& being Chinese, & Boris backed, matters because?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
CaptainCarCrash

& being Chinese, & Boris backed, matters because?

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

admin wrote:This thread has descended in to racial abuse. I have moved that part to TBO. That is not a reason to continue use of such pejorative versions of Gypsy in a community forum. Until I am convinced otherwise its use will be regarded in a similar vein to the variant of the word negro.

Admin

PS take issue with me in Town Asylum and not here please.
My God,

Whatever next?

Feeble beyond weedy.
hairybuddha

Re: & being Chinese, & Boris backed, matters because?

Post by hairybuddha »

Pretty much any internet search for the definition of the word brings up "offensive term for gypsy" Even the term gypsy is often defined as "offensive term for travelling communities".

So a good decision from admin. I'm also a little embarrassed at being the catalyst for the word being thrown around quite so much in that thread but worth it I think to draw attention to another little outburst of unthinking bigotry from Eagle.
CaptainCarCrash

hairybuddha wrote:Pretty much any internet search for the definition of the word brings up "offensive term for gypsy" Even the term gypsy is often defined as "offensive term for travelling communities".

So a good decision from admin. I'm also a little embarrassed at being the catalyst for the word being thrown around quite so much in that thread but worth it I think to draw attention to another little outburst of unthinking bigotry from Eagle.
????????

I was also ignorant to the term being racist otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned anything about it.

I'm honestly surprised that the word beginning with G is a derogatory term?

Honestly I am shocked at the level of righteousness I'm yet to achieve. I suppose the golden rule is "if in doubt dont".

Lesson learned.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

if in doubt RESEARCH
CaptainCarCrash

Manwithaview1 wrote:if in doubt RESEARCH
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fat_Gypsy_Weddings

I'm still not convinced that the G word is wrong?????
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

To clarify the moderation position on STF:

* Use of the word Gypsy in a calm factual way - OK
* Use of the word G*y*p*o in a pejorative way - NOT OK

Grateful if people did not go borderline hunting ...

Admin
CaptainCarCrash

Indeed.

Someone, I think it was michael. said the word Gypsy was racist?

No problem
michael

Post by michael »

CaptainCarCrash wrote:Indeed.

Someone, I think it was michael. said the word Gypsy was racist?

No problem
I said Gypsy is a pejorative term, I did not say use of the term is racist. As Wikipedia says:
Gypsy, an English term for Romani or other groups with a traditionally non-sedentary lifestyle (sometimes considered pejorative) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy
The fact that the term derives from 'Egyptian' when Romani people have no connection with Egypt should demonstrate why it should be considered as outdated a term as 'Red Indian' to describe Native Americans.

but let's also turn to Wiktionary - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gypsy
Gypsy. The generic usage that refers to any itinerant person who is suspected of dishonest practices derives from traditional racist stereotypes of the Romani people.
The use of 'Gypsy' (or possibly abbreviations thereof) can be used in a descriptive way, or it can be used as an insult directed at Travellers or others. To use an ethnic identity as a term of abuse and a generalisation to any form of behaviour (such as living in a caravan) is most likely to be racist, whether intentionally or not.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

The organisation set up by gypsies/Romanies themselves to represent their interests in this country is called the Gypsy Council.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The issue on moderation here is that more weight is given to the intention than the actual words.

The intention in using the word g*y*p*o is usually insulting and with the baggage it carries means it will likely fail many members sensibilities including mine. Hence it should be avoided.

The use of the word Gypsy is usually to communicate a description of an individual to an other in terms they can easily comprehend. Alone it does not convey 'goodness' or 'badness'. Hence it is not in itself insulting.

Racism is something I am going to duck. Its really not my place to define what is and what isn't. Insulting any group by association is an easier thing to handle. Just please don't do it. It pi**es people off and the quality of debate here nosedives and good people leave.

Admin