Removal of Threads

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Joanne

Removal of Threads

Post by Joanne »

Admin,

You have done this yet again. Therefore I do not want to be a Member.

Please ensure that this is put in place.

Joanne
mosy

Re: Removal of Threads

Post by mosy »

Joanne, your latest post wasn't removed. It was transferred to the Town Asylum, as that is the home for matters about the site itself. Link: https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12458

Not sure how you'd have known that by just looking in the Town Hall.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Thank you Rachel, Pally for responding.
Why do you think it is okay for Jonathan to email me directly and voice his opinions in a strong way in private as opposed to speaking openly on the Forum?
I have acknowledged that it is not right to criticise Louise’s business. But I also described the context, referring to SEE3 Pop Ups. Not one worked in SE26.
There appeared to be no business acumen and the promises from SEE3 set people (start –ups) up for failure. They couldn’t even manage themselves – they were forced to close down their own hub, advice centre.
At all points there is a need to consider business viability.
Also the appearance of the business on the High Street, how it’s contributing in that way.
Running a business requires turnover. And for that to be regular requires a sound concept.
Whether it’s Lower Sydenham or not, there are still a lot of costs to meet. It’s not easy. But what you don’t want to be doing is offering a service which is already being done pretty well just up the road on the main High Street.
That is totally foolish.
Admin- please remove me as a Member now. Thanks
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Joanne - I understand that it can be unpleasant or upsetting to directly receive emails about things you think better discussed here. But it's a private communication, and the etiquette is not to publicy post private communications without the other person's permission. Not just in this case, but generally. I'm not saying what Jonathan did was either right or wrong. Just that you can't do that. I'm not even sure it's legal.

The admin here is very (in my opinion) pretty reasonable. You can close your membership yourself if you want but please sleep on it and reconsider.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Joanne wrote:Thank you Rachel, Pally for responding.
Why do you think it is okay for Jonathan to email me directly and voice his opinions in a strong way in private as opposed to speaking openly on the Forum?
I have acknowledged that it is not right to criticise Louise’s business. But I also described the context, referring to SEE3 Pop Ups. Not one worked in SE26.
There appeared to be no business acumen and the promises from SEE3 set people (start –ups) up for failure. They couldn’t even manage themselves – they were forced to close down their own hub, advice centre.
At all points there is a need to consider business viability.
Also the appearance of the business on the High Street, how it’s contributing in that way.
Running a business requires turnover. And for that to be regular requires a sound concept.
Whether it’s Lower Sydenham or not, there are still a lot of costs to meet. It’s not easy. But what you don’t want to be doing is offering a service which is already being done pretty well just up the road on the main High Street.
That is totally foolish.
Admin- please remove me as a Member now. Thanks
It is for individuals to decide whether they will say in public what they say in private! Personally I think that if one wishes to say something, one should be wiilling to say it openly. However if someone chooses to say it privately they should choose about publicity! I think it will be a shame if you leave the site again
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Pally
I will take a break from posting on the Forum.

On reflection I can now see why Admin removed the posts. I actually have a lot of respect for him, how the site is run.

Both you and Rachael have expressed similar concerns that I state my observations to be facts. When instead these are thought to be subjective and have more to do with my personal tastes.

In part I agree. However I do actually in my mind refer to standards. By this I mean: discerning, well informed choices and quality of execution. I’m not sure that is subjective. But this does overlap with aesthetics and that is.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Anyone is entitled to discuss in private via email or on a public forum. Sometimes it's best to do it in private. Threads can go off topic and frankly it's boring reading the same thing posted again and again and again.

If threads go widely off topic or end up going around in circles or private correspondence is posted, or it gets abusive or personal, then I think Admin has every right to close the thread.

On top of this I think it's helpful and potentially damaging to Sydenham and would discourage further discussion about the high street or people getting involved if they think they will be torn down on a forum.

Everyone has the right to express an opinion, but there are times and ways of doing it.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Just to reply Joanne that the SEE3 Core Team do have a range of professional qualifications and experience of running organisations in the public and private sector. it is not true that we were not forced to close down Jill, our community hub in Sydenham. The facts are that the landlord offered us 27 Sydenham Road on a rent free basis whist the property was marketed and a new commercial tenant signed the lease. This process took 6 months and the agreement worked well as SEE3 moved out when Cherry and Ice were all set to move in and start their refurbishment.

In terms of the pop-up shops we had five in Sydenham - the first was 4 Station Approach that was relet after several months of temporary use; 167 Sydenham Road was used until December 2013 and in 2014 terms were agreed for the current user; 172 Sydenham Road now has a long term user in Carnival Emporium leaving 5 Kent House for reletting. The issue with this space is that there is no separate w.c. and worked as a pop-up because of the use of 172. The fifth pop-up was the small space on the bridge which traded really well but Property World decided to reuse as an estate agent.

It is my view that we have the lowest vacancy rate of empty shops in Sydenham for a good many years.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Chris

At the moment it's important you observe this from Admin:

'I shall be enforcing a moratorium on SEE3 & Animal Safari till things calm down.'
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Spot on Joanne!

I guess Chris didn't spot it so it would be a bit unfair to delete and I hope its not too much of a pain to lose the right of reply but I feel it best if I close this too. I feel bad about this. Our Town Centre retail opportunities should be one of the most important topics on STF and SEE3 should figure in that. But we haven't yet found a way of making it work.

I'll put my thinking cap on and, if folks are willing, maybe meet you all individually and put something together as seen by an interested outsider. Hopefully it won't annoy you all, or if it does at least equally.

Admin