Tawny Owl

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
CATLADY

Tawny Owl

Post by CATLADY »

Hi has anyone else heard an owl calling in Sydenham this week and last? The location is rear of Silverdale and Windfield Close/ Queensthorpe Road area around midnight . We have heard it over several nights and my husband even thought he saw one in the trees a week ago before we heard it. I am an RSPB member so if others have heard it too do let me know so I can report it. I think it's call sounds like a tawny owl but not sure.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Re: Tawny Owl

Post by Rachael »

I haven't heard the owl recently, but I've definitely heard it in the past. I am on Mayow Road near the junction with Dacres Road, so not far from you. I'll keep an ear out for it.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I think I heard an Owl this morning at about 6 ish. I thought blimey that sounds like an owl - round here? Good to know. Will keep an ear out more now.

Forgot to say, I am situated between the Sydenham Road end of Silverdale and Bishopsthorpe Road - in case that helps geographically-wise.
Last edited by Cathy on 3 Jan 2013 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

According to the Lewisham borough website, tawny owls nest in the Devonshire Road and Garthorne Road reserves (Forest Hill-New Cross Gate railway cutting) and in Beckenham Place Park. I also find that one was heard near Hilly Fields (Ladywell) last month.
CATLADY

Post by CATLADY »

Many thanks for the useful replies. Will be logging it and hope there will be some chicks in the Spring!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image