FARMERS MARKET

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GLOBAL THINKER

FARMERS MARKET

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

What about setting up a farmers market in Sydenham. There seems to be a market for fresh organic produce. Any news/views??
Saina

Farmers Market

Post by Saina »

Finding an appropriate venue could be a problem. There was a farmers market in the car park at forest hill pools for a while but as there is nowhere to park near here using it effectively was not easy. And a monthly farmers market never made it past the first one in Wells Park last year. So in favour generally but not as simple as it may seem...
stuart

Post by stuart »

Re venue. The obvious place is the Greyhound Car Park.

However the attempts at a French Market were not very successful and the boot sale last week was not well attended either.

We used to sell Traidcraft stuff (as did White's Pet Shop) and Somerfield's have made a good stab at providing organic stuff. Organic fruit is often available at heavily discounted prices suggesting it is not flying off the shelves.

Hmmm... this is a difficult one. I think to be successful it would have to appeal to a much wider market than Sydenham but I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

One thought is that our Town Centre Manager is also TC manager of about 5 other South Lewisham centres. Now if the borough could sponsor a market that went once a month to 4/5 centres that would give the sellers a venue each week. There could be some decent marketing push to support it and everybody in South Lewisham would have a Farmer's Market nearby once a month and not too far away every week.

Watchafink?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Stuart, you are right, the best place would be the Greyhound car park, but I think it would take a great deal of persistence to make something work there.

It pains me to say it, but you cant really compete against the likes of Borough Market, especially when it has so much to offer, and is only 10 mins away by train.

Having said that, Borough Market has become such a cliche. It was only about 5 years ago when you could wander freely amongst the 10 or so stalls, get waht youwant, and come home. Now, it is such a struggle to get anything without having to queue for a couple of hours, and it aint as cheap as it was. It has become a victim of its own success.

I dont think Sydenham, at the moment, really has the requisite number of like minded people to make such a venture a success.

As an aside, I went for a pint in the Greyhound last night. Now if someone could breed a vegetable with a Burberry check, wearing a pair of white trainers and a baseball cap - they could sell them by the barrowload.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

When the Sydenham Gate proposals are implemented (fingers crossed) Venner Road would be closed to traffic from Sydenham Road thus creating a public open space.

Where better to have a Farmer's Market?
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Oh, I don't know - the Ocado van seems like a permanent fixture on the roads around Sydenham, and I know an awful lot of young professionals and media types who have been pushed down to Sydenham/Forest Hill/Penge by the cost of housing. I think the market is growing, but I'm not sure any retailers have cottoned on yet.

When was the French market tried? I'm a regular at Borough Market, but I'm tired of fighting my way through the crowds and have resorted to mail order (which has its own drawbacks).
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Venner's Road sounds like the perfect spot if Sydenham Gateway is agreed.

I would love to see the return, I am new to the area and would certainly bring my business to it.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I second any vote for a return of a farmer's market. I did visit and purchase a great deal fomr the farmers market which made a brief appearance in Wells Park last year. I am a regular at the one in Blackheath Station car park (a little bit eugh as a venue - the car park of course and not Blackheath) so would welcome a monthly organic farmers market anywhere in Sydenham.
Growernye

Farmers Market

Post by Growernye »

I have an allotment in Beckenham and grow all my own vegetables. No need for a Farmers Market or Supermarket just really fresh organic produce which tastes better than anything you can buy. Fresh air, exercise, good friends, and all for less than a fiver a week, come and join us. :D