Train services from Lower Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Richie

Train services from Lower Sydenham

Post by Richie »

It might be my imagination but since Southern revised their timetable this week my 8.32am morning service into Charing Cross from Lower Sydenham station has suddenly become extremely crowded. Previously it was common for me to get a seat, but now not only has the number of passengers increased, the model of train has changed and there appear to be less physical seats in the carriages. I was wondering if anyone else on earlier or later services had noticed a similar increase in passengers? I use Lower Sydenham station precisely because the journey is so much more pleasant, or I should say was so much more pleasant. I knew it couldn't last.

On a positive note I notice that there are now Metros available at the station.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

have you found this to still be the same Richie or was it a blip?
davegr

Post by davegr »

The Sydenham Hill trains had the timetable changed before Xmas and I found exactly the same thing. You could almost always get a seat before Christmas but since then it's been packed. Some people by Herne Hill not even getting on. The ticket office reckoned they had reduced the number of carriages.
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

Lower Sydenham train services are diabolical. There's no other word for it. A few weeks back I used the service to commute to Cannon Street, that was sheet hell just trying to get on the train. It felt like being crammed into an air tight container, nowhere to move.

People couldn't board at Catford Bridge or Ladywell. They need to run the services more frequently. It doesn't get much better boarding from Cannon Street or Charing Cross, the train is packed from there too :shock: Why can't southeastern see that they need to run trains at least 10 minutes because the sheer demand for this service clearly outweighs the supply.

Also, is it me or are the seats just too narrow? Southeastern trains seem to be made for size zero people. The seat pitch is too narrow and your knees seem to be touching the person adjacent to you if you're infact lucky enough to get a seat :roll:

Surprisingly, Southeastern and Southern services are run by the same company, but the service on Southern seems to be alot better from Sydenham than Lower Sydenham and seat pitch is alot better.

And where's the ticket office at Lower Sydenham? It all has an eerie feel about it.

Also Lower Sydenham - zone 4, Sydenham - zone 3, Sydenham Hill - zone 3. What a damn rip-off!

Rant over!
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Roudasapound,
This surprises me as this is completely opposite to my experience of Lower Sydenham. I use it very frequently in the mornings (Charing Cross services) and always get a seat. There are usually plenty of seats left for people at Catford Bridge too. I find it positively relaxing. Granted, the through trains to Charing Cross are not so freqent but they're every 20 mins in the rush hour, not every half an hour. Plus there are the other trains that go to Canon Street which stop at London Bridge as well, so not so bad really.

Maybe you just had a off day!

Liz
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

Maybe you're right, I did it for about 3 days from Lower Sydenham, then couldn't take it anymore so ended up goint to Bellingham and getting the train to Blackfriars.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

The whole thing with the Sydenham Hill service is madness. There are almost as many trains at midday as peak. The difference is the peak ones service two stations, Blackfriars and Victoria, so if you want to go to Vic you're not actually better off travelling at peak than off peak with the day trippers. It's even worse coming home. The 18.21 from Victoria is absolute carnage as the previous train leaves about 25 minutes earlier. The timetable is designed to get cash off day trippers at the expense of those of us who've already paid up for annuals/monthlies, etc.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

By the way I've just posted a message on a thread about Sydenham Hill services regarding the 18:21 service
Richie

Post by Richie »

I tried the Lower Sydedham service again last week and it did seem less busy than on previous occasions. I think one of the problems is that the new trains being used don't have as many seats as before, meaing unless you are lucky you often have to stand. Not that its too much of a bother as there is never a crush like you experience from Sydenham or Sydenham hill.
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

I'm going to be trying out Lower Sydenham again as new work location. I really hope it's less busy and I can get a seat on the 07:40 train.

I have to disagree about Sydenham, 99% of the time I get a seat. It's just about knowing what carriage and train to catch :wink: forget the 07:45 to LBG. Sydenham main station is by far a better station than Lower Sydenham.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

I often get the 07.52 to Charing Cross and there's always plenty of room, but I'm not sure about the Canon Street trains. Maybe they are busier. The last two or three carriages are always the most empty. I agree that Sydenham is a far nicer station experience.
ange73

Post by ange73 »

I'm an early bird at Lower Sydenham (use 6.52 and 7.26 regularly and occasionally the 6.30) and have found that these trains, 6.52 and 7.26, are heaving by the time it arrives at the station. This has been getting progressively worse over a number of years, think its due to high cost of living in town so more people moved out this way - and unfortunately its only a one train line - London to Hayes and back again.
Personally I feel that 10 carriages should be on every journey as trying to pack passengers onto a minimum 6 carriage train in peak time morning and evening is appalling service, which we are paying for.
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

Well I've been getting on the 07:40am to Cannon Street every morning and can say that by the time the train pulls in to Lower Sydenham there's no seats, you can just about get into the train.

This train service needs a minimum of 10 carriages, it's really not fair on the people from New Beckenham (maybe further back afield) to Lewisham.

I'm just glad I get off at Lewisham.

Southeastern is a cr*p service, doesn't run regularly enough, from the demand, it needs to run every 10 minutes. Why don't they just rip out the seats and make everyone stand? They'd be providing a better service than at present.

Also the gap, coming back on platform 2 from Lewisham, what the hell?!

Can't wait for the East London Line extension to finish, then I can go back to Sydenham and change at Canada Water. It's a long wait though, 2 years :cry: