Intellectual Property

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
marymck

Intellectual Property

Post by marymck »

Please can anyone suggest a non-obnoxious form of wording that would enable me to protect my Intellectual Property Rights? I'm about submit with some written work via e-mail - it's not a matter of copyright, it's the IP in the idea.
Rachael

Re: Intellectual Property

Post by Rachael »

It is a matter of copyright - that is exactly how you protect intellectual property, including ideas. Copyrighting something is free.

See here: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy.htm

A quick way to do it is to register a piece of work (including an idea, as long as it is recorded in some way) using Creative Commons: http://creativecommons.org. They provide a logo and blurb that states the work has been registered as your intellectual property and is copyrighted. Again, this is free.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I have copyrighted a treatment, but ideas can't be copyrighted. It's the Intellectual Property in the idea that I want to protect - i.e. anything that develops out from the original idea. I know there is a form of words for this and I want to included them in an e-mail when I send my idea out ... but I just don't know what the correct form of words is and I don't want to use anything that sounds too stiff and might put the other organization off dealing with me.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

All joking aside, Mary, and I'm being serious on this, but it sounds like you're in possession of what could turn-out to be a valuable idea. By all means shoot me down in flames, but judging by your tone on this thread, perhaps it might be a good idea to seek the advice of a solicitor before circulating information that could potentially jeopardise the ownership of your idea.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Thanks for your replies. (And I wouldn't dream of shooting you down in flames btw - I am grateful for your advice x)

I did just check with the UK Copyright Service and I can't copyright my idea. I have in fact already copyrighted a "treatment" of my idea ... but it's the IP in all the future add ons that I'm seeking to protect. So yes I will seek some legal advice about this. Thanks wolf & dunlop.