learn to read whole sentences one day>

Hi Pat,

a fair point... but, imo

Visitors to the area often do NOT use the Girton Road car park, rather they park in Girton Road (and other side streets). [ I live in Girton Rd ]

I have suggested previously that there should be more signage on the high street directing cars to the car park, but the simple "P" signs do not help. The immediate assumption appears to be that it's a pay&display car park.

I'm sure a counter argument regarding street "clutter" would be justified, but I can think of no other way to advertise it.

"Free parking but not for commuters".... I see the way that Waitrose in Beckenham handles this issue, but it is unlikey that funding be justified to have similar staffing at Girton Road - even if it was 7am-9:30am or somesuch.

hmm, not a simple issue nor a simple solution I fear.

any other thoughts out there?
Suella

Post by Suella »

Thank you for some of your replies - I only wish to know about space availability near Sydenham Hill station - not to save money or because I don't want to walk - but for safety reasons. Sarcasm doesn't help!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Suella

I think its a pity that you have decided its too dangerous to walk. Personally I think you are mistaken and feel that if everyone decided to drive it actually would be too dangerous to walk because there would be no-one else about. As I mentioned before I do exactly the same journey as you are asking about and I have never had to walk up from the station alone as there are always other people coming off the train and going the same way, no matter how late at night. I hope you might reconsider and at least try out the walk.

If I had one complaint it would be that the top of Low Cross Wood lane the path could be better lit - there is one lamppost where the light hasn't been working for at least a year as far as I know. I have been meaning to find out who to contact about fixing this. Anyone know?
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Ok I 've seen your other post so , the sarcasm was uncalled for!

What about walking to Penge East?
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

I thought the sarcasm was funny.