Butt.....

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SepticSkeptic

Butt.....

Post by SepticSkeptic »

I think credit is due to the Pavilion for providing a bin/bucket for their patrons' cig butts. Very rare to see a stray butt.

Some other establishments should take note (Inkwa, yes especially you).
Eagle

Re: Butt.....

Post by Eagle »

I have never seen anyone fined or prosecuted for throwing in the gutter or pavement the remains of their cancer sticks.?

Does this ever occur ?
daliftkid

Post by daliftkid »

@septicskeptic and eagle once again i openly invite you to come down to the shop and speak to me in person over your "concerns".

Sitting on your computer and being an internet revolutionary isnt going to make the slightest ounce of difference but i guess thats the only way you know how to confront your issues

If you really want to know why sydenham will ALWAYS progress slower than its neighbouring towns just take a look in the mirror, trying your best at every chance to shoot down 'selected' (and lets be honest you guys select the businesses you want to shoot down by your little criteria)new business try showing your support, but thats too easy

I'll leave on this note please don't mention my business anymore on this forum
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think we are mixing our posts . Was going to I agree regarding the ciggy bucket outside the Pavilion . It seems responsible and if people use that good.
I nearly got fined for throwing a cigarette butt in Westminster - the chap was very polite and seeing I was an agreeable cove who apologised he let me off with a warning .
Regarding the cigarette ends outside the tattoo shop - I don't go past it but isn't that how our forum works e.g people say nice things about things they like and negative things about things they don't like ?
A very good evening
Nigel
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

[quote="daliftkid"]@septicskeptic and eagle once again i openly invite you to come down to the shop and speak to me in person over your "concerns".

I find this quite funny, here you have an open invitation from a local (albeit slightly peeved) business owner to 2 of Sydenhams concerned citizens to pop in & have a chat,build bridges meet up etc and it's greeted with....silence. :roll:
Pally

Post by Pally »

Well yes it is a pity that invitation has not been taken up
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

I agree that's its easy to sit behind a screen and type away.

However, isn't that one of the benefits of this Forum - that those sometimes not brave enough to say what they think can vent their opinions here without fear or retribution?

Not saying those involved wouldn't be happy to engage in direct dialogue, and in some cases it could be positive, but the security of the forum, and it's benefit of anonymity, surely adds to the depth of discussions?

If every opinion or observation was challenged with the prospect of a face to face meet up, I fear we would lose much of what makes this forum what it is.
Pally

Post by Pally »

To some extent I agree with you, but the opportunity to discuss with a business how to improve things for customers, seems shame to pass up
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Have to agree about the cigarette butts outside the tattoo shop. My son was quite interested by what goes on in the shop so we used to have a look as we walked past. We've also noticed on several occasions staff smoking outside the door and the butts just flicked carelessly onto the pavement. So had to explain that to him too.

And no I don't wish to pop into the shop to discuss this. Please just stop doing it.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Maybe just do what the Pavilion does which was the start of this thread! :?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Suzee
Very well put - the come and discuss options offer is fine if one were saying why doesnt a shop sell more of this or that but this post was a desistance type thing .
The original post complimented the Pavillion on its responsible approach and recommended the tattoo shop follow suit. The response was ,as someone said , peevish and used the imperative which is rarely a good overture to dialogue.
A very good evening
Nigel
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

Sorry if Inkwa feel targeted.
Should have extended my examples to the ladies often standing under Golden City entrance in morning, and several drivers every week flicking butts from standstill traffic on Westwood Hill.

My social anxieties prevent visiting for real world discussion. It would soon descend into embarrassing apologies and me leaving with a tatoo of "Sorry and thank you for smoking".
missT

Post by missT »

Suzee wrote:Have to agree about the cigarette butts outside the tattoo shop. My son was quite interested by what goes on in the shop so we used to have a look as we walked past. We've also noticed on several occasions staff smoking outside the door and the butts just flicked carelessly onto the pavement. So had to explain that to him too.

And no I don't wish to pop into the shop to discuss this. Please just stop doing it.

I didn't know smoking is not allowed in this country?
daliftkid

Post by daliftkid »

@nigel thank you for your comment while you may have thought the post had a desistant nature it was only one of provokation, no other businesses were mentioned and there are plenty with cigarette butts outside but we'll pretend that went unnoticed shall we.

The forum has its perks but what did people do before the days of online forums and quick access smart phones....they communicated with one another, now we have people who see something they don't like in their community whether they're walking with their son or they're "facing their social anxieties" and they scurry home to their computers or reach into their pockets for their smartphones and they type, they type their angers and "fears" for the community they let it all out and the end result is.........nothing.

The purpose of the forum is to say as you feel but also to make sydenham look at least half decent to those outside looking in and all it looks like is a stream of negativity

@suzee your son is welcome to come in but quite honestly you'll have to stay outside with the cigarette butts and hope they dont eat you :lol:

@septicskeptic im guessing your "social anxiety" is clearly affecting your social interaction skills because an apology with a sarcastic remark at the end is a tainted apology, its not cute or funny, good luck with those anxiety attacks
mosy

Post by mosy »

It's noticeable that even when someone is standing next to a litter bin they'll still drop chewing gum and butts regardless. I tackled someone once and received the reply that their council tax included street cleaning :roll: Litter bins themselves are not cig-friendly as they don't have a stuffing-out plate like hospital grounds used to have for example. Has anyone asked the council whether they have any suggestions as it must be a universal problem?

I suppose a notice asking that litter including cig ends be disposed of thoughtfully might help though it'd probably be preaching to the converted and ignored by typical offenders.

Constructively, shops/cafes/pubs (whose fault it is not IMO) could provide disposable ashtrays (I'm thinking tin-foil cake cases) to "please take one if smoking outside". Q: Would that just lead to tinfoil litter? Hmm.
Pally

Post by Pally »

So its not smoking that is the issue but a societal attitude to litter! Look at the mess the hard working street cleaners are on to every morning!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Pally wrote:So its not smoking that is the issue but a societal attitude to litter! Look at the mess the hard working street cleaners are on to every morning!
[my bold]
It's exactly that. Cig ends, sweet wrappers, cans/bottles, newspapers, dead umbrellas etc don't exactly drop themselves. It's sheer laziness that some people can't be bothered to walk even five feet to the nearest bin and there's sure as heck no chance of getting such people to take their litter home with them ;)

Or do you mean that smoking should be outlawed entirely? Presumably along with the other litter items I mention? Can't see that happening any time soon. Neither can I see (or hope I can't) a zillion monitored cameras with robocop swot teams ready to pounce...
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Litter shows people don't give a damn about the area.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree 100%. People who just chuck litter should be strongly reprimanded. They are a disgrace.

Another problem is the dog owners who do not clear up after Fido.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yes, but what do you do about it? As I said, I've tackled one or two about it. Another reply is: "If you're so worried about it, you pick it up."