Monster ate my pages!

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
admin
Site Admin

Monster ate my pages!

Post by admin »

Readers might like to know that yesterday's events made quite an impact on Sydenham Town. Our logs for Tuesday shows:

* Main website delivered 1314 pages to 451 people (average is 577 to 226)
* Forum delivered 4241 pages to 201 people (average is 1197 to 87)

I do know the media were monitoring the site - but that is quite remarkable. I know some of it was very silly but it brought a lot of new people to Sydenham Town. And a bit of silliness is very welcome in slow news times. But I hope we can keep a balance of fun & serious comment in the Forum.

My thinking is that maybe we should combine the 'Announcement' & 'Discussion' zones and then create a seperate 'Chat' zone. The former would be issue related - the latter more for banter & fun.

Your serious thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Newman

Post by Newman »

Sounds like a good idea, admin. I've noticed that some newcomers to the site have started conversations in one thread that were already ongoing in another thread. At first glance, the number of sections in the forum does seem a bit convoluted and unclear (there is a fair bit of crossover between 'Announcements' and 'General Discussion' for instance), so perhaps it would work better if you made a clear distinction between a more chatty section and a more serious, issue-led one.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Agree with the web bloke and Newman,

an area for fun and banter is cool, and another for serious news topics, in line with further discussion board tidying up/clarity is welcome!

Happy Wednesday!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Adam wrote:Agree with the web bloke
Its Stuart! I use Admin when I'm posting as facilitator on behalf of everyone and Stuart when I'm posting for myself. But sometimes I can't be bothered to logout/login when I change persona....

Anyway if we go ahead with the change I was thinking of calling replacements for Announcements & Discussion:

Town Hall (good worthy issues)
Town Cafe (chat, fun & banter)
+
Do you Remember?
Reviews
Website Issues

Whatyathink?
Newman

Post by Newman »

Sounds like a plan, Stuart.
Jane73

Sounds good

Post by Jane73 »

Might make it easier to find things. Might be tricky to decide what's a serious issue & what's banter though....
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Its a good idea, but I do find it difficult to determine what is truth and what is fiction, what is good and what is bad, and what should be treated seriously and what is a bit of a laugh.

I just think, if possible, we should try and have a laugh at anything we can, unless it is in totally bad taste.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fishcox wrote:Its a good idea, but I do find it difficult to determine what is truth and what is fiction, what is good and what is bad, and what should be treated seriously and what is a bit of a laugh.
Why worry?

You post where you feel it fits. If it becomess deadly serious or becomes very silly (like our beloved moggie threads) I can just move the thread from one zone to the other. Its just a matter of keeping a balance. Some people come here to think deeply, others to enjoy themselves. Some want to do both. Its just a case of people finding what they want easily. Bit like in the old days deciding whether to go into the public bar or the lounge.

May be a case of trusting the Admin's judgement - and when Admin gets it wrong - Website Issues is the place to take him apart...
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I like the idea of "Town Hall" and "Town Cafe" -seems to sum things up perfectly.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Weeble wrote:I like the idea of "Town Hall" and "Town Cafe" -seems to sum things up perfectly.
OK then, I'll do it probably early next week.

I have also added (for the duration) another zone - 'Town Hustings' where virtual bricks'n'bats can be thrown at the upcoming parliamentary candidates.