On.... conversation, discussion, debate and argument

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc

Is the Sydenham Town forum a good thing?

Poll ended at 19 Aug 2006 15:20

Absolutely... Definitely!
82%
I'm not so sure
No votes
No
18%
With improvements it might be
No votes

Total votes: 11

Annie

Post by Annie »

:wink:
Oh well, if they have nothing better to do!
i hope they are being entertained by us all Hahaha :lol:
SamC

hmmm

Post by SamC »

hi knighton. i have read many of your posts. personally i think you are a trouble maker. :twisted: you keep having a go at leaf and anyone who challenges you opinion. i wonder if it was you who voted no :?: you said you once had 5 dogs and 3 cats or something like that but in another thread you said you lived in a flat. correct me if i am wrong (i am sure you will) but dont you think it is crewel to keep dogs in a flat :?: please stop picking on people :!: i wonder if i will now become a new target of yours :?: leaf made some good points about dog poo and bad dog owners. i wonder if you pee up walls on your way home from the pub :?:
SamC
Knighton

Re: hmmm

Post by Knighton »

SamC wrote:hi knighton. i have read many of your posts. personally i think you are a trouble maker. :twisted: you keep having a go at leaf and anyone who challenges you opinion. i wonder if it was you who voted no :?: you said you once had 5 dogs and 3 cats or something like that but in another thread you said you lived in a flat. correct me if i am wrong (i am sure you will) but dont you think it is crewel to keep dogs in a flat :?: please stop picking on people :!: i wonder if i will now become a new target of yours :?: leaf made some good points about dog poo and bad dog owners. i wonder if you pee up walls on your way home from the pub :?:
SamC
1. At no time have I had a go at leaf or anyone else. I have disagreed with the views expressed by some, but not many. That is debate. It is an essential component of democracy. I do realise that some people object to other people expressing their views. It seems this includes you.

2. I never said I kept 5 dogs and 3 cats.

3. I never said I lived in a flat.

4. Yes you are wrong. Everything you stated is demonstrably wrong.

5. Given that I do not frequent pubs it is hardly likely I should indulge in the behaviour described in your highly offensive remark.

6. I understand the Adult Institutes offer courses in remedial English. I suggest you might consider enrolling. Clearly your comprehension of written English falls well below a standard which would enable you to benefit from participating in intelligent debate.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can I remind everybody that all posts should be respectful of other posters if not their arguements. I shall be specific on the of use of English. Netiquette sees it as bad form to criticise spelling and grammar. If the meaning is unclear, seek clarification. Don't criticise.

The reason for this is that English is not everybody's first language. Others don't see spelling and grammar the same way as we do - and there are many other reasons we may not know about which may embarrass that person. This Forum is here to welcome everybody and I see it as my job to see they are not demeaned in this way.

I hope I will not have to raise this issue again. I'll repeat the first line of the agreement to post which should be in the spirit of every post:

The object of the Town Forum is to be an enjoyable and informative place to discuss Sydenham.

You may also wish to remind yourselves of the difference between 'banter' (good) and 'abuse' (bad) as described earlier.

Admin
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

For the record:

May I point out that I did not criticise SamC's use of English but lack of understanding as indicated in a highly abusive post, which ought to have been removed, in which he misquotes and misrepresents my earlier statements repeatedly throughout the entire post.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If I had removed SamC's post on the grounds of it being abusive then I would have, in fairness had to remove some of yours and others too on the same criteria.

It is easier to see abuse from others rather than oneself. I am continuing to advise you all to get back into trying to make Sydenham (virtual & real) a more enjoyable place. You can be rude to your friends but please be polite to your opponents.

Can we now conclude this thread?

Admin
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

I think not Admin.

At no point have I called people names. At no point have I defamed other posters. At no point have I abused anyone. I stick to the issues.

I suggest you read that post again.

Do, however, copy to me any posts you do take to be abusive. You will be hard pressed to find a single one.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Hey admin, please don't silence Knighton. His/her comments are my only entertainment! I just love Knighton's increasing tone of indignance. It brings to mind the character Ignatious Reilly out of 'A confederacy of Dunces'.
SamC

Post by SamC »

Knighton wrote:
SamC wrote:hi knighton. i have read many of your posts. personally i think you are a trouble maker. :twisted: you keep having a go at leaf and anyone who challenges you opinion. i wonder if it was you who voted no :?: you said you once had 5 dogs and 3 cats or something like that but in another thread you said you lived in a flat. correct me if i am wrong (i am sure you will) but dont you think it is crewel to keep dogs in a flat :?: please stop picking on people :!: i wonder if i will now become a new target of yours :?: leaf made some good points about dog poo and bad dog owners. i wonder if you pee up walls on your way home from the pub :?:
SamC
1. At no time have I had a go at leaf or anyone else. I have disagreed with the views expressed by some, but not many. That is debate. It is an essential component of democracy. I do realise that some people object to other people expressing their views. It seems this includes you.

5. Given that I do not frequent pubs it is hardly likely I should indulge in the behaviour described in your highly offensive remark.

6. I understand the Adult Institutes offer courses in remedial English. I suggest you might consider enrolling. Clearly your comprehension of written English falls well below a standard which would enable you to benefit from participating in intelligent debate.
hi again. i did say 5 dogs and 3 cats or something like that.
what you wrote in "wells park, just to add balance" thread was you have had 6 dogs and 2 cats so sorry for getting the numbers wrong. (but i did say, "or something like that"!
no you never said you lived in a flat, except in "home surveyors" you said you used to own a flat together with the freehold for the whole building!
So knighton, would you say you have NEVER peed up a wall or in a public space other than a public loo. ?
i dont know you so obviously i dont know if you go to a pub or not. i am sorry you were so easily offended by what i said. personally i have always thought of the sticks and stones rhyme...but everyone is unique and you are only human too.
yes my speling isnnt verey goood is it.? i dont hardly ever use capitalsss, i hardlly ever use '(s) but don't judge a book by it's cover. For all you know I could have First class honours at Cambridge in modern languages.
Beiseds wihch evin if i writed lik dis you cand sitll unerdsatnd waht i meen so i cnat see why you nead to mkae scuh a big deel for.
hopefully i won't offend you again.
maybe i should switch on my spellchecker from now on too.
GemStone

Post by GemStone »

SamC wrote:
Knighton wrote:
SamC

hi again. i did say 5 dogs and 3 cats or something like that.
what you wrote in "wells park, just to add balance" thread was you have had 6 dogs and 2 cats so sorry for getting the numbers wrong. (but i did say, "or something like that"!
no you never said you lived in a flat, except in "home surveyors" you said you used to own a flat together with the freehold for the whole building!
So knighton, would you say you have NEVER peed up a wall or in a public space other than a public loo. ?
i dont know you so obviously i dont know if you go to a pub or not. i am sorry you were so easily offended by what i said. personally i have always thought of the sticks and stones rhyme...but everyone is unique and you are only human too.
yes my speling isnnt verey goood is it.? i dont hardly ever use capitalsss, i hardlly ever use '(s) but don't judge a book by it's cover. For all you know I could have First class honours at Cambridge in modern languages.
Beiseds wihch evin if i writed lik dis you cand sitll unerdsatnd waht i meen so i cnat see why you nead to mkae scuh a big deel for.
hopefully i won't offend you again.
maybe i should switch on my spellchecker from now on too.
COME ON GUYS AND GALS. LETS KISS AND MAKE UP. IT IS VERY EASY TO GET HOT UNDER THE COLLAR BUT OFTEN HARDER TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND A DEEP BREATH. LETS NOT TAKE THE EASY OPTION. SYDENHAM TOWN FORUM IS A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT. LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY. COME ON WHAT DO YOU SAY????? :)
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I think Knighton's beef is that he/she never actually criticised SamC's spelling at all. He/she criticised their comprehension of english not their execution of English. Which is a different thing altogether. But I agree-kiss and make-up anyhow.
SamC

Post by SamC »

[/quote]

COME ON GUYS AND GALS. LETS KISS AND MAKE UP. IT IS VERY EASY TO GET HOT UNDER THE COLLAR BUT OFTEN HARDER TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND A DEEP BREATH. LETS NOT TAKE THE EASY OPTION. SYDENHAM TOWN FORUM IS A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT. LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY. COME ON WHAT DO YOU SAY????? :)[/quote]

hi gemstone, knighton & everyone else.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX & 1 for luck X
sorry i offended you knighton. let me offer my hand of friendship. gemstone is right. we dont need to fallout over this. XXXXXXXXXX
gemstone i know i should be the last person to ask, but why do you always use capital letters in your posts? you do know that the use of capitals refers to shouting.??? or is your caps lock button jammed.??? haha. SamanthaXxXxXxXxXxX
Annie

Post by Annie »

:wink:
Ahhhhhhhhh, Bless harmony prevails :lol:
Love to all people :wink:
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

SamC wrote: hi gemstone, knighton & everyone else.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX & 1 for luck X
I thought you said no tongue!
SamC wrote: i did say 5 dogs and 3 cats or something like that.
what you wrote in "wells park, just to add balance" thread was you have had 6 dogs and 2 cats so sorry for getting the numbers wrong.
I never said anything of the sort.