Threads wandering off-topic

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Checkmate

Threads wandering off-topic

Post by Checkmate »

Is there a policy, guideline, or point of view regarding threads going off-topic?

Everything drifts from time to time, but 190-odd posts in response to my query about KFC with the number of posts that answer my query scarcely into double figures is a little too far off topic, no?
Herbertgal

Re: Threads wandering off-topic

Post by Herbertgal »

I don't think there is - I think that there are people who check the forum from time to time to check that everything's under control, but I believe that this is only for rude messages posted on the forum. Hope this helped! :D
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Cheese on toast or marmite ?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
michael

Post by michael »

Dorian, what a choice. Can I have the cheese on marmite option. Although surely it should be the other way round. No?
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Quite like a meandering topic - but then again my undercrackers drawers aren't in perfect order and I have little flocks of dust-bunnies building up here and there in my abode.

(cheese AND beans AND marmite on toast please - just to keep it on topic!)
Last edited by Voyageur on 17 May 2012 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I saw an hilarious picture of a cat with a funny caption on the interwebs the other day but I can't find it now. Anyone help?
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Good luck, Admin...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No baked bean option?

Ahem - threads should have a life of their own and drift is usually good though irritating to an OP who just wanted an answer. The only time I interfere is when the drift is two different directions and just gets confusing. Splitting it into two or more threads can, but not always, be an improvement.

Who stole the cup?

Admin
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

I would have thought that if it drifted to the extent that the vast majority of the content didn't relate to the post's title, it mgiht require tinkering wtih or splitting (or even simply renaming) purely on the grounds that a newcomer to the thread would find very little relevant to the title contained within it.

Still, I will bow to the will of the boss man!
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Dorian wrote:Cheese on toast or marmite ?
Cheese. With ketchup or bbq sauce on the bread BEFORE the cheese, so it all melts around the sauce.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

A whole new thread perhaps :D
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Dolphins are very intelligent.

You never see a dolphin reading the Daily Mail
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Manwithaview1 wrote:You never see a dolphin reading the Daily Mail
Or indeed any other rag, or in fact posting on web forums..............
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Manwithaview1 wrote:Dolphins are very intelligent.

You never see a dolphin reading the Daily Mail
Nevertheless banned on STF. One must take a firm line with bestiality posing as grauniad post modern intellectualism.

Checkmates suggestion of retitling may be helpful. The original title belongs to the OP so I am wary of editing it - and after 36 pages has a life of its own despite its relevancy. I could rename it but are not the latest posts on obesity directly related?.

I'm open to suggestions/opinions.

Admin
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

admin wrote:36 pages has a life of its own despite its relevancy
And that is why, IMHO, it should be left alone to see it course
michael

Post by michael »

admin wrote:
Nevertheless [Dolphins are] banned on STF. One must take a firm line with bestiality posing as grauniad post modern intellectualism.
I'm shocked that Admin should prevent dolphins from posting on this forum. I thought this was a forum where locals could exchange views in an open and honest way. Now it appears that certain species are banned from contributing.
It is not just me that is shocked, I explained the situation to my friend as he sat on a large iceberg in Horniman Museum, and you should have seen his face. Walruses (and I know I'm generalising a bit here) don't like it when you single out dolphins in this way. I suggest you reconsider your attitude to dolphins and treat them fairly the next time one wishes to contribute to this forum, otherwise be prepared for some hard stares next time you choose to visit the natural history section of Horniman Museum.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do I need to remind you Michael that your friend was not local but an inhabitant of SE23. Not that I would automatically freeze anyone out from beyond Dartmouth Road but it is this Delphinidic attitude to the Daily Mail plus their outrageous pandering to the human 'cute' gene manipulating humans as providers of free food, accommodation and entertainment at the Horniman or Sea World. They eat while the poor Nephropidae are eaten.

Totally unacceptable specism.

But rest assured Michael your Walrus friend (as long as he can hum that tune) is always welcome here.

Admin
michael

Post by michael »

admin wrote:providers of free food...
I think you'll find that many of the animals in Horniman feel rather stitched up by local people and their 'stuff em' attitude to taxidermy.
I always thought Sydenham was proud of its Dolphin and the rather nice garden out the back.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

admin wrote:Do I need to remind you Michael that your friend was not local but an inhabitant of SE23. Not that I would automatically freeze anyone out from beyond Dartmouth Road but it is this Delphinidic attitude to the Daily Mail plus their outrageous pandering to the human 'cute' gene manipulating humans as providers of free food, accommodation and entertainment at the Horniman or Sea World. They eat while the poor Nephropidae are eaten.

Totally unacceptable specism.

But rest assured Michael your Walrus friend (as long as he can hum that tune) is always welcome here.

Admin
And have you seen the size of Michael's alien friend? Probably been eating too much at KFC rather than any passing Nephropidae.
michael

Post by michael »

I don't really like the way you talk about my friend. He's a little on the large size, but that really isn't his fault. I'm not aware of him ever having eaten at KFC, if you have evidence to the contrary fine, but I think this is another one of your clams [sic] that have no substance.