Kirkdale High Street Update!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Kirkdale High Street Update!

Post by JMLF »

Kirkdale High Street update! It's been a while since I've posted a little promotion for this lovely developing bit of Sydenham!

New openings:
"Impressions" - a smallish clothing, gift and linen shop for women, men and children. Located next to the windmill.

"Emmanuelle Marshall" - Children's show shop. Located just round the bend after fig and pistachio on Dartmouth road. If you continue down Dartmouth road another 5 minutes if that there is also a relatively new children's clothes shop "kids on the hill" opposite forest hill pools.

Potential new openings/changes:
A black shop front/shutters opposite the piano shop which has been empty since I moved here in Feb last year has been "sold" and there is planning application for a new shop front...

That's amore which closed a few months ago now had a few people inside doing things the other day. Unclear if the unsubstantiated rumour of a Japanese restaurant are still true/what's happening here!

The boarded up/scaffolded flats on the high street had some workmen in the other day so hopefully not to far in the future that little stretch will look more respectable!

Other:
The 2 newest additions (which have been around for a good few months now), 161 Kirkdale and Fig and Pistachio are both absolutely lovely and exceptionally run plus has delicious food and drinks and I highly recommend both.
Tim Lund

Re: Kirkdale High Street Update!

Post by Tim Lund »

Well posted, JMLF :D
Kirkdalian

Post by Kirkdalian »

Great news - I noticed Emmanuelle Marshall shop open the other day, happy that I won't have to schlep to East Dulwich to buy children's shoes any more!

Does anyone know what is actually proposed for the big white building where the scaffolding has gone up? I know they have had a long history of planning applications for that building being refused.

Also, did we ever work out what is happening with the Windmill now - is the moratorium on its sale over?

I wish marymck still posted here as she always knows all about Kirkdale!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Thanks Tim!
Think it's important to promote local independent businesses, particularly as it's mostly word of mouth or spotting things round these parts so letting people know it's worth walking 10 minutes to an area they wouldn't normally go through for - baked goods and deli delicacies, children's shoes, antiques, retro furniture and clothes, upholstering, pianos, doors, beauty services, craft beers, fine wines and great food - things that may be lacking in other parts of Sydenham to some degree - is well worh a visit!
parker

Post by parker »

Yes, Mary knew a lot about Kirkdale but she took things said on here too much to heart while petitioning to have The Windmill become run into the ground as it is now by preventing Sainsbury's opening there. Double edge sword really...
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

Thanks for the update JMLF. It's great that new businesses are opening in Kirkdale High Street and I completely agree with you on Fig and Pistachio and 161.

Hopefully their success will tempt someone to take over at the Windmill at 125 Kirkdale (I think the site is still up for sale, ad below). Fingers crossed that something is planned for That's Amore too.

http://www.eatongreen.com/property/part ... /May%20Let
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Ooh, excited at the possibility of a Japanese restaurant opening
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Great post JMLF

Dorothey from Emmanuel Marshall is so lovely and used to be at ED Warehouse.

Her speciality is fitting which is so important with kids feet. I wish her all the best.

Her soft launch was last Sunday 4th but she's preparing a proper launch soon, I'll keep all updated :)

Totally agree that all new local businesses that have opened lately on Kirkdale are great and all should support them if you like what they are doing.

Pauline
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just rolled past the one of the charity shops opposite forest hill pools (think it's called "clothes for causes" or something similar) which will be moving to none other then 105 Kirkdale on Feb 24th should the window sign be accurate!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just doing my monthly or so update! Quite a few changes a happening...

Clothes for causes - new opening - great charity shop stocking much more then just clothes (false advertising tut tut hehe) previously directly opposite forest hill pools. Location: opposite the piano shop, just before fig and pistachio if coming from SYdenham.

Le Shakes - ? (Unsure when opening) - Maybe a milkshake place is my only decent guess. Location: a sign has gone up where the former "cash brothers" 2nd hand shop was, a few doors before the aforementioned new charity shop coming from Sydenham.

Bose Chicken - new refurb inside and out of the chicken shop opposite the Coral. Re-Opening soon.

Other: No scaffolding! The scaffolding has been taken down outside the flats near The Windmill. The look of wonderment and amazement on people's faces walking past has been pretty funny. No idea how long it had been up for. Unclear if work was done just to make whatever safe and for the scaffold to be taken down or whether ongoing work will be done inside the empty shop spaces/flats.

That's all I think. Please do add if there's anything I've missed!

Enjoy the weekend :)
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

Thanks for the update JMLF - I was one of the people staring up at the flats now the scaffolding has come down. There seems to have been plenty of work going on with the ground floor recently so hopefully it won't be too long before that is completed too.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Thanks Steve!

Apologies for 2 shop details and some news I have forgotten to add!

Munro Upholstery - Upholsterers! - location: In between Tesco and 161 Food and wine, about opposite Alhambra (tiles textiles gifts and Spanish deli goods). Website: http://m.munroupholstery.com

The Greedy Chef - Indian takeaway/cafe being renovated/redone, previously Al Maidah. Location: Just round the corner after the roundabout heading from Kirkdale down to forest hill. A few doors down from Gabbys (Jamaican takeaway) and opposite Emmanuelle Marshall (children's shoes).
Website (only thing I could find):
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Greedy-che ... 2354621877

News:
The windmill has been granted protection as a community asset - meaning from what I gather it will hopefully be used as a community venue of sorts and/or pub.

There appears to be some planning application and "exciting" plans for the old costume hire shop in between IBS bakery and Doorz.. Stay tuned I guess and fingers crossed will be a great addition to a great little high street.
John J Rambo

Post by John J Rambo »

Does anyone know anything more about the successor to That's Amore? Nothing seems to have happened for a while now.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

John J - I walk past it twice daily and haven't seen anything happening in that's amore at all unfortunately so far..

IBS bakery is re-opening after a little break with a small poster welcoming locals to taste their new breads/delights tomorrow (2nd) and Friday (3rd) from 8-9am. It doesn't state of free tasters etc or whether just advertising new recipes/ideas/produce to try.

The greedy chef Indian take away has now opened

Clothes for causes are advertising for volunteers

Enjoy the long weekend everyone who has it off and a shorter/normal one those who don't!

Jon
vizzle

Post by vizzle »

Looks like another place is about to open on Kirkdale - La Shakes? It's near the Clothes For Causes shop. Anyone know what it is? Mmmm... milkshakes?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

John J (and the rest of the forum!) - some make shift signs have been put in the windows of that's amore...

A sushi and grill place is "opening soon" and they are also advertising for staff.

:D :) :P :!:
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

this must be the sushi place that was suggested on here a few years ago - someone wanting to know if we here thought it would work, and wanted advice on where to open up.
finally coming good - hurrah! must visit when I get a chance.
John J Rambo

Post by John J Rambo »

Crikey, a sushi place? Will definitely be visiting.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Indeed, good on them. Can't wait til it opens
Abby

Post by Abby »

Hello

Any news of the development of the black shuttered building opposite the piano shop, I'm thinking of buying a flat above and so need to find out the usage of the retail units below, any help greatly appreciated :)