Fairlawn Park Road

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
laura82

Fairlawn Park Road

Post by laura82 »

Am thinking of buying in fairlawn park road....whats the road like? any comments/advice?
simon

Post by simon »

Dont live there, but walk my dogs around there regularly and it seems quiet during the day. A good mix of housing with predominantly Victorian terraces. You get easy access to Home Park, not the best Sydenham park in my opinion, and the library.
wickesy

Post by wickesy »

I have lived in Fairlawn Park all my life and at the moment wouldn't consider living anywhere else.

The only problem we sometimes have is in the summer with boy racers doing laps on their mini-motorbikes.

If you need public transport the benefit is you are close to both Sydenham and Lower Sydenham stations and even Penge East is only a 15-20 minute walk away.
laura82

Post by laura82 »

Thank you!!! both very useful!!
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I have lived on Fairlawn Park for 5 years approx and its a fairly quiet street. As stated we did have a problem with the mini scooters but I got in touch with the Safer Neighbourhood Team and they were quick to respond and told me they had spoken to the offending yoots!! Things quietened down after that. Nice big house, drive, big gardens, good value for money.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm thinking of buying aplace there too.

Anything I should know, any structural problems, has anyone converted the loft, who lives there? Is it rented accomodation? Families etc?

Are there any neighbourhood associations, if not, would anyone be interested in starting one? I'm all for a sense of community...if it works out you will all have to come around for tea!

So many questions!

I hope I get lots of answers!

Thanks for reading.

Lee
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Hi Lee,

If you do buy in FP and are serious about the residents assoc, pm me. I have been chatting to a few neighbours and a few seem interested.

Global
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

Lee,

I have lived in Fairlawn Park Road for over six years. I agree with all the previous comments.

I am not aware of any structural problems with the houses. A neighbour of mine (in his 50s) who has lived on the street all his life told me that the houses on the street were not all built at one time and consequently are somewhat different in nature. I understand some of the house at the bottom of the road, near Sydenham Road, even have cellars. A roofer, who came to quote for a new roof, told me his brother lived on Fairlawn Park Road and that the houses on the road were 'well built' He did say though that some years ago many of the slate roofs were replaced with concrete tiles roofs. The firm that did it roped in many of the household on the road so as to get a cheaper price. However the roofs should have had extra rafters fitted to support the extra weight of the tiles and lead flashing was not fitted to the edges of the new roofs or around the chimney - storing up problems for the future. The roofer also added that my property was 'much larger than his brothers', although I found this hard to believe.

My neighbour had a loft conversion a couple of years ago and had no problem getting planning permission and is very happy with it.

There is a mixture of people living in the road, both old and young. Most of the houses are still houses and have not been converted into flats. I believe the vast majority are owner occupied. The top of the road, near to the allotments, is not surprisingly the quietiest part of the road. Parking doesn't seem to be a problem.

If I had the more savings and a larger salary I may not have chosen to live in Sydenham, but I do think I got value for money here.

HS
poppy

Fairlawn park

Post by poppy »

We moved to Sydenham last year from Honor Oak and it is by far a nicer area. It is more family orientated and feels like a more stable community probably because most of the houses have not been converted into flats. It's greener and has more varied and impressive architecture. Most of Sydenham high street has just been given conservation area status as well (the Thorpe estate behind already had this). The place is full of musicians and people who work in the art and media industries which gives the area an interesting vibe, as well as people who have lived here most of their lives. Alexandra, Mayow, Wells and Crystal Palace parks are all within walking distance of central Sydenham and you can even walk to the Horniman Museum and gardens in 25 mins or it's a short bus ride. It is also just a short bus ride to Dulwich village from the bottom of Kirkdale/Cobbs Corner. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live at the moment.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Looks like I wont be in Fairlawn park after all.

I got gazumped by the owners of 113 yesterday. They waited untill after I had purchased a full survey and mortgage valuation and have put it back on the market for more money.

Look like I might not be coming to Sydenham after all. Why do people do this? I thought the hips were supposed to stop gazumping.

Anyway, if anyone is thinking of buying 113 Fairlawn park, I have a full survey going cheap if you want to buy it.

Luckily come friends have said they will put me up so me and my fiancee I won't be homeless over Christmas.

To the owners of 113 Fairlawn park, think before you accept an offer. Think very hard.

Regards

A very angry Lee.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Sorry to hear your news. It will be interesting if the current owner does get a better price than your offer - current housing market news suggests that this will be a challenge.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

In reply to my own post - being 'interesting' to me won't at all make up for the frustration / anger you feel.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Well, it's interesting to me too! There is a lot coming on the market and not as many buyers so time will tell.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

So sorry to hear that Lee - the only consolation is that there is usually something better round the corner! The same thing happened to us some years ago - the house we eventually bought was much nicer. Surely though prices should be coming down (or at least stabilising) with the current uncertainty in the housing market and the likely 'credit crunch'...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it always turns out in the end!

I have found in Sydenham more than any other area I have been looking over the last 4 months (Lewisham, Brockley, Crofton Park, Forest Hill, Honour Oak, Greenwich) people putting property on the market for 20 grand on top of anything else in the market, them someone else doing the same. It's really unique of these areas to Sydenham and I find it astonishing. Then months later these places have to reduce their price, it's a really odd market here compared to other places. The Albert cottages in Sydenham have don ea similar thing and they are really struggling to sell.
poppy

Fairlawn park

Post by poppy »

Maybe it's because so much is happening in Sydenham, suddenly. With the Dolphin reopening under new management last December and the Blue Mountain cafe opeing this month and Zucker soon to reopen. (There is loads more in the pipeline too). So the people selling know it is becoming more and more desirable and want to cash in. Personally, as someone who has lived in Forest Hill and Honor Oak, I think it is an area which has probably been undervalued compared to Brockley, FH or HO in the past. Which I think have traditionally been a bit more expensive because they are further up the line than Sydenham. But, back of the Horniman accepted - an area I like but couldn't being doing with those hills every day - it feels like a safer, greener and more established community, and very accessible, with a train station being right in the centre (and others on the edges). With a high street which, after a very long decline, is undergoing a revival and is beginning to reflect the people who live here once again. But people aren't flocking here yet, hence the dithering over price maybe...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I don't dissagree that Sydenham is a nice place, that's why I am moving here, but the amount of people after properties is the same in Brockley as it is in Sydenham, infact according to many estate agents the market fell flat in Sydenham before it did in others, mostly due to the high street which puts a lot of people off and gives Sydenham a bad name to those who don't actually know it. Sad, but true.

That still doesn't excuse how 2 houses in the same road a few yards apart can be 290,000 and 360,000 when decor wise they are very similar (i.e need a similar amount of work) which frankly is bonkers.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Hi Lee,

Don't give up hope, I think you'll find 113 still on the market after Xmas. Although I understand them holding out for more money, it hasn't materialised and probably never will. The price on this property has consistently dropped in the months it has been up for sale.

I know the property you were going to buy, and I imagine you put in a realistic offer considering the amount of work that needed doing. It has been up for sale since early summer and as you rightly pointed out it hasn't sold for a reason.

You may be in a good position to negotiate, hang in there.

I hope you do become a neighbour, but if not good luck.

GT
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Mann Countrywide sent me the details of 113 Fairlawn Park today which was clever of them at the new inflated price.

Luckily they didnt write 'hahaha' at the bottom of it!

I know these things are probably automated, but even so, you would have thought they might have made sure I wasn't sent the details of the property I was gazumped on!

It's actually amost funny!...almost....
user100

Post by user100 »

Lee, sorry to hear about your situation in Fairlawn.

Maybe you can take comfort from the fact that you have not actually been gazumped.

Gazumping is when an offer is accepted from buyer A, and while both buyer and vendor are in the process of sorting out contracts, the vendor decides to accept an offer from buyer B.

As there is no buyer B in this case, you have not been gazumped i.e. the property is still on the market.

So, this vendor is taking a chance that:

1. they will find a buyer at a higher price than your offer;

and

2. that if they don't, you will still be interested in dealing with them as they have proven themselves unreliable.

It is just possible that they may not get any higher offers and have to come back to you, cap in hand, asking you for the same offer again.

In the meantime, you will hopefully have found something better.

Out of curiousity, did you offer the asking price?

And did they accept your offer formally?

and how long between the acceptance of the offer and them withdrawing their agreement?