New Forum

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
admin
Site Admin

New Forum

Post by admin »

STF is proud to announce the first community forum devoted to benefit abuse, the work shy, immigration and related issues. Yes, you can now find this all in one place leaving the Town Pub free for more wide ranging discussion and abuse at no extra charge.

The moderators will operate a strict border control policy. Anybody found smuggling Benefit & Citizenship material into our native forums will be forever incarcerated in the Benefit Office for a period not less than their natural life.

Logged in users can enjoy http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=23 :)

Admin
marymck

town benefit office

Post by marymck »

What is the Town Benefit Office and why can't I read the posts?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Robin Orton

Re: town benefit office

Post by Robin Orton »

Some clever person's jolly jape, I suspect. And what does 'community decisive' mean?
marymck

Post by marymck »

Well you can see more of it than I can, Robin. I just get a message saying I don't have the permissions to read the topics.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I can't access it either. I was quoting from the title on the board index:
Town Benefit Office: Forum devoted to the misuse of the benefit system, work shy and citizenship without being community decisive
marymck

Post by marymck »

Thanks for explaining, Robin. I don't get that on my mobile.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think Admin may have put some of Eagle's topics in quarantine. I must have missed something last night because the latest discussions on benefits / immigration / voting were relatively polite when I last looked. A bit Groundhog Day, but no flame wars.

I wonder if 'decisive' is a typo and should be 'devisive'.

Edit - seems I cross-posted with Admin in the Pub.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bear with me and I will sort out permissions. Meanwhile I will move this and merge it with the Town Asylum topic

Admin
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Rachael wrote: I wonder if 'decisive' is a typo and should be 'devisive'.
'Divisive', surely?

I wish the new forum well. I did wonder however how including immigration as well as benefits would work. They really raise quite different kinds of issues, even though, as we are constantly being reminded by some of our friends, there is an obvious area of overlap. 'Town benefit and passport office'?
Rachael

Re: New Forum

Post by Rachael »

Yes, spelling fail on my part.

Can we add threads about wasting tax payers' money on investigating historic cases of sexual crimes?
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Rachael wrote:Yes, spelling fail on my part.

Can we add threads about wasting tax payers' money on investigating historic cases of sexual crimes?
Do we have to?

I think the mighty Admin is probably the greatest diplomat in the history of online communities and I raise a glass in his honor.

To Admin.

Admittedly I'm bias but then I would be wouldn't I :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mike, biased , you shock me. I always thought you did not speak with forked tongue .

Not quite sure what we can discuss on the main site ??? Interesting.

Cannot discuss
Housing
Benefits
NHS
Crowded schools
Voting and Politics
Rental market
Any matter relating to Overseas.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote: Not quite sure what we can discuss on the main site ??? Interesting.

Cannot discuss
Housing
Benefits
NHS
Crowded schools
Voting and Politics
Rental market
That's you and me out of the equation then! :?

Of course you could always become a keen cyclist Eagle! :D
michael

Post by michael »

Eagle wrote: Not quite sure what we can discuss on the main site ??? Interesting.

Cannot discuss
Housing
Benefits
NHS
Crowded schools
Voting and Politics
Rental market
So what's the problem? You have a dedicated space to talk about these issues without hijacking every thread about these subjects. Not everybody posting about local primary schools wants a debate about immigration, nor does everybody looking for advice about property want to hear about benefits fraud. And there is plenty of space for political discussion without turning everything to immigration.

I don't think that separating these threads from all others is strictly necessary, but perhaps it will prevent so many of the normal threads from being hijacked by certain people with a very narrow perspective on the world. Immigration and benefits fraud are important issues and Admin is not preventing discussion on these issues, just separating them from other discussion. Perhaps there will come a time when these issues are not hijacking every other thread.

For those people who disagree with the rules, I suggest you do exactly what people have done with other online forums, and stop contributing. There are plenty of other local forums where administrators may have other policies towards hijacking of threads. There is also twitter where you can rant at the world without anybody paying much attention until you threaten to kill somebody.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Wrong again Michael.

Primary Schools.
Main subject overcrowding. Need I go any further.

Property
Main subject lack of. Again need I go further. One could consult The Sage of Silverdale and expert on this subject.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think the best thing the forum users can do to keep threads on track is to ignore posts that take it in a different direction if those interjections are unhelpful. Likewise, if postings in the Pub are getting repetitive, let the thread die. Leopards won't change their spots, especially when they can't see what's wrong with their spots in the first place.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Perhaps simply ignoring Eagle would be the best solution? I've been doing so since Friday afternoon and I'm finding it most relaxing.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

HB

Could never ignore your intellect HB.

You are a breath of sunshine on this Forum.

You cycle nearly as much as Mr Abbot and Boris J.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:HB

Could never ignore your intellect HB.

You are a breath of sunshine on this Forum.

You cycle nearly as much as Mr Abbot and Boris J.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
michael

Post by michael »

Eagle wrote:Wrong again Michael.

Primary Schools.
Main subject overcrowding. Need I go any further.

Property
Main subject lack of.
Actually if you look further you will see that the main subject of primary schools is quality of education. Not that overcrowding (or actually small catchment areas) is not an issue, but it is secondary to quality.
Property is a similar issue. Most people coming to the forum are actually interested in discussing houses for sale in the area, and occasionally wishing to discuss planning applications in their proximity. There are only a small number of individuals who wish to discuss national policies relating to housing on a regular basis or a single issue that some believe has led to the housing shortage/cost of houses.

This is why I used these two subjects as examples of where the those fixated on immigration cannot allow a discussion to take place without interjecting. I'm so glad you were willing to prove my point!
HB wrote:Perhaps simply ignoring Eagle would be the best solution?
I would prefer to have sensible discussions with Eagle on a variety of topics, but I simply can't when every discussion inevitably ends up heading in the same direction. Admin has presented a solution that has some merit, so I'm hoping that Eagle will understand and accept this solution.

I have no more to say on the issue.