Beechgrove,Sydenham Hill on film!

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Michael Viner

Beechgrove,Sydenham Hill on film!

Post by Michael Viner »

While watching the old early 70's TV crime series New Scotland Yard on DVD recently(New Scotland Yard-The Complete Series 3,available on Network DVD) I was pleasantly surprised to see Dulwich Park featured as a location in one story(Diamonds Are Never Forever) and truly amazed,when a few episodes later I saw the fine& historic(it was the home of Lionel Logue,speech therapist for King George VI),long demolished Sydenham Hill house 'Beechgrove' used as a brief location in another episode,the one called 'Daisy Chain',filmed in January 1973,possibly on the same day as the location filming in Dulwich.We see the rear,or garden front, of the house-and fine it looks too.
Click on link below to view...

https://flic.kr/p/nAB5ts
Michael Viner

Re: Beechgrove,Sydenham Hill on film!

Post by Michael Viner »

I forgot to add that there is a typically good history of c.1862- built Beechgrove by Steve Grindlay on his Sydenham and Forest Hill History blogspot-just google 'Beechgrove Sydenham Hill'.
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Here are a couple of photos of Beechgrove. Firstly a c1905 photo and then an early 70's colour photo taken around the time of the New Scotland Yard filming (courtesy of the Dulwich Society magazine) You'll notice the ramp for wheelchairs that was added in the 1950's when it was the Red Cross Home For The Aged Sick.

ImageBeechgrove by Michael Viner, on Flickr
ImageBeechgrove (Colour) by Michael Viner, on Flickr
Pally

Post by Pally »

This is really interesting.Thankyou