Hello there Sydenham! Tell me about yourself

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
deed

Hello there Sydenham! Tell me about yourself

Post by deed »

Hello all!

I will be moving to Sydenham at the beginning of next month - found a nice little flat to move into on Venner Road, woohoo!

I'm moving from Honor Oak Park, which isn't too far and although I've heard good things about it don't really know the Sydenham area very well.

So what's it like?? Where are the best places to go - any bars/pubs you would recommend, any decent places to go eat? Also, any decent parks other than Crystal Palace close by? I have an overactive beagle who will need tiring out!

Ta! :)

Dee
Eagle

Re: Hello there Sydenham! Tell me about yourself

Post by Eagle »

Welcome

I know Venner Road well as spent my first 24 years there.

For walking your dog nearest place is Alexandria Rec Area on Tannsfeld Rd. Depending where you are in Venner Rd about 5 mins walk from Tredown Junction.

As for Pubs being 64 probably not same taste as you( assuming you are younger). Best pud probably Dolphin, but depends on your taste.

Hope your stay in Venner Road good.
deed

Post by deed »

Cheers, ill check it out :D
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Welcome!
dickp

Post by dickp »

If you're the Sydenham High Street end of Venner Road, Mayow Park is also do-able. The entrance is off Silverdale.
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

Being a Venner Road resident I would like to say to you, our new neighbour: Welcome :-) I hope you will enjoy living here too :-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Welcome to the forum!

I supoose, before you ask Sydenham to tell you about itself, you need to tell us about yourself!

My recommendations of things to do and places to go in Sydenham would be coloured by my own tastes and interests.... for example.... seeing as I am an original couch potato with a fondness for takeaways, I would say that someone moving to Venner Road need look no further than Harbour 321 for a chippy or Selims for a kebab..... but if you are a healthy fitness fanatlic you would now be running for the sink to throw up in :D
Mumcah

Post by Mumcah »

Sydenham wells park (off Jews Walk) is lovely. Good play area and water fountains.

Mayow park is good too.

Beckenham place park is fun,five minute drive away with lots of woods.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
alywin

Post by alywin »

I too was going to recommend the Alexandra Rec for dog-walking: it has a nice little circuit, so you can go round it as many times as you feel like. Or even, if you happen to be at the Penge East end, cross over the railway, go onto the main road and there's another park - I forget the name - on the other side of the road.

You should be warned that Venner Road seems to have more than its fair share of cats :)
Iris

Post by Iris »

Welcome to Sydenham hope you settled in nicely
Do visit us in Mayow Park some time
Grow Mayow Community Garden http://growmayow.blogspot.co.uk/