Spam

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
robbieduncan

Spam

Post by robbieduncan »

I've not been on here long (to say the least) but there seems to be a lot of spam that sits around for a while:

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10381
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10365
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10387

I appreciate it's hard to get rid of these things instantly (I help moderate a forum which can see over 10,000 posts a day) but some of these are days old...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Spam

Post by admin »

Thank you - they are all gone now.

You highlighted a flaw in the monitoring system. They were in TBO which because you have to be logged in - doesn't arrive on the RSS feed. That's why I missed them.

What forum do you moderate?

Admin
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Thanks for dealing with them :)

I help moderate forums.macrumors.com

We don't get alerted for reports: our system essentially relies on there being enough moderators that the queue is monitored most of the time
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

robbieduncan wrote:I help moderate forums.macrumors.com
Chapeau - even if it is to the dark side :wink:

I notice its running on VBulletin. You've not been tempted to go Xenforo? Or would the database migration be too eye-watering?

Admin
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

admin wrote:
robbieduncan wrote:I help moderate forums.macrumors.com
Chapeau - even if it is to the dark side :wink:

I notice its running on VBulletin. You've not been tempted to go Xenforo? Or would the database migration be too eye-watering?

Admin
I don't own the site, simply help moderate it. It's still on an old version of VBulletin as upgrading to the newer versions would require so much work and re-write of custom code. I think moving to something else entirely would be a nightmare!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

robbieduncan wrote:It's still on an old version of VBulletin as upgrading to the newer versions would require so much work and re-write of custom code. I think moving to something else entirely would be a nightmare!
That's a nasty position to be in if any vulnerabilities are exposed.

The people who wrote VBulletin are now Xenforo and may be more technically adapt helping migrating across rather than upgrading VBulletin. I have the impression, hopefully wrong, that the current VBulletin management are more in the cash cow business.

Admin
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

admin wrote:
robbieduncan wrote:It's still on an old version of VBulletin as upgrading to the newer versions would require so much work and re-write of custom code. I think moving to something else entirely would be a nightmare!
That's a nasty position to be in if any vulnerabilities are exposed.

The people who wrote VBulletin are now Xenforo and may be more technically adapt helping migrating across rather than upgrading VBulletin. I have the impression, hopefully wrong, that the current VBulletin management are more in the cash cow business.

Admin
Questions have been asked very recently (the last couple of weeks) following a security breach. V3 (which is what MacRumors runs) currently appears more secure than v4 or v5! But I agree. I suspect that all options are being explored behind the scenes by those further up the chain than me.