Burglarised yesterday De Frene Road

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
JRobinson

Burglarised yesterday De Frene Road

Post by JRobinson »

I got back last night to my house to find that we'd be burgled.

police came round, back door now secured.

two people already in custody before I got home, picked up acting suspicious, possible handling/reciept of stolen goods - turned out when I reported crime that the jewellery was ours.
wife spent an hour or two in police station last night identifying things.

hopefully they will be charged (but at the moment it's all circumstantial - forensics might change that)

they got in by smashing back door - not overlooked as backs onto allotments.
they ransacked the upstairs rooms, and only took small items of jewellery, and some cash.
amazing how much mess they made though.

please contact the police if you saw anything suspicious in the area yesterday between 8am and 7pm.

please also consider the safety of your houses - close windows when out, lock back doors, secure outside tools, etc, etc.

hopefully these two won't be doing it again anytime soon.

stay safe, be warned.

JR
michael

Re: Burglarised yesterday De Frene Road

Post by michael »

Sorry to hear about that JR. It would be impressive/unusual/fortunate if you get all your belongings back.
I hope whoever broke in gets charged for it and not just for the easier caution for 'handling stolen goods'. I'm sure the local police will want to ensure that those guilty don't get the opportunity to do the same to others in the area.
It would be really interesting to keep us updated on whether anybody gets charged for anything in this case as it really ought to lead to a few convictions (but not just on circumstantial evidence).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

My sympathy as well.
Surely if found with the goods so soon after the event it can be assumed they were the guilty party.
I do hope you get all your items back and these people of course get prosecuted and get a prison term.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Always sorry to hear about burglaries; quite apart from the material loss, the psychological trauma must be awful. Commiserations.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

indeed - we didn't get much sleep last night.

I've heard that they will be kept in overnight again, and be up in court tomorrow, and have been charged, for burglary, apparently they are repeat offenders, and third time caught leads to a term in jail, which I'm lead to believe this is.
mikej

Post by mikej »

I am really sorry to hear this, JR, hope you and wifey are not too upset by this awful event.
Thanks for your advice!
Earlybird

Post by Earlybird »

Hi JR I live in De Frene Rd and I am petrified about this. At the back of my house there is the school and private road which can be accessed by anyone really and that's very scary. I am left concerned about this news.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Don't be worried, Earybird. For one thing, the burglars were caught. And for another, knowledge of crime usually only increases our fear of it, not the chance that we might be victims. Take sensible precautions (as we all should) then put it out of your mind.

Earlybird

Post by Earlybird »

Thank you Rachael

BRIDO

Post by BRIDO »

Any burglary disturbs me. I live around the corner.

Why is there no neighbourhood watch in The Sydenham area? This has to be sorted and I'll help organise it if need be? People are lazy, not interested and scared but if we work together we can defeat this and live happily.

I have had many a sleepless night worrying about if my flat were to get tanned.

The current weather is rubbish so at least that'll be putting burglars off, no?

Don't be scared of any unsavoury dodgy person/youth looking suspicious. Stand up for yourself and each other and if we work together we can contribute a lot to making Sydenham a safer place.

Fit security lights, cameras. Get multiple locks on your doors/windows. I can help with this. Buy a dog! Anything to stop this kind of thing happening!

But most importantly be prepared. Anyone trying to break into my flat is going home in an ambulance!

FIGHT THE POWER IT'S TIME FOR ACTION!!!!

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Brido. May the force be with you. Tony Martin lives.

I like the word Burgalarised.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Eagle wrote: I like the word Burgalarised.
'Burglarise' (or, as they spell it, 'burglarize') is the American English word for the British English 'burgle.'
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:Well said Brido. May the force be with you. Tony Martin lives.
HAHA! Have to agree, I like Brido's style.
Eagle wrote:I like the word Burgalarised.
Unless you come home to find out it's happened to you.

Must admit this is a serious concern of mine, I've got insurance but you cant replace sentimental valuables like mums old jewellery etc.

RE: Badass yooof,

I'd always call the police as there isn't any point in becoming a dead have a go hero.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

these two people were not local, but known (apparently) - picked up on Shaws cottages.

@earlybird - our pirvate drive entrance is one of the ones on our side without gates, and it has access to the De Frene Road Allotment site. I'm thinking of writing to those on our side, and Sydenham Garden, to ask if there is any interest in having gates installed.