Oooops! Server Failure

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
admin
Site Admin

Oooops! Server Failure

Post by admin »

At about 3pm today (Monday 3rd July) the STF server had a catastrophic disk crash. Hence no forum until 23:45. Apologies for the downtime.

I mounted a dump of the Forum taken at 9am this morning on this new server. Hence, I'm afraid, any postings made between 9am and 3pm are lost - but not the previous 4 years.

The old server had been running for 4 years 24/7 so it had done us proud. Time for a new backup!

Admin
Last edited by admin on 12 Aug 2009 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

A minor hiccup. Personally I think you are an unsung hero. We should all be grateful to you for keeping this forum going; I know I would'nt have the time or the patience.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I've subsequently experienced two other periods of several hours (the second yesterday) when I got a message saying the forum site couldn't be reached. The same problem? Another one? A problem at my end (but I seemed to be able to access any other site I wanted)?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Monday's crash forced an ungraceful transfer to another server. Hence the DNS settings (that bit of the net that tells your browser where to find a website) were set to provide a 'smooth' service, not one that is reactive to changes.

So there would be some persistance for some browsers to return to the dead server. Also some ISPs own DNS can compound the issue.

It should have all 'smoothed out' by now. And we have a spanky new replacement server. Bigger and faster. So we will be transfering STF back shortly. But as this is 'planned' there should be no downtime and a message and redirection if your ISP sends you to the wrong place.

I will post a message about the actual time (which will be in the night).

Again apologies for this period of rough running.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:I will post a message about the actual time (which will be in the night).
Nope, changed my mind. Will be doing it between 1.30 & 2pm!

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Server was changed at 2pm. There are a few cache (memory) issues which may prevent you logging in. They should resolve within the hour.

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

Ahhhh, a server change! Now you're talking my language, Admin!

We have those at Southern from time to time. It causes all train information screens at all Southern stations to go blank for about ten mins, and causes blind panic amongst station staff all over Southern, who either run away and hide, take a tea break - no, sorry, a Personal Needs Break as they are now known, or get on the phone to my office assuming it's our fault!!!