Server Problem

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
admin
Site Admin

Server Problem

Post by admin »

The STF server got a little congested around 20:00 hours tonight (Tuesday 10th) resulting in 'not enough memory' errors. I rebooted at 20:02 and it came back online at 20:06. Trust this fixes the issue. Apologies for the outage.

Admin
Annie

Post by Annie »

:? Oh i thought it was my computer playing up?
glad its not haha.
but what i have found tonight is that i keep having to "sign on" each time i want to answer a post ,any ideas? :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Annie wrote:i keep having to "sign on" each time i want to answer a post
You not using AOL by any chance?

Admin
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol: How did you guess?
Iv'e got wireless broadband on my laptop which i am using at this moment :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Its a known problem which is particular to AOL users and the weird way AOL connect to the internet. It is a pain and the best solution IMHO is to change ISP!

For the geeks here is a fuller explanation from the phpBB people:

phpBB2 uses sessions to keep track of users as they browse the board. These sessions use a combination of a unique session id and the users IP to identify each user. We make use of the IP as an extra safe-guard to help prevent sessions being hijacked (by discovering the unique session id).

Unfortunately this only works when the users IP is constant as they browse the board. For most users this will be the case. However certain providers route their users via a cluster of proxys. In some cases, particularly AOL this results in different IPs being forwarded as the user moves between pages. We take account of this by not checking the entire IP but only the first "three quads". Again in most cases this will be fine. However again AOL uses IPs which can vary so much that checking only the first two quads results in a fairly static IP being available for session validation.

Admin
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol: Oh, OK! i understand now hee hee :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Annie,

Did you know that Tme Warners sold you to the Carphone Warehouse last night? With a bit of luck they may sort the network ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6039740.stm

Admin
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol: Ohhhh that sounds interesting :lol:
iv'e gone and done something to my cookies now and can't access my other E.mails from this name!
i keep pressing things haha and should learn leave things alone :wink:
pupak

Post by pupak »

Hi Admin
I have the same problem with having to log in every time, but Im not with AOL. I get my internet connection from a small independent ISP. Not sure if it is relevant but I have a mac and my browser is Safari.
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

I get the same problem on XP with Firefox browser (Orange is my ISP), so I think it's quite common.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you saying you have to login each time you visit STF or that you have to login several times on the same visit like Annie?

Admin
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

Just have to login every time I visit - or if I navigate away from the page in the same browser session - i.e.
Log me on automatically each visit:

function doesn't appear to work at all, but that's the same with other forums I visit.

Rob.