New chippy and kebab shop

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Checkmate

New chippy and kebab shop

Post by Checkmate »

....opening today, I hear, near Sydenham station?

Anyone heard or know anything?
Eagle

Re: New chippy and kebab shop

Post by Eagle »

On no more tubbies.
Mrs Barty

Post by Mrs Barty »

How Rude :x
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why is it rude Mrs B

far too many chip shops in SR

far to many overweight people also.

As a child chips were an occasional treat , now no meal is complete without them , even if like cottage pie it has already got pots.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's next to the trophy shop. I was hoping it was going to be a great Turkish restaurant like mere mental in brockley. But it appears to be a bog standard, rather boring kebab and chip shop with some seating. Which we have already.

I yearn for something bespoke, special and local to entice me to part with the little disposable cash I have left after nursery and nappies.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle - I'm going to lay down a challenge. Let's see if you'd like to accept it.

For just one week only, I'd like to see you reply to threads (outside the Pub,obviously) only when you have something factual to add, something helpful to the OP. So, for example, this thread opens with a question. Do you know anything about the new kebab shop / chippy? If the answer is no, try (just for one week, go on, I dare you) to say NOTHING AT ALL if you have nothing HELPFUL to say. Something that is purely opinion (such as your delightful tubbys comment) should not pass your keyboard at all this week if the thread is not in the Pub.

I'm just interested to see if you can do it.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Would we rather and empty shop in that location? - surely a shop opening is a good sign? - don't get me wrong another chip shop is just adding to the takeaway paradise that we already have (I personally feel this shop is in a pretty prime location for footfall from the station!) and might do alright!!) a chip shop is not the end of the world. Orpington are up in arms about charity shops - bet they'd love a chip shop!? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... um=twitter

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Completely agree with Rachael.

I've just been down to the aforementioned chip shop. I was the only person in there that you might call tubby.

Now I can cope with being called tubby, because, whether seen as unkind or not, it's a fact. What is also a fact is that 4 years ago I weighed 24 stone adn now I weigh 19. Tubby hides a multitude of stories.

What is not a fact, is that chip shops are only frequented by "tubbies". What is also a fact is that the Town Cafe is not the place to pass your comments about tubbies.

See you in The Pub, Eagle.

For anyone interested, the cod was lovely.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Checkmate wrote:What is not a fact, is that chip shops are only frequented by "tubbies". What is also a fact is that the Town Cafe is not the place to pass your comments about tubbies.
+1
Thank goodness you didn't admit to being a tubby cyclist or your goose would have been well and truly cooked :wink:
Congrats on your weight loss. If only I could do age loss ....

Stuart
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Isn't Cod an endangered species?
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Rachael wrote:Eagle - I'm going to lay down a challenge. Let's see if you'd like to accept it.

For just one week only, I'd like to see you reply to threads (outside the Pub,obviously) only when you have something factual to add, something helpful to the OP. So, for example, this thread opens with a question. Do you know anything about the new kebab shop / chippy? If the answer is no, try (just for one week, go on, I dare you) to say NOTHING AT ALL if you have nothing HELPFUL to say. Something that is purely opinion (such as your delightful tubbys comment) should not pass your keyboard at all this week if the thread is not in the Pub.

I'm just interested to see if you can do it.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think that Eagle's comment was funny and held more than an ounce of truth.

What's he like :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I try to be amusing . Life can be very dull otherwise.
Of course element of truth .

May I wish the new chip shop and all who sail in her the very best for the future in our new slimline Sydenham
maestro

Post by maestro »

mikecg wrote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think that Eagle's comment was funny and held more than an ounce of truth.

What's he like :D
I've always imagined he's probably something like this......

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nice one maestro .

Sadly people like your picture are all too common , but hopefully with clothes on.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Close to the station may prove very convenient for many prospective clientel!
Successfull businesses are so often all about 'Location-location-location'..

Obviously competition for existing businesses too - so it may just come down to
tasty cod 'n' chips at a reasonable price! (Or kebabs)..
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If my memory serves me correctly this same building housed The Jimmy Small School of Ballroom Dancing in the 60's.

What a change , but not for the better I think.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Wrong building Eagle, Jimmy Smalls school of dancing was in station approach, almost above where London cars used to be, above the gym I believe
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sorry Multisinc

I know the JS building , got confused where the knew healthy eating option would be.

Thanks
pip

Post by pip »

Strangely though whenever I leave after noshing on cod and chips in the local chippy I am generally nearly 7 pounds lighter :l :(
essuu

Post by essuu »

In *my* opinion there's a dearth of good quality fish & chip shops in the area so I was very pleased to see a new one open up.

On first visit, I am happy to report that the cod & chips are of fine quality. Batter light, not stodgy and perfectly cooked.

Whether it will last we wait to see but so far they're straight to the top of my personal league table :D