Town News RSS Feed?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
admin
Site Admin

Town News RSS Feed?

Post by admin »

Good to see the RSS feed is of use to others - the original requirement was so I could keep tabs on the Forum from my PDA.

I have considered extending RSS to the main website for news etc which would act as a kind of alert. Doing so is untrivial requiring page restructures and upgrading a server. An alternative is to create a new category here "Town News" which I copy the headlines from the frontpage. The existing RSS feed would then pick it up. Would this be seen as useful or needless duplication?

Alternatively I could setup an email alert service. Personally I don't need more email but other people may prefer it. WhatchaFink?

Users unfamiliar with RSS may wish to check out the introductory thread elsewhere is this Forum.
DaveT

email or rss

Post by DaveT »

A restructure sounds painful, but have to be honest I prefer the RSS feed idea more than an email notification.

Generally find that when email arrives, it either gets dealt with right there and then, or not at all (and then forgotten).

RSS also works on my ipaq, but I get too much email to sync email onto there.