Inviting business's to join the disscussion

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
back_ache

Inviting business's to join the disscussion

Post by back_ache »

This is probally a stupid idea but..

You know when a business or organisation get discussed on the forum who themselves are not part of the forum.

Why dosn't someone send a note around to them inviting them to the party?

For the cost of a biro, a piece of paper and some shoe leather it could make the forum more dynamic (plus potentially raise interest in advertising).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi back-ache,

I think I frequent most of the businesses that get a good report here. Some of them purely because they got a good report here ...

I do leave the Sydenham Town business card with a warm invitation to take advantage of ST for free. Sadly, with a few brilliant exceptions, I hear no more. It gets a little more delicate if the business gets rubbished but thankfully there is little of that here. Damning with faint praise is usually more effective!

I attend the regeneration meetings and talk frequently to the chair of Sydenham Traders (who is a real treasure to Sydenham), write papers for Lewisham and share some ideas on how we could put Sydenham on the map.

The response is, frankly, underwhelming. The opportunity ST offers is either misplaced or a large part of the local business community can't see a gift horse. You choose ...

My invitation to the Glamour Lounge appears to have fallen on stony ground. Are you connected? If so do you want to PM me about it?
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

It's a pity the business's are looking a gift horse in the mouth, it seems quite silly of them, engaging with local community can only be a good thing.

I can't think of any other way to engage the community other than leaving piles of cards in shops or giving them out to commuters!

I have no connection to GL so cannot make them join the discussion, give out invites or join the traders association however wise I think that would be.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

back_ache wrote:I have no connection to GL so cannot make them join the discussion, give out invites or join the traders association however wise I think that would be.
I have no point of contact so cannot really add anything about them on the main site without some firm information. Any leads would be helpful - as with the 'police incident' at the weekend.