Beware of recommendations on internet forums

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
user100

Beware of recommendations on internet forums

Post by user100 »

(Hmmm, probably a bit of a contradiction there but anyway.......)

Just noticed some recommendations for everything from plasterers to car leasing on here lately.

While they may be genuine enough, they can just as easly be posted by the person who is being recommended which is a bit naughty.

I would be particularly dubious about comments left by someone who is leaving their first post.

Even more so when there are couple of new posters who have the same text in their recommendation - spookily uncanny or what :shock:

Much better to take a recommendation from someone who has a bit of past form on the forum - at least then you can look at their old posts and see what kind of poster they are.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well spotted User100. The car leasing posts were a scam from India. The company was frontierleasing.co.uk who, if party to this, would be a company to avoid. I have removed their posts.

Yes, it is easy to abuse free advertising/recommendation. Except it can be counterproductive when you are found out. So proprietors who try and glorify their shop/service will have a hard time if they fail to live up to their words!

I have no reason to think the plastering posts are suspect. But please don't hesitate to PM about anything you suspect may be not what it appears.

Admin
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

The Woodman Kirkdale is a good example of first time posters!
mdr

Post by mdr »

Eagle,
Having looked at the Woodman thread to which you refer, it seems there are 3 first time posters there. As one of these posters i can assure you i have no affiliation with the pub, i simply enjoyed it when i visited and felt that i should come out of lurking on STF to recommend it.
:)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

"The Eagle" wouldn't happen to be the name of a rival pub, is it?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We met Brian the plasterer this morning and he was very thourough, he had a good look at the work to be done, told us what it would entail, how much it would cost and we've booked him for late March. He is very passionate about his work , in his words 'its his life', he had an impressive protfilio of work.
I'll keep you posted.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

lambchops wrote:"The Eagle" wouldn't happen to be the name of a rival pub, is it?
How did you guess .....if you pop along today everyone can have eight free drinks and free food!

I think I know who will be there first :lol:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

would you recommend it, though? heheh!!
DanW

Post by DanW »

The Eagle wrote:The Woodman Kirkdale is a good example of first time posters!
I'm another one of your suspicious 3 first time posters for The Woodman and I also have nothing to do with them, but commented as I'd been in there a couple of times. Blimey, it's like trying to bid on eBay without any feedback!! I've browsed the Sydenham site for ages and decided to set a user id up more recently. This was the first thread I had an opinion to contribute that I thought might be of use to others.
But while I'm here, if you would like general building services or to indeed hire my car at a competitive rate, please call 0208 29..... :wink: