Two Brewers in Perry Hill being transformed.

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Juwlz

Two Brewers in Perry Hill being transformed.

Post by Juwlz »

Just found out from the horses mouth that the Two Brewers pub in Perry Hill is being taken over by the same people that run (& own?) two popular bars 'The Bear' and '1920's', both in Clerkenwell/Farringdon. Apparently its going to be closed for 6 weeks while they do it up, and they might change the name to 'The Chef and Two Brewers' because they are going to concentrate a lot more on food, (though not to the detriment of the beer!) They are keen to avoid the term 'gastropub' apparently though if the food in 'The Bear' is anything to go by, it should be pretty good.

I have never been to the Two Brewers myself but have read a lot about the history of it (it used to be a gorgeous old timber building til they knocked it down in the '20s, if I remember the book correctly?).

Perry Hill seems a slightly 'neither here or there' place but I could well be wrong. What does anybody think about all this? Is this likely to be somewhere that lower-sydenhamites might make the trek to if it turned out to be nice? The owner is a little nervous of the location I think, but opviously must have researched it enough to take the plunge.

Despite knowing little about the Perry Hill area I tried to reassure him and mentioned 'The Dolphin' as encouragement!
Last edited by Juwlz on 26 Jan 2007 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Sounds like great news - the building is very attractive in a 30s roadhouse kind of way... (it's possibly the same era as the Dolphin, which has been described as '30s Tudor'); it's redbrick with a tiled roof, pretty wooden windows, two big bays at the front - its set back from the road and has a generous forecourt which could be used for outdoor seating. The top of Perry Hill is quite attractive, and there are masses of residential side roads so I would think that there would be no shortage of customers. Also, sadly, the Rutland virtually opposite has recently closed - much mourned apparently by the locals as it had excellent beer and was also a venue for music, particularly jazz.
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

I think from memory the same people used to own and run The North Pole in Greenwich as well which, if im correct means it will be a local entrepreneur who is very well aware of the potenial clientele The Two Brewers Could attract. Also on similar note, has anyone seen the redeveloped "St Germains" pub in forest hill ? I believe the opening night is this saturday 03/02/07 and it has been transformed into a really good looking bar I dont know if they will serve food but im sure someone on here may have a bit more information.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

"The Honor Oak", as it's now called, does open in a few days. Their [website] gives the details.

My only reservation is the change of name. Why on earth abandon a time honoured name with strong local associations. The pub was called The St Germains Tavern from 1865, at a time when "Honor Oak" referred to nothing more than a single tree on One Tree Hill. When the pub first opened Honor Oak Road was largely undeveloped, and called St Germans Road.

Similarly, Juwlz mentions that the new owners might change the name of the Two Brewers to "The Chef and Two Brewers" which is not quite as objectionable, but equally unnecessary. The pub on that site has been called simply The Two Brewers for over 230 years (since at least 1775). Who would be so arrogant as to tinker with it now?
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

And why associate yourself with the massive Chef & Brewer pub chain?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I agree Steve and castiron, I can't stand it when they change the name of pubs. I think I might mention this to the new owner of the Two Brewers.
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

I agree totally with the sentiments regarding name changing. The only reason I can assume for the "Honor Oak" is that Honor Oak as an area seems to be, although I hate to use this terminology, up and coming/trendy and therefore the new owners may feel a pub by the same name might attract that trendy/up & coming clientele. Just a thought, based on no foundation whatsoever but I'm not looking to start another class war on area and drinking establishments guys as I think That subject is played out now.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I told the new owner that no-one wants the name of The Two Brewers to change. He looked alarmed! He is definately sympathetic but wanted to somehow alert people to the fact that it will now sell fabulous food. So we'll just have to wait and see what he decides.

He said that while they have been renovating it they have found some tiles on it that seem much, much older than the current building. Maybe its even possible they came from the lovely building it replaced? hopefully if I get the chance I will ask some more about it.

I suppose this should be in the Town museum section?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Interesting about the tiles, Juwlz. If you get a chance can you ask about the post on the other side of the road:
I don't know whether it still belongs to the pub, but for over 100 years it supported their inn sign. It would be good if they could restore it and use it again.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Wow, how interesting that its on the other side of the road! I will certainly ask about it if I get the chance.
AliT

Sunday Lunch

Post by AliT »

We went to the revamped pub (formerly The 2 Brewers) The Honour Oak for Sunday lunch and it was very very good. Simple Sunday roast and very well done - large portions, succulent meat, tasty gravey and good veg for 9.95 and puddings to die for. The service was prompt, charming and the atmosphere lively and busy. We got there at about 1pm and only just got a table. So it's definitely got the market, and rightly so. Well done!
leaf

Post by leaf »

The Honor Oak was formerly called the st Germaine,on brockley rise,is that where you went?
AliT

Post by AliT »

Leaf, I've no idea.. I thought it was the 2 brewers... in any case I only heard about it on this thread and then looked at their website. I've only been in Sydenham for about 4 years, so dunno the history. Nice pub though!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Isn't it brilliant that we're plugging business' in Catford on the STF?...ah well, we've still got the Railway Tavern and the Fox & Hounds for our delectation.

Maybe if we all go to the Two Brewers then even The Dolphin might shut down through lack of trade! Yippee. God knows I spend enough of my social time outside of the area (The Dolphin aside) and appreciate people have choice but this is extracting the proverbial.

Brilliant idea.

Ahem, quick edit - are we referring to a place on Perry Hill as Julwz initially wrote which I thought was in Catford SE6? All of a sudden it's in Forest Hill? Either way I stand by my point.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Greg- we're talking about 2 different pubs. The one I started this thread about was the Two Brewers which, as you mention, is really in Catford rather than Sydenham but I'm curious as to whether it might be of interest to some people in lower Sydenham, which is kind of what I asked in my first post...
I only brought it up in the first place because by chance I met someone who owns 2 pubs local to where I work who has bought the pub (2 Brewers) and is doing it up and I happen to know some of its history through reading a lot of local history books.
Other people seem to have brought up the subject of 'St Germains' pub in Forest Hill (but if you've read your history books you'll know that Forest Hill is really just a part of Sydenham anyway!).
Since I live up near Sydenham Hill it is highly unlikely I will be visiting The Two Brewers at all unless I make a special effort to go there once it is reopened, but just because I won't be going there I daresay that doesn't mean its not interesting to others in Sydenham. But since there haven't been all that many replies to this thread, maybe not…
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Although looking quite smart, and calling itself a "gastropub", I was dismayed to see that The Two Brewers is now masquerading under a new name, The Perry Hill. The inn sign opposite has also disappeared.
Liam Curran

Former Two Brewers

Post by Liam Curran »

I live in one of the side roads opposite. I visited last Friday and can vouch that it looks and feels good - they've done a lot of work on the appearance. The majority of the floorspace - the old saloon bar is taken up with the restaurant and friends who are there on the same evening said they really enjoyed their meal. Nice big garden with large umbrellas and attractions for kids.
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

I know its not strictly Sydenham but what with the iminent closure of the Greyhound, which is no great loss in terms of a night out, its nice to have another pub along similar lines to the Dolphin. I ate here on the opening night of the restaurant and the food was really nice (seared scallops). I also spent the whole afternoon and early evening here on saturday ( well it rained and we didnt want to get wet when we left so we just didnt leave) and we all had a really good time, once again food was great (lamb chops) staff friendly etc no complaints whatsoever. The new owners used to run the North Pole in Greenwich and also run several other bars in london so they appear to know what they are doing.