Dolphin Block.

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Eagle

Dolphin Block.

Post by Eagle »

Dear Admin
Whilst I understand a certain gentleman was being abusive to Mary and my self , I am surprised there is no explanation as to why is has been locked.

Always sad when abuse flows and even asked the gentleman what had upset him and he could not give an answer. Certainly no excuse for having a go at Mary.

I appreciate you have a difficult job.
Annie.

Re: Dolphin Block.

Post by Annie. »

Some people can't take the fact others have a different opinion Eagle, I shouldn't worry too much. However I do think an apology is due to both yourself and Mary.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Anne
I am not upset. Do feel that Mary is owed an apology.

Good to hear from you.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm sure Admin had his reasons (perhaps someone made a proper complaint).

I happened to agree broadly with fishcox's OP, but getting personal instantly means you lose the argument, so it's self-defeating, really, as well as being, well, rude. To your credit, Eagle, you always take it on the chin.
michael

Post by michael »

fishcox wrote:Great thread for those looking to move to Sydenham, and find out what the place is really like.
Fortunately most of those disagreeing with you don't actually live in Sydenham (but then nor do I).
Eagle wrote:Do feel that Mary is owed an apology.
I agree with Eagle (second time this month I've had to say that).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did not publish a reason for the block because I thought it was so obvious and that to spell it out and seek to apportion blame would be unhelpful. But as you ask ...

The reason was the thread was speedily spiralling downwards. I leave it to you to judge whether I did it too soon or too late. But I think everyone will agree that it was heading for forum hell with everyone collecting chips that would not be good for future community discussion.

It was also a classic example of how one rather nasty posting ignites wrath which spins round and was fast engulfing everyone but that poster. As for apologies - IMHO they should be given not demanded. In this case I thought it best to kill the thread so everyone could move on.

Can I ask you all please to consider doing just that. Autopsies are for dead bodies. We really don't need those here.

Admin
marymck

Post by marymck »

Thank you Admin for curtailing the thread. I think you were absolutely right to do so and in what you now say. I hope we can all just put it behind us and move on.

SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

I think lee owes me an apology for ignoring my sarcasm.

I apologise to anyone with osteoporosis for my use of the word "crumblies".

Not sure what to say about arse pinching...

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Admin

You were right to shut down.

My only concern was what caused such abuse , when those views differed to his view were very polite. Such is life. Even accusations of racism were made .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Eagle - I will share my thoughts on racism and misogyny when I have a break sometime this week. I hope it might start a debate which may help us all to understand where we are coming from on these sensitive subjects. Hopefully to explore them thoughtfully rather than causing us to bristle at their very mention.

Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Admin

You probably are , but worth a go.

I do not believe I have ever been racist on this Forum and certainly do not believe one is racist. Accusations can easily be made , but not backed up.
I am against racism and always have been.
I was hoping fishcake explained.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I closed the thread because I wanted to close that discussion. Its my judgement that pursuing it was going to be no good to anyone. So can we leave it there please?

But, as I said, how I have to deal with racism or allegations of racism is both important and difficult. It would help if we tried to understand what all of us mean by it before responding. I will try and put up an Aunt Sally later this week which you can all comment.

Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I still have not recd an apology from fishcake when he personally attacked me and accused me of racism. Very sad.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Let bygones be bygones, life is too short to hold grudges.

In the big scheme of the world he may be was having a bit of a bad day, you never know what people are going through in real life.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

True Mike

It is forgotten already.

You should be Archbishop of Canterbury
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:
You should be Archbishop of Canterbury
HAHAHA!

I didn't think they accepted council estate people to work in the Church? As far as I understand it you have to have had a special upbringing, have held powerful positions within business and be a bit of a psycho.