Pub?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
sparticus

Pub?

Post by sparticus »

Over the last week or so the moderator in the Pub has closed two threads. The first was a undoubtably polarised thread about the Gaza conflict wherein some trenchant views were expressed, including, if I remember correctly, a contribution from the moderator. When a couple of posters expressed strong pro-Palestinian views, the thread was pulled. More recently, a rather innocuous posting by Eagle, based on an old story about Gardeners' Question Time, led to him being accused of trolling and again the thread was pulled. Now, the Gaza thread was controversial, some strong views were expressed, and it would no doubt have provoked further strong comment. Eagle's GQT thread was silly, and intended to provoke a discussion about one of his reactionary hobby horses. But, it's supposed to be a bloody pub isn't it? Admins behaviour suggests that he or she would rather be running some sort of milk bar than a pub where sometimes strong views are expressed and debated. Neither of the threads referred to contained egregious personal insults or threats. I can't see how either thread violated "pub rules". Not the sort of pub that appeals to me. Rubbish beer too.
Conker

Re: Pub?

Post by Conker »

well, he pulled one of my posts as getting a bit too near the mark [his mark] and moved another.

I can live with that as I don't want to cause upset.
However , "pro-palestinian" views tend to get viewed as anti Semitic by some people; likewise any mention of Zionism in a critical context brings the anti facist rent a mob out the wood work screaming 'facist bigot'.
Those types are the very one who are stifling free speech and debate on subjects they don't want discussed, while yelling for freedom to spout their own brands of bigotry.

Its admins site so we'll have to put up with it.

-------
Admin: Stuff removed that is not in line with Forum guidelines
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I think Admin does his "job" admirably.
Conker wrote:brings the anti facist rent a mob out the wood work
Are you suggesting you would prefer to be part of the pro-fascist group?
Conker

Post by Conker »

Indeed that is a question.

There is no doubt I would rather be in one camp than the other one.

as to which its for you to ponder, invariably when I am in a heated debate with a 'pro-facist' I am often accused of being a PC lefty whereas the PC lefty are convinced I am a raving nazi. :shock: :shock:

perhaps I am just confused? :lol: :oops:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As a matter of record I did not pull the GQT thread. It is still here but locked for the reasons given:
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11694

I did and will pull stuff on the Israeli/Gaza conflict. I will also pull stuff that relates to that too closely (in my opinion). I sense from the comments above that some perceive I have an anti-Palestinian agenda. I have also been accused of an anti-Israeli agenda. While to some that may suggest some balance it is precisely why the subject is off limits. Inevitably any debate here will get so heated that it will be modded. The mod (depending on the post removed) will be assumed by protagonists to represent a partisan view. A view that is at least 50% and, I hope, 100% wrong.

IMHO this does not make this Community Forum a proper place for this debate. There are other Forums you can use that are dedicated to the discussion of this area and where a more informative outcome may be possible.

Those that know me are aware of my hatred of censorship - and hence the self inflicted pain of my decision to do just that.

Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have to agree it is the admin's site , so guess he can do what he likes and up to us whether we carry on posting.

Find it strange the question about GQT banned as it was in all the papers that day .

Re Gaza , I can more understand , however as Sparticus says as long as conducted politely and without abuse a discussion could be a good thing.

-------
Pally

Post by Pally »

-------
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry to have to remove stuff but I did say Israel/Gaza was off limits and sneaking stuff back in via the Asylum provoking further comment is not on.

Town Pub was created to provide a place for regular members to continue discussion on areas outside Sydenham or to have more robust debates with each other - provided the robustness was acceptable to the other parties. We went well beyond that.

As a moderator I find the tail wagging the dog. This is, and I hope it remains, primarily a forum about Sydenham. Anything that compromises that will go. Hence I am putting Town Pub & TBO on notice. Be good for Sydenham or be gone.

Milk Bar? Yep healthier than beer ...

Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hold on Admin. I fully appreciate you can remove what you like , and indeed you do.

What you have removed was not about The State of Israel or Terrorists in Gaza.
It was about a radio 4 article about people in UK feeling concerned and worried. Infact one of the most disturbing items I have heard recently.

Anyway who actually objects to discussions about Gaza ????
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Eagle wrote:Anyway who actually objects to discussions about Gaza ????
I do. It's impossible to have a reasonable debate on the issue. It's almost as bad as the cycling debates.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes , but they have not barred cycling.

Why exactly are you objecting. Fully appreciate you are fully permitted so to do but would be interested why ?
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Because:
hairybuddha wrote: It's impossible to have a reasonable debate on the issue.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Fair comment HB

Although the same could be said of any other topic on the Forum.....
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I disagree
Conker

Post by Conker »

As debating Gaza in the SE26 forum can have nothing but zero effect on the actual problem a lot of opinionated windbags with the answers to everything may just as well argue amongst themselves?

Of course as an opinionated windbag with the answers to everything, I may be wrong :lol:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Conker
You have mentioned the dreaded word. Unless you are refering to the Aldous Huxley book , or the crying and overweight footballer with friend called five bellies.
Conker

Post by Conker »

here is a spare Z

use it wherever you wish :lol:

funnily enough my copy editor wife is about to edit a book about old extra z five bellies.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

The pub landlord says-
Milk Bar? Yep healthier than beer ...
Yep, well, says it all really. I'm off, I'll get my coat.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well if you are detrmined to destroy your liver you might as well do it in style and good company.
Can't tempt you with these being readied for transfer back to SE26?
(Photographed yesterday at my holiday location):

But if you still maintain that Ghost Ship is rubbish then you should really stick to milk :(
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Adnam's a wonderful brewery and Southwold great place , but cans !!!!!!!!!!