Is It My Fault Or Yours?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
lemonade

Is It My Fault Or Yours?

Post by lemonade »

Hello

Can I ask a question about connecting to this site?

Often when I am connected (via broadband) to this forum and typing a reply there seems to be a "time-out" and when I try to submit, I find I have been logged out and have to log in again.

I don't mind logging in again, but whatever I have previously typed is lost and I have to start from scratch. This has happened on several occasions.

Can you tell me is there someting at your end or is it me?

Do any other forum members experience the same problem?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Lemonade,

I enjoy your posts and have problem with my gas boiler atm - and I'm sorry you are having problems. I have not had the same problem and would also be interested to know if it is common.

Dunno if it helps but you can always retrieve your posting by going back to the submission page and copy the contents to the clipboard (highlight & Ctrl-C). So if you log back in you can then paste it (Ctrl-V) back into the box.

Getting back to the problem. It might be that it is your setup that is timing out. I use a router which is always 'on'. If you use a USB 'modem' then your ISP has probably set it up as a 'Dial-Up' cannection which is a real bodge and should be avoided - but that is another story. If you are using a dial-up connection then, by default, it drops the connection after a period of non communication (and filling in the box doesn't send anything until you hit the submit button). You probably see why using dial-up to broadband is not a good idea.

Check your settings to see if this is happening. Which ISP are you using?

HTH,
Admin
lemonade

Internet Stuff

Post by lemonade »

Hello Admin
Thanks for your advice with this. I must admit all that ISP stuff and other PC related jargon is a bit beyond me. My friend knows alot more about Computers, so I'll get him have a look at various settings for me.
What's up with your boiler? Will be glad to help if I can....(provided it's not MS Windows based - :lol: )