Late Knights..coming soon?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
robbieduncan

Re: Late Knights..coming soon?

Post by robbieduncan »

They tweeted an interior shot of the new location. Looks like a very badly looked after front room!

https://instagram.com/p/0S_qNwxhDs/
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ohh, that looks like it could be amazing!

Any guesses?

It's obviously very old! But is it actually on the high street? Could it be the old upholsterers shop opposite the library? It was for sale a while back?
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Close they say. So somewhere in the vicinity of the library
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The old paint shop?

It used to be a pub. The original sign writing is still there under the signage they put not he top. The picture on instagram has a large tin of paint in the fireplace, which could be a clue!

No Cigar?
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Not since the smoking ban! I've no inside knowledge but that sounds like a good shout. I'd have thought there might be issues with a unit with no history of being a pub and planning
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Theres no smoking gun yet...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The only other places I can think of are the place that has loads of old bikes in it and the tyres place, but that is still a business. Although I've been in the tyres lace and it does look like this inside, except it's full of tyres.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

leenewham wrote:old bikes in it
Bob Porecha?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No, Lee. I've always had the same name.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

How about 5 and 7 Kent House Road?

No. 5 was a SEE3 Pop up shop but had no loo - so no great future as a retail unit on its own. However no.7 next door is empty - with the lovely ghost-sign "Steptoes" above the fascia. Long time, no trade - the interior should be interesting... Loo? Or no loo, too? South-facing, frontage (garden)....

Steptoes would be a great name for a new bar?

If not Late Knights then someone should look at these units and bring them back into use.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Insider knowledge Pat?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

No, no insider knowledge. Just taking a punt along with others....and looking forward to seeing the outcome of the tease....
van Essa

Post by van Essa »

It's definitely not 7 Kent House Road. Planning permission (for a coffee shop and flat) weren't granted just a few weeks back.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree Pat, although the only way to make them work int hat location would be as a destination place, as Late Knights would be, or Alexandra Nurseries is. It would have to be REALLY good to work there as there is zero footfall.

But with the right business it could work, and I bet they are really interesting inside and the rents cheap, which is one of the main ingredients to regeneration.

Long term empty shops in off beat locations often mean low rent + original features are cheaper to make attractive, mix that with some forward thinking people looking for an opportunity to indulge their passion and you have some tasty ingredients for regeneration, especially if there is a cluster of them.
Search East

Post by Search East »

We live round the corner from the upholsterers and I've recently seen lights on in there in the evening, which I've never seen before but then I saw someone working in there the other night and they looked like they were doing some......upholstery. It looks like an interesting building, bare brickwork, lots of old upholstery (?) tools and a hand cranked singer sewing machine, perfect hipster bar accessories! But great that someone's still using it anyway and it's not about to become yet another fried chicken or Indian takeaway.

My guess as to the Late Knights bar was the unit next to 2nd Creation opposite Lovely Gallery but there's a sign up saying they were applying for change of use to residential, it's also ajoined to residential buildings so not so great for a bar.

The nearer to us the better for staggering distance, we're really excited - hurry up Late Knights!

ScribbleBeth
(Search East's girlfriend)
katvg

Post by katvg »

I live by the upholsterers and it is actually an active shop, albeit it may not seem so from the outside. I have now become somewhat obsessed by trying to guess the location of the bar...cannot think where. I thought potentially Kent House Rd too, but perhaps not. Just can't think where there is a back garden space and licence! I agree hurry up! The suspense is too much!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

It's at the end of Kent House Road according to a recent tweet.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Bovine Juice wrote:It's at the end of Kent House Road according to a recent tweet.
Yes but what is it. A shop. Or a pub?
Search East

Post by Search East »

I'm pretty sure it's the previous 'pop-up' shop, just along from The Alfred pub.

I stopped to have a nose through the window very early one morning recently, when I was going past on a run and could see through to the rear of the shop. It has a small back window with with bars on it, which you can see on the intererior photo Late Knights put on Twitter of the place.

They put on Twitter on Wednesday that planning application has just gone in, so fingers crossed the council gives it the all clear with no delays and Sydenham gets a lovely new bar, which is not far from where I live. :)
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

What's the Alfred pub like? Looks smarter these days. Any decent ales?