Open links in new window / tab?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Rachael

Open links in new window / tab?

Post by Rachael »

When I click on a link in the forum, it navigates me away from the forum and opens the link in the same tab. Is there a way to change my preferences so links open a new tab? I've had a look at my user CP but can't see an option there to control this.
JRobinson

Re: Open links in new window / tab?

Post by JRobinson »

you can try 'shift' click, or 'ctrl' click, which open links in another tab or window.
also if you have a scroll mouse, the default set up is I believe that if you click the link with the mouse wheel, or middle button, the link automatically opens in another tab, but doesn't change the focus from the front tab.

we had a similar discussion on another forum recently, and I think it's a setting in the forum software for all users rather than individual settings.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

On my mac, in Safari, Shift-click sends the link to my Reader. Ctrl-click is the same as right-click, which does give me the option to open the link in a new window.

The problem is, this is the only website I use where this happens, so the chances are I will forget to do that. I'd rather it was automatic.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

exactly the same argument as had in the other forum - this is the only forum where the default is to open it in the same window, same tab, and navigate away from STF.

but you get used to what you do most - I'm not entirely fussed either way, so wouldn't mind if the default was changed to open a link in a new tab.
I'm not sure how difficult this would be for admin to set up.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well, that answers my question about whether there is a setting I was missing - there isn't. Thanks.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Well thanks anyway, Rachael. because I now realise that, if you know how, it is possible to open a link in another tab, i.e. by ctrl/click or by right click/select 'open in new tab'. I didn't know that. I hope it will be useful when, for example, I insert a link in a (draft) posting and want to check in the 'preview' that it works before selecting 'submit.'

Incidentally, I still usually fail when I try to link a URL to a bit of (highlighted, underlined) text in my post, rather than simply to insert the URL itself into my text, which looks a lot less stylish. If I hover over the URL button it tells me how to do it, but, infuriatingly, the instructions disappear before I have time to work out what they mean and then remember them! (Old age, no doubt.) Might someone be kind enough to spell out in clear and easy steps what code you have to type in where?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I could fix it so links opened in a new window by default. But it has to be one or the other. If you can form a significant majority I will do it.

Admin
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I can be a very persistent minority of one.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Robin Orton wrote:...[clip]...
Incidentally, I still usually fail when I try to link a URL to a bit of (highlighted, underlined) text in my post, rather than simply to insert the URL itself into my text, which looks a lot less stylish. If I hover over the URL button it tells me how to do it, but, infuriatingly, the instructions disappear before I have time to work out what they mean and then remember them! (Old age, no doubt.) Might someone be kind enough to spell out in clear and easy steps what code you have to type in where?
Is this what you mean: News This is the URL link to the BBC as an example, showing News as the clicky.

This shows the keystrokes, but with the asterisks either end deleted, leaving no spaces. It's the only way I could show it without it converting itself to a clicky: I've enlarged it so you can see the colours easier.

[*url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/]News[/url*] I've coloured re edits noted below.

It's quicker if you copy/paste the address into the reply box, mouseover it to select it then click URL button on the horizontal menu above the reply box, which puts URL open and close tags around it, then edit it by first inserting = and deleting the first closing bracket ] then inserting a new closing bracket ] after the address as shown above, then type the word(s) you want (mine is News). I've colour coded the changes after you've got the URL address in tags.

This certainly works, but you can see on Preview if it hasn't. It won't work unless you copy/paste the full exact URL, so far better than risking typing errors. Some forums will automatically delete a whole post if a clicky leads to a broken URL link. Also make sure you edit it correctly, especially paired brackets.

Good luck and do shout if it won't play nicely.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Like this, you mean?

Great. Simple when you know how! Three easy steps

(1) insert =
(2) remove the first closing bracket
(3) add a new closing bracket at the end of the address to mark the beginning of the text you want to use to introduce the link.

Thanks for the clear explanation, Mosy. I'm really grateful.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yay :)